Lacking enthusiasm- any similar? One for over 60s.

thaibeachlovers

Since I turned 60 I have lacked enthusiasm, don't get excited about anything, can't be bothered about much, hard to make an effort about anything, have to force myself to get up and do jobs, don't laugh much anymore.

Had every blood test the NHS provides and nothing comes up as out of the ordinary. Treated with drugs for depression, but made no difference. Dr has no idea of cause.

I suffer badly from hayfever, so it might be an allergy of some sort.

Is this just a normal part of the ageing process? I don't know many over 60 people, but those I do, don't seem to have a similar problem.

Any of you suffer from similar symptoms?

Thanks.

• Like 1

The OP does not mention where he lives, but he does mention the NHS, which suggests to me he lives in the UK, if I still lived in Canada I would have the blahs also. Move to Thailand if you aren't already here. Sheryl, I find being old in Thailand is far better than being old in Canada. People of all ages seem to hang together in Thailand, at least in the villages.

• Like 1

Since I turned 60 and retired in Thailand I'm full of enthusiasm, I get exited about everything, I do lots of things I didn't use to do before and even if I can't complete what I'm doing I give it a go and put my best effort.

I go to bed at 10 in the night wake up at 6:00 in the morning to appreciate the beautiful sunrise and the morning breeze.

I do laugh a lot and when others are miserable around me I make them laugh also.

Have blood test every 6 months and every time the doctor gives me the same answer.

You will live.

No, what you got is not normal process of ageing, it's yourself.

Change your diet, change your habits, change the way you are living

Fight it man.

60 you are still young, enjoy the many years you have still to come.

Never surrender.

And sometimes go and find a young lady and have a nice time with her.

It works miracles.

Careful your wife doesn't know, because you will not go of old age.

<60 you are still young, enjoy the many years you have still to come.>

I passed 60 long ago, but that was about when this problem started. Hasn't changed since then. Everything is flat.

< find a young lady and have a nice time with her.>

Don't need to go look. My wife qualifies on every level.

Thanks.

No sorry you feel like that life is great every day are you feeling depressed?

<life is great every day>

That is the problem in a nutshell. I know that life is as good as it could ever get for me, and that I should be enjoying every day, like I used to, but with this problem I just don't feel anything much at all.

If I was on my death bed I'd be thinking that I should have enjoyed it, but what a waste that I didn't!

<are you feeling depressed?>

Probably have a low grade depression, but not severe by any means.

Been down the drugs and counselling route, but neither changed anything.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Bummer, Beach ...

I feel the same way, and I'm still three years off your mark.

In the States, I spent an hour or more in the gym six days a week. I used a few supplements that were easily sourced at a local health food store, and were cheap. I ate clean.

After dinner, I walked down a tree-lined street, no vehicle exhaust, no snarling dogs, no burning plastic, to the bay and fished off the dock. Or up to the community college, where there were 16 tennis courts and four practice walls, and played tennis.

I went to museums, art galleries, and restaurants where the toilet paper was in the bathroom, not the on the table, and the servers made sure we were taken care of.

If I needed something for any of my various ongoing projects --- rebuilding a '66 Mustang convertible; building and finishing a piece of furniture; finding a book I heard was a good read; locating an ingredient for a new dish I wanted to make; build a house; go to the range and fire off a few hundred rounds, or the desert and shoot a thousand. The list is long and filled with things I no longer do.

Here, almost everything I have tried to accomplish is met with obstacles. Almost everyone I try to do business with, or strike up a relationship of any kind with, considers face first.

This has ultimately led me to stop trying, and do nothing. I am not someone who does nothing. I have always filled my life with interesting, and quite intentionally, smarter folks than myself, so I could learn something. Here, I have been asked, over five years, perhaps a thousand times, do I like spicy.

For me, it's the environment. Boredom is dangerous.

No, your symptoms are not a part of the normal aging process.

