Should Thailand's tourist police be given a new uniform to reflect a more friendlier image ?

David48

I have half a dozen female cop friends, two are unattached lovely ladies.......thumbsup.gif ...whistling.gif

Just what I need for my correction regime

Having done some bird in a previous life , food and board excellent in UK .clap2.gif

Would I have to pay Bar fine , for these lovely ladies to lock me up.giggle.gif

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen ... good to see some lighthearted humour in said designs ... great to see everyone's imagination working, but perhaps the 'friendly meter' has swung to far the other way.

Is there no middle ground between 'The Village People' and a Gestapo outfit?

wombles-names-bloomsbury-400x216.jpg

... and before anyone suggests it ... no ... the wombles do not qualify!

I think half the problem with their image is the use of the word 'Police'

Without getting into discussion about who they are or what they do (or think they can do)

Why not have 'Beach Patrol' - in a more 'relaxed' uniform - and portrayed as someone to help Tourists with directions, First aid, lifesaving and in some cases helping with information in disputes or to victims of a crime.

Far too many look (and think) like Rambo - because they are allowed to - and have the word 'POLICE' displayed prominently.

The very word 'Police' is the problem (in my humble opinion)

• Like 2

I think half the problem with their image is the use of the word 'Police'

Without getting into discussion about who they are or what they do (or think they can do)

Why not have 'Beach Patrol' - in a more 'relaxed' uniform - and portrayed as someone to help Tourists with directions, First aid, lifesaving and in some cases helping with information in disputes or to victims of a crime.

Far too many look (and think) like Rambo - because they are allowed to - and have the word 'POLICE' displayed prominently.

The very word 'Police' is the problem (in my humble opinion)

Good idea Baywatch!

• Like 1

They should just use a normal ID tag, nothing more. As they are volunteers only. Let them wear normal civilian dress. They arent COP anyways. ( though some of them walks and talks like Rambo...)

I always thought the black storm trooper type outfits were way over the top for TPV's in Pattaya. And of course all the police/military type gadgets attached to their belts only added to a somewhat overpowering look for a person that has no police powers. I think some, if not most, of the TPV's are on some kind of ego trip (cop wanna bees) and the couple that I approached over the years were, although not hostile, weren't particularly friendly. I think the TPV's are a good idea. My suggestion for a uniform would be simple khaki slacks or shorts, white tee shirt and cap. And a attitude change for some of the volunteers!

Edited by Spaniel

Gentlemen ... good to see some lighthearted humour in said designs ... great to see everyone's imagination working, but perhaps the 'friendly meter' has swung to far the other way.

David what about selling advertising space on the TPVs?

They could be sponsored by McDonalds. Pizza Hut, Leo, Chang, Durex etc.

There seems to lots of references to the Pattaya Tourist Police (and Volunteers).

Is that because they are very active there?

... maybe more respected?

Asking ... not telling.

I think respected is one word that is not normally associated with these types of Walt, certainly though they are laughed at. The antics on Big Trouble in Thailand of these special people cemented their infamy some years back.

Cargo pants in some nice, cream colour. A fluffy light blue or pink Polo shirt with the words "Tourist Assistant - Big Hug Available!" prominently displayed on the back.

That should make the worst stormtrooper spawn quit.

• Like 2

David what about selling advertising space on the TPVs?

They could be sponsored by McDonalds. Pizza Hut, Leo, Chang, Durex etc.

Or TigerClaw Industries (the worlds first manufacturer of the TGAU).

how much do you think one would have to pay the RTP to get the TPV's logo changed to a Gerbil ?

maybe TCI should sponsor some TGAU's for the TPV so they can hang them off their utility belts, you never know they might come across a person in need during one of their patrols...

• Like 1

It they had to dress and look friendlier they would all quit. The only reason they are into this stuff is for one thing their ego! The only thing they have going since they have no power unless a BIB is with them is the way they dress! And just watch the Thai police with them too their ego are so inflated that they have a atta boy tagging along.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

Are the Tourist Police not a separate entity to the volunteers?

I believe that I read 3 months ago that they would be combined. Now if they can just adjust their ego's. I certainly am not saying all, but some should not be on the force. They are just there for the power trip, and the brass knows who they are. Easy to identify.

Most are frustrated peole who could not get a job in a real Police Force in any event.

The fact that they swagger about and portray intelligence issomething I smile at gently. being an ex-coper myself I think they should do what they were intended to do assist when requested by the RTP to help a foreigner, NOT to STRUT ABOUT.OFT TIMES THEY HAVE TOLD ME THEY KNOW THE LAW AS THEY ARE THE POLICE, i JUST LAUGH AND IGNORE THEM. THEY ARE TO MY MIND PITIFUL EXCUSES FOR THE REAL POLICE WHICH IN MY BOOK AREN'T MUCH BETTER.

• Like 1