Microsoft Thailand to kill off Windows 7 support on October 31, 2014

george

Microsoft Thailand to kill off Windows 7 support on October 31, 2014
post-128-0-49479400-1412318677_thumb.png

Synnex Thailand announces the end of Windows 7

BANGKOK: -- Microsoft Thailand is pulling the plug on mainstream support for Windows 7 from October 31, 2014, as the product "reach EOL".

From November 1, 2014 users running the four-year-old operating system will no longer receive new features or service packs from the technology giant.

“End of support refers to the date when Microsoft no longer provides automatic fixes, updates, or online technical assistance,” says Synnex Thailand in an email to their dealers in Thailand.

In April, Microsoft ended extended support for Windows XP, leaving users without any technical support or security updates. This means users still running the 12-year-old operating system are left vulnerable to viruses and malware that could put their information at risk.

tvn.png
-- 2014-10-03

I don't know how this is relevant for my Windows 7 installation.

The official statements from MS (central) say: "end of lifetime" is Jan 2015.

So no new features/upgrades (e.g. for new hardware or the like).

But security relevant bug fixes (extended support) will be provided until Jan 2020,

So i don't panic about this announcement.

+1. Not relevant at all as KhunBenq already said security fixes will still be provided another 5 years, but you will not get new features etc. Edited by MJCM

What "new features" have been added to Win 7 over the last few years anyway....or even since it was first launched---I mean something truly significant? Maybe they have been some and I just haven't noticed them as I've been running Win 7 on one of my machines since Win 7 was initially released. Seems updates after its initial release were always related to patching a security issue...and this type of support will continue to Jan 2020.

So, just like Windows ME they are dumping Win 8 in favor of Win 10 which to me is an admitted marketing screwup.

Maybe by 2020 They'll have Windows 7.1 that people will actually like. That would be the Win 7 GUI with the improved Win 8/Win 10 kernel.

Microsoft hasn't been on the ball lately. They totally miscalculated the coming popularity of smartphones and tablets and let Google take that away with linux/android. The only people who need a Windows OS on a tablet are those who interface with Server.

So, just like Windows ME they are dumping Win 8 in favor of Win 10 which to me is an admitted marketing screwup.

Maybe by 2020 They'll have Windows 7.1 that people will actually like. That would be the Win 7 GUI with the improved Win 8/Win 10 kernel.

Microsoft hasn't been on the ball lately. They totally miscalculated the coming popularity of smartphones and tablets and let Google take that away with linux/android. The only people who need a Windows OS on a tablet are those who interface with Server.

Microsoft have never been good in the mobile device arena, even before Android came onto the scene.

Windows Phone 7/8 is actually a very easy to use OS and many of my team actually prefer it to Android and iOS for the simple things like messaging, browsing and phone calls which is most of what they do.

• Like 1

But security relevant bug fixes (extended support) will be provided until Jan 2020,

Well put, I wonder why the original post couldn't mention extended support ending in 2020 as well?

• Like 1

Reading this in my early morning pre-coffee bleary-eyed condition, I began to think "what ought I do about my Windows 7 laptop which is only 2 years old?" Then I remembered that I had bought a Mac.

Yes, I have had problems with my Mac - Outlook is missing certain items, as is Excel - but they are MS products and so I am not surprised.

No need to worry about viruses. Never have had a blue screen. Everything works. No conflicts between anti-virus and other items. I am never going back to MS Windows anything.

• Like 1

Well put, I wonder why the original post couldn't mention extended support ending in 2020 as well?

Maybe just to boost sales of Win 8 ?

Edited by MJCM

They will only stop support for all the Thai hacked versions ... giggle.gif

That's Germany and not Asia, the Asian version is separate.

So are you saying that all support for the Asian version will be stopped, but the versions for the rest of the world will get support till 2020? Edited by MJCM

humqdpf, on 03 Oct 2014 - 16:56, said:humqdpf, on 03 Oct 2014 - 16:56, said:humqdpf, on 03 Oct 2014 - 16:56, said:

Reading this in my early morning pre-coffee bleary-eyed condition, I began to think "what ought I do about my Windows 7 laptop which is only 2 years old?" Then I remembered that I had bought a Mac.

Yes, I have had problems with my Mac - Outlook is missing certain items, as is Excel - but they are MS products and so I am not surprised.

