Engine oil is consistently overfilled by the dealer

funlovinkid

all changing oil is just taking out a bolt and changing the filter.

I am with you I dont think Thais can do anything correctly. They just arent meticulous or concerned with details at all. I would do it myself for sure. You get the best quality oil and filters this way too.

I gotta say though I used to put a little too much oil in my engine every now and then and I never worried about it. They are probably doing it for the wrong (ie stupid) reasons though.

Who stamps and signs your service book if it is still under warranty ?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done 2 oil changes on my pick-up after the first 2 clowns stuffed it.

1/ At B-quik I went in for an oil and filter, went for a walk into big C came back after 15 minutes and my pick-up is up on the hoist with the wheels off! They did the oil change and put the wheels back on, the monkey backed out and drove down the forecourt to the office with oil pissing out underneath. The engine bay was a mess! Filter not on properly. So they went to car wash cleaned it after fitting another filter and oil.

2/ At the servo in Thepprasit Rd opposite the second -hand market there is a woman who does oil and filter work. Got an oil change and filter. Next day head to Phitsanalok, get to the village in the dark. Cum out next morning and there is a puddle underneath. The woman had not tightened the filter properly. I had to add a litre and a half.

I can't trust these Thai spanner twirlers any more so I will do my own service.

all changing oil is just taking out a bolt and changing the filter.

I am with you I dont think Thais can do anything correctly. They just arent meticulous or concerned with details at all. I would do it myself for sure. You get the best quality oil and filters this way too.

I gotta say though I used to put a little too much oil in my engine every now and then and I never worried about it. They are probably doing it for the wrong (ie stupid) reasons though.

Who stamps and signs your service book if it is still under warranty ?

Document and sign yourself & keep receipts itemized with mileage/date recorded.....

Firstly i must say i dont know of any engines that the distributor drives the oil pump, the pump usally runs straight off the cam, it also has offset slots in the top to drive the distributor, some engines had a removable drive so it could be pulled out and turned so the distributor position could be changed,

Secondly, to wind over a diesel engine without it starting, take the connection off the solenoid on the injector pump, or find a fuse that does the same,,,

• Like 1

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2 litre

Book says 4.5 litres with filter at oil change time.

Always put in 5 litres - what am I going to do with a 1/2 litre ?? Wait for 9 oil changes and put all the saved oil in then ?

Almost 20 years. Never an issue.

Mountains out of molehills comes to mind.

Firstly i must say i dont know of any engines that the distributor drives the oil pump, the pump usally runs straight off the cam, it also has offset slots in the top to drive the distributor, some engines had a removable drive so it could be pulled out and turned so the distributor position could be changed,

Secondly, to wind over a diesel engine without it starting, take the connection off the solenoid on the injector pump, or find a fuse that does the same,,,

There are millions of engines out there where distributer drives the oil pump. rolleyes.gif

Just for you... The distributer gear engages with the cam gear, the oil pump drive "rod" slides inside the distributer, so, cam turns distributer, dizzy turns the oil pump. Ford used a hex rod, Pontiac used a slot.....smile.png

Secondly, to wind over a diesel engine without it starting, take the connection off the solenoid on the injector pump, or find a fuse that does the same,,

Many older model VW engines still running.

Overfilling the oil is not a problem on dry sump or total loss systems. The issue with over-filling is usually the the reduced airspace in the sump causing it to pressurise slightly. That reduces the pressure differential between above and below a piston on it's power-stroke. It also means that oil-seals which are designed for an unpressurised situation will be subject to this sump pressure and likely fail fairly quickly.

• Like 1

Yes, but still the link he provided says the same thing, the distributor distributes wholesale, the dealer sells directly to the public. So I guess to be more clear I should have said distributor = wholesale, dealer = direct retail sales..

Overfilling the oil is not a problem on dry sump or total loss systems. The issue with over-filling is usually the the reduced airspace in the sump causing it to pressurise slightly. That reduces the pressure differential between above and below a piston on it's power-stroke. It also means that oil-seals which are designed for an unpressurised situation will be subject to this sump pressure and likely fail fairly quickly.

Where did you read that...?

Where did you read that...?

I didn't read it --- I wrote it :)

positive crankcase ventilation (PCV), you should read up on it.

• Like 1

Read what link? Experience trumps reading anyday ;)

Read what link? Experience trumps reading anyday wink.png

That has to be the most inane comment on this thread!

Edited by wilcopops

I'm surprised that no-one has realised yet that there really is no point in trying to discuss anything on here once WarpedSeed has opined.

As he suggested, we can all discuss a subject but bear in mind that the answer he gives will always, without exception, be the correct one. He has the ultimate knowledge about everything connected to motor vehicles, the rest of us are just plain wrong and always will be. Simple as that.

Err..maybe.

Edited by Triplebank999
  • Like 1

Going back to the topic - the OP was obviously concerned about the levels of oil his dealer was filling to. Every engine has these levels marked by the manufacturer for good reasons and they should be observed. If the dealer is getting that simple task wrong - I'd ask what other, less-visible mistakes is he making ;)

Some of the oldest tricks are worth trying. Marking the caps of the various liquids reservoirs, the position of little marks you make in the dirt surrounding nuts that should be adjusted, etc. With todays ease of taking a photo, the dealer can be called to explain as soon as you collect the car, if there is any apparent lack of attention.

Don't hesitate to report the dealer to the manufacturer. Your complaint on it's own might not mean much, but for all you know there might hundreds already,,,,,, ;)

What i wrote is correct, also, i havent rebuilt any tonka toy engines since the mid-70s, so what you say might be right, im not disputin that, so in colusion to most of your posts, you might be good at pulling people out of the river, but you would never think about going upstream to see why they are falling in,,,

There are millions of engines out there where distributer drives the oil pump. rolleyes.gif

Just for you... The distributer gear engages with the cam gear, the oil pump drive "rod" slides inside the distributer, so, cam turns distributer, dizzy turns the oil pump. Ford used a hex rod, Pontiac used a slot.....smile.png

I'm surprised that no-one has realised yet that there really is no point in trying to discuss anything on here once WarpedSeed has opined.

As he suggested, we can all discuss a subject but bear in mind that the answer he gives will always, without exception, be the correct one. He has the ultimate knowledge about everything connected to motor vehicles, the rest of us are just plain wrong and always will be. Simple as that.

Err..maybe.

Ut oh envy is the devils work, not sure why you brought me back into this? You must be feeling depressed and needed a good arse kicking to wake you up again.

Tell me then besides other valid points who else here brought up cavitation and damaging air production introduced into the oil to impeded proper lubrication from the crank hitting the oil? Rhetorical BTW..

Edited by WarpSpeed

What i wrote is correct, also, i havent rebuilt any tonka toy engines since the mid-70s, so what you say might be right, im not disputin that, so in colusion to most of your posts, you might be good at pulling people out of the river, but you would never think about going upstream to see why they are falling in,,,

Sorry chum but you, as a mechanic, didn't know of any engines where the dizzy drove the oil pump, all I did was point out that there have been tens of millions driven this way. No need to argue when you were wrong....rolleyes.gif

Sorry chum but you, as a mechanic, didn't know of any engines where the dizzy drove the oil pump, all I did was point out that there have been tens of millions driven this way. No need to argue when you were wrong....rolleyes.gif

Yep Iam with you Transman, plenty of the old stuff had the dizzy driving the oil pump. Mainly the V8's though.