< it's the environment. Boredom is dangerous. >

Not environmental. Lived in 3 different countries since it started.

Whatever my life is, it isn't boring. I have a million things to do. The problem is I don't have the enthusiasm to do them. The problem existed when I was working full time too, and nursing is anything but boring.

If I force myself, I'll go do things, but I should WANT to do them. After all, they are all things I used to enjoy immensly.

From the replies so far, it does seem as though my problem is not part of the normal ageing process. I started worrying when I found out a friend's 80 year old father was more enthusiastic than I.

Could be low testosterone.

Follow this link to see if the symptoms match and if so ask for a blood test. It's curable, don't give up.

http://www.nebido.com/en/patients/check-yourself/adam-test/index.php

One of the first things I thought of. Had the test already.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Mate (OP), I have led a fairly active life, one way or another thumbsup.gif , as an older guy than you I am now in a similar position, the adventure has gone, though I have found a couple of things that interest me. When I look at stuff I am very similar to my parents as they aged, meaning perhaps stuff changes as we get older, the way we look at things.

For me friendship is a big plus, but alas hard to find cos folk have their idea in older life and for sure friendship ain't one for many, just their wee world that "age" has brought them. Sorry, difficult to put into words...smile.png

• Like 2

Bummer, Beach ...

In the States, I spent an hour or more in the gym six days a week. I used a few supplements that were easily sourced at a local health food store, and were cheap. I ate clean.

After dinner, I walked down a tree-lined street, no vehicle exhaust, no snarling dogs, no burning plastic, to the bay and fished off the dock. Or up to the community college, where there were 16 tennis courts and four practice walls, and played tennis.

I went to museums, art galleries, and restaurants where the toilet paper was in the bathroom, not the on the table, and the servers made sure we were taken care of.

If I needed something for any of my various ongoing projects --- rebuilding a '66 Mustang convertible; building and finishing a piece of furniture; finding a book I heard was a good read; locating an ingredient for a new dish I wanted to make; build a house; go to the range and fire off a few hundred rounds, or the desert and shoot a thousand. The list is long and filled with things I no longer do.

Here, almost everything I have tried to accomplish is met with obstacles. Almost everyone I try to do business with, or strike up a relationship of any kind with, considers face first.

This has ultimately led me to stop trying, and do nothing. I am not someone who does nothing. I have always filled my life with interesting, and quite intentionally, smarter folks than myself, so I could learn something. Here, I have been asked, over five years, perhaps a thousand times, do I like spicy.

If its so bad what the hell are you doing there ?

What you describe sounds like mild depression.

Do check your testosterone levels as this can sometimes be linked to low T.

If not, you might consider counseling -- some short term therapy to help you deal with the depression. It may have to do with the particular challenges this phase of life presents. At this age, you know most of your life is behind you and you have also seen through a lot of the things that used to attract you/seem like a source of happiness. You can't get excited about them because you know their limits already. ..been there/done that/not all it's cracked up to be.

That's natural. But you need to find other avenues of meaning for yourself to successfully navigate late middle age/start of old age.

It is especially hard due to the tremendous emphasis on youth our culture places. It doesn't really offer us any solutions other than to try to stave off aging/look and act as young as possible, which is not really the healthiest approach. It was easier in traditional societies which accepted aging and put value on older people's experience of life.

As I said, had the testosterone test.

Been down the councelling and drug route for depression, as the Dr was trying everything possible

< It may have to do with the particular challenges this phase of life presents>

Started long before I retired. Far from my life being over when I retired, I was looking forward to it and being able to live full time in Thailand. Have a long list of things to do now that I'm not working. Unfortunately most of them will never get done, unless I can get some enthusiasm back into my life. I KNOW that I should be enjoying every day, but I just don't and it's not a mind over matter thing. Something is definitely wrong, but what?

Mate (OP), I have led a fairly active life, one way or another thumbsup.gif , as an older guy than you I am now in a similar position, the adventure has gone, though I have found a couple of things that interest me. When I look at stuff I am very similar to my parents as they aged, meaning perhaps stuff changes as we get older, the way we look at things.