No need to worry about viruses. Never have had a blue screen. Everything works. No conflicts between anti-virus and other items. I am never going back to MS Windows anything.

wow...took 13 comments before the first Mac, how many now before someone brings up that "Penguin" OS.

Edited by MediaWatcher
  • Like 1

Damn, I have not even installed yet, still running XP. MS keeps dumping the good systems and forces you to use their new, not yet serviceable system.

Personally I think you are crazy to stay at XP but everyone has it's reasons why. Like programs that will not run in any other versions, but you also could use a VM for that (but thats not what this topic is about)

You still can install Win7 and get Security Updates till early 2020.

Look here for the list of EOL for Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Mainstream Support Ends for ALL Win 7 Products Jan 13, 2015, End of extended Support Jan 14, 2020

Mainstream Support Ends for ALL Win 8 Products Jan 9, 2018, End of extended Support Jan 10, 2023

I am not belonging to the Microsoft-staff but I have my below Statement from the offical Microsoft Support LifeCycle Website: http://support2.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=de-de&x=6&y=11&c2=14019

where the LifeCycles for all Windows 7 Versions are clearly mentioned (in German language). If this data is valid for genuine Windows 7 sold in Germany only ... I do not know this. But anywhere else in the world - also in Thailand - ione should be able to find the official Microsoft Websites valid for your country where you did buy a genuine Windows 7 as I did in Germany.

My Statement: As far as I know (in Germany) Microsoft is providing "Extended Support" for Windows 7 until January, 2020. Only "Mainstream Support" (security and function updates) will end on 13th January, 2015.

So are you saying that all support for the Asian version will be stopped, but the versions for the rest of the world will get support till 2020?

That's my reading on what was said. The Asian version of W7 can only be initialized in Asia (except Singapore), I'm guessing that MS is looking to force Asia to upgrade whilst leaving existing markets in the US/Europe untouched. It smacks of being a revenue generating scheme to me, I mean, W7 is not that old.

So are you saying that all support for the Asian version will be stopped, but the versions for the rest of the world will get support till 2020?

That's my reading on what was said. The Asian version of W7 can only be initialized in Asia (except Singapore), I'm guessing that MS is looking to force Asia to upgrade whilst leaving existing markets in the US/Europe untouched. It smacks of being a revenue generating scheme to me, I mean, W7 is not that old.

I sincerely don't think MS will kill all Support of Win 7 Asia and leaves the Rest of the World Intact ? No f.... way they are doing that, they will have a riot on their hands. Personally I think the OP is pure scaremongering.

Please note: it's the Mainstream Support that ENDS, but the extended Support (as already has been said many times in this thread) will END January 2020.

Look here for more info about the Windows Life Cycle.

Edited by MJCM

Maybe worth mentioning

A few definitions worth knowing: Mainstream support is the typically five-year period when Microsoft provides free patches and fixes, including but not limited to security updates, for its products.

When a product exits the mainstream support phase, Microsoft continues to provide a period (also often five years) of extended support, which means users get free security fixes but other types of updates are paid and require specific licensing deals.
Security updates will be available from Windows Update during the Mainstream Support phase, and the Extended Support phase (if available). Note that technical limitations in Microsoft Office 2000 require that it remain an exception to this process. Updates will be provided only through the Microsoft Download Center for the duration of its Support Lifecycle.

http://support2.microsoft.com/lifecycle/

Edited by MJCM

I sincerely don't think MS will kill all Support of Win 7 Asia and leaves the Rest of the World Intact ? No f.... way they are doing that, they will have a riot on their hands. Personally I think the OP is pure scaremongering.

Please note: it's the Mainstream Support that ENDS, but the extended Support (as already has been said many times in this thread) will END January 2020.

Look here for more info about the Windows Life Cycle.

Hopefully that's the case, time will tell.

post-158247-0-38821600-1412335582.jpg

Read this and everything should be clear.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle#

ALL Win7 versions get extended support until 2020.

Asian versions are not excluded

The only difference to other versions are licensing reasons! (These genuine versions could only be activated in Asia, because of the lower retail price)

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 1

Maybe just to boost sales of Win 8 ?

Oh indeed yes, the question was rhetorical. These mongrels need all the help they can shifting copies of Win8+, but I ain't budging from my Win7 until at least a year of Win10 has passed and it is loved by all.thumbsup.gif