Pattaya Hospitals

Tolley

[

So glad to hear that you are feeling good. Yes, its good when radiologist will sit at monitors with you and explain everything - you get a clear picture of what you are fighting. Am also hearing good things about Fascino Pharmacy. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Good luck.

Anyone hear anything from Noel? He is very much in my thoughts.

Bangkok Post had ad yesterday for Wattanosoth Hospital which calls itself 'Thailand's dedicated cancer hospital." Anybody have experience of this hospital?

I have heard from Noel.

Suffice to say he is undergoing treatment and is none too impressed with our favourite Pattaya Hospital.

I am sure he is now getting the best possible care in Thailand.

I will leave it for him to post further.

Meanwhile I am sure we will all wish him the very best during this very difficult time for him and his dearest ones.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, Mobi, for the info about Noel. This is a very difficult time for him and the folks who love him. But love can work miracles.

I am going to BPH tomorrow to find out why I pay B4,100 for a standard room and B1,300 for food while your wife and others pay B2,700 which includes meals!

Apologies for the delay in providing an update, but I have been a tad preoccupied over the last couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, my worst fears were realized when I was informed by the surgeon at the BPH that the tumour was indeed malignant.

Having anticipated this outcome, I went armed with a comprehensive list of questions to put to him. He was at first quite taken aback at my business-like approach to receiving the news. In fact, my attempt at leading the discussion visibly irritated him. Suffice it to say, I put my questions away as he explained the situation and proposed surgery in a step by step manner. At the end of the two hour session I ran through my question sheet with him, although almost everything had been covered.

I then politely told him that I was going to get a second opinion and requested copies/originals of all my tests, scans etc. He had no issue with that, and made the necessary arrangements. I also asked for them to burn a CD of the CT scans, which they obligingly provided at a cost of ฿200.

I returned home and then made an appointment to see a surgeon at Bumrungrad who specializes in this area. He was very knowledgeable and recommended the exact same procedure as had the BPH surgeon. However, he then referred me to a colleague of his who has a wealth of experience with the required procedure.

After but a few minutes in this man’s company, I knew that I was moving my custom to Bumrungrad.

During the consultation, he asked me as to whether I was given a barium meal at the BPH. I told him that oddly enough I had asked them why they had not and the BPH had told me that it was unnecessary as the gastroscopy would show all that was needed. He shook his head in disbelief: an appointment was immediately made for a barium meal.

To put it mildly, I would not want to go through that again. I estimate that I had to eat/drink over two pints of that gunk. Basically, I became one with 'The Tardis' as I was automatically angled up, down, left and right. One of the male nurses would be at hand barking instructions as I had to fill my mouth (bloody difficult through a straw), hold and then swallow when ordered. Two others would then support me to hold me in the desired position. They took a total of 32 X-rays during this process.

I then had a consultation with the surgeon who had the X-rays on his computer projected on a large wall unit. He meticulously studied and commented on each one.

Thankfully nothing additionally untoward was found, although there is some question mark over the status of the lymph nodes. He then gave me a very thorough if not rigorous physical examination. One important observation was made concerning the exact position of the tumour. It is actually in a different location to that specified in the BPH CT Scan narrative. That is clearly rather key as regards irradiation treatment, causing the surgeon to almost lose his cool.

Unlike the BPH, the surgeon said that it was absolutely essential to have a ‘sandwich’ (I would love to be able to eat one...) course of chemotherapy-radiotherapy-chemotherapy prior to surgery,

Basically, the oesophagus has to be completely removed and then is 'replaced' by reconstructing the stomach. This involves three entry incisions, namely through the ribs, neck and stomach. The surgeon agreed to my request to be anaesthetized during this procedure...

I returned from Bangkok yesterday, having had some heavy chemo sessions over the last three days. I return on Monday for my first irradiation session which will continue on a daily basis (Mon-Fri) for three weeks. This will be followed by another three or four days of chemo, prior to the op itself. Yesterday I also underwent a simulation procedure in the Radiology Centre, involving another barium meal. I now have a chest that looks like the monitor in the cockpit of a jet fighter.

So, my campaign to conquer the crab is now underway in earnest, and I am determined that I am not going down without one hel_l of a fight.

I am going to beat it.

Thanks to all for your kind words and support at this difficult time, it really is much appreciated. :o

Apologies for the delay in providing an update, but I have been a tad preoccupied over the last couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, my worst fears were realized when I was informed by the surgeon at the BPH that the tumour was indeed malignant.

Having anticipated this outcome, I went armed with a comprehensive list of questions to put to him. He was at first quite taken aback at my business-like approach to receiving the news. In fact, my attempt at leading the discussion visibly irritated him. Suffice it to say, I put my questions away as he explained the situation and proposed surgery in a step by step manner. At the end of the two hour session I ran through my question sheet with him, although almost everything had been covered.

I then politely told him that I was going to get a second opinion and requested copies/originals of all my tests, scans etc. He had no issue with that, and made the necessary arrangements. I also asked for them to burn a CD of the CT scans, which they obligingly provided at a cost of ฿200.

I returned home and then made an appointment to see a surgeon at Bumrungrad who specializes in this area. He was very knowledgeable and recommended the exact same procedure as had the BPH surgeon. However, he then referred me to a colleague of his who has a wealth of experience with the required procedure.

After but a few minutes in this man’s company, I knew that I was moving my custom to Bumrungrad.

During the consultation, he asked me as to whether I was given a barium meal at the BPH. I told him that oddly enough I had asked them why they had not and the BPH had told me that it was unnecessary as the gastroscopy would show all that was needed. He shook his head in disbelief: an appointment was immediately made for a barium meal.

To put it mildly, I would not want to go through that again. I estimate that I had to eat/drink over two pints of that gunk. Basically, I became one with 'The Tardis' as I was automatically angled up, down, left and right. One of the male nurses would be at hand barking instructions as I had to fill my mouth (bloody difficult through a straw), hold and then swallow when ordered. Two others would then support me to hold me in the desired position. They took a total of 32 X-rays during this process.

I then had a consultation with the surgeon who had the X-rays on his computer projected on a large wall unit. He meticulously studied and commented on each one.

Thankfully nothing additionally untoward was found, although there is some question mark over the status of the lymph nodes. He then gave me a very thorough if not rigorous physical examination. One important observation was made concerning the exact position of the tumour. It is actually in a different location to that specified in the BPH CT Scan narrative. That is