For me friendship is a big plus, but alas hard to find cos folk have their idea in older life and for sure friendship ain't one for many, just their wee world that "age" has brought them. Sorry, difficult to put into words...smile.png

I do still have adventures. I take my wife lots of places in Thailand. The bummer is though, that when we go somewhere I'd have been enthralled with 10 years ago, I'm thinking ho hum. That's what I mean about lacking enthusiasm. I just don't get a buzz out of life anymore, which really is a shame.

I went to Penang on a visa run a while back, but when I got there I was so unenthusiastic I cut my planned week there to 2 days and came back home to watch rubbish on tv instead.

Bummer, Beach ...

Perhaps he got married, or has other responsibilities that keep him here. A lot can change in 5 years.

• Like 1

To be honest.....wake up brother

Do I have similar symptoms..of course I bloody do. Sometimes I wake up and think...hurry the fark up and get this over. But I realise this is my dog day...there's a lot more to be achieved. Non of us is perfect and sometimes we make hard work out of life.

enjoy life...accept when it's mundane and remember plenty of us feel similar. You aren't alone and you can help someone else by being you. This time it was by simply asking your question.

You have friends and someone always cares, even some TV people smile.png

< But I realise this is my dog day...there's a lot more to be achieved. Non of us is perfect and sometimes we make hard work out of life.

enjoy life...accept when it's mundane and remember plenty of us feel similar>

I think you miss the point or misunderstand. It's not a "dog day" or a temporary "down". It's a permanent, every day thing for years and years.

Enjoy life- I wish I could, and theoretically there is no reason I can't- it just doesn't happen anymore. Hence this thread.

Hay fever gets worst in Thailand because the pollution and the tropical weather and flora. I am 70, and I suffered of it all my life, and it is very depressing if you cannot control it with good medication. Here I use sulidine and nasol, an over the counter and cheap antihistaminics that works good without any side effects. Anyway, I do not like the hot weather and humidity, and it is a factor in feeling low in energy and motivation to do any exercise or house chores many times, but very early in the morning and late evenings are good times to exercise, or just walking around. If you live in an apartment and not in a house, also may be a reason for felling down and isolated. Happens with myself. I prefer a small house with a nice garden that a big apartment. Living in a house it is easier to make friends with neighbords, to have pets to take care and play, and find things to keep you busy.

And...better than all that, living in good and loving company. Solitude is not a good advicer. Take care.

I do still have adventures. I take my wife lots of places in Thailand. The bummer is though, that when we go somewhere I'd have been enthralled with 10 years ago, I'm thinking ho hum. That's what I mean about lacking enthusiasm. I just don't get a buzz out of life anymore, which really is a shame.

I went to Penang on a visa run a while back, but when I got there I was so unenthusiastic I cut my planned week there to 2 days and came back home to watch rubbish on tv instead.

I am the same, w00t.gif

Hay fever gets worst in Thailand because the pollution and the tropical weather and flora. I am 70, and I suffered of it all my life, and it is very depressing if you cannot control it with good medication. Here I use sulidine and nasol, an over the counter and cheap antihistaminics that works good without any side effects. Anyway, I do not like the hot weather and humidity, and it is a factor in feeling low in energy and motivation to do any exercise or house chores many times, but very early in the morning and late evenings are good times to exercise, or just walking around. If you live in an apartment and not in a house, also may be a reason for felling down and isolated. Happens with myself. I prefer a small house with a nice garden that a big apartment. Living in a house it is easier to make friends with neighbords, to have pets to take care and play, and find things to keep you busy.

And...better than all that, living in good and loving company. Solitude is not a good advicer. Take care.

I have very little trouble with hayfever in Thailand. In London it was really bad though.

<living in good and loving company>

Thankfully my wife takes care of that.

Thanks.

Bummer, Beach ...

Perhaps he got married, or has other responsibilities that keep him here. A lot can change in 5 years.

True, just mean that when i don't like it here I am gone. Yes I got responsibilities too but life is too short to live without enjoying. I been in a bad relation in the past and those were lost years. I vowed never to have these problems again. Of course things can be complicated if there are kids of if you cant get your partner to your home country ect. Still i would do my best to get into a situation where i feel good.

Could be low testosterone.

Follow this link to see if the symptoms match and if so ask for a blood test. It's curable, don't give up.

http://www.nebido.com/en/patients/check-yourself/adam-test/index.php

One of the first things I thought of. Had the test already.

and how high was it?

Still within the normal limits doesn't mean it is high enough for you

And did they test for Free Testosterone or only Total. If on the NHS I suspect only total which could be misleading.

• Like 1

Possibly take Sheryl's good advice and get some bloowork . Unfortunately if you see a psychiatrist this may be the last thing they would do and just give you a pill to treat symptoms ( don't know about here but this is the drill in the west ) rather than look for root of problem . Check things like vitamin D3 and cortisol and extensive checking of hormones with testing of fasting glucose levels .

• Like 1

thaibeachlovers, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:48, said:thaibeachlovers, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:48, said:thaibeachlovers, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:48, said:
HeijoshinCool, on 13 Sept 2014 - 18:44, said:HeijoshinCool, on 13 Sept 2014 - 18:44, said:HeijoshinCool, on 13 Sept 2014 - 18:44, said:

Bummer, Beach ...

< it's the environment. Boredom is dangerous. >

Not environmental. Lived in 3 different countries since it started.

Whatever my life is, it isn't boring. I have a million things to do. The problem is I don't have the enthusiasm to do them. The problem existed when I was working full time too, and nursing is anything but boring.

If I force myself, I'll go do things, but I should WANT to do them. After all, they are all things I used to enjoy immensly.

From the replies so far, it does seem as though my problem is not part of the normal ageing process. I started worrying when I found out a friend's 80 year old father was more enthusiastic than I.

This seems like a well documented syndrome with retired men, they subconsciously believe there is nothing left to do, to live for.. depression sets in and many die within 5 years of retiring, in fact they almost will themselves to die. What to do, well, get out of the house, force yourself to do something, hobbies, new activities eg dancing, volunteer work, join a local men's group etc... but DO something.

Edited by MediaWatcher
  • Like 1

What you describe sounds like mild depression.

Do check your testosterone levels as this can sometimes be linked to low T.

If not, you might consider counseling -- some short term therapy to help you deal with the depression. It may have to do with the particular challenges this phase of life presents. At this age, you know most of your life is behind you and you have also seen through a lot of the things that used to attract you/seem like a source of happiness. You can't get excited about them because you know their limits already. ..been there/done that/not all it's cracked up to be.

That's natural. But you need to find other avenues of meaning for yourself to successfully navigate late middle age/start of old age.

It is especially hard due to the tremendous emphasis on youth our culture places. It doesn't really offer us any solutions other than to try to stave off aging/look and act as young as possible, which is not really the healthiest approach. It was easier in traditional societies which accepted aging and put value on older people's experience of life.

As I said, had the testosterone test.

Been down the councelling and drug route for depression, as the Dr was trying everything possible

< It may have to do with the particular challenges this phase of life presents>

Started long before I retired. Far from my life being over when I retired, I was looking forward to it and being able to live full time in Thailand. Have a long list of things to do now that I'm not working. Unfortunately most of them will never get done, unless I can get some enthusiasm back into my life. I KNOW that I should be enjoying every day, but I just don't and it's not a mind over matter thing. Something is definitely wrong, but what?

I felt really worn out and lethargic for a long time. Finally the doctor checked my thyroid function. Diagnosed an underactive thyroid - hypothyroidism. Prescribed medicine to take daily and after a few weeks I feel much, much better.

• Like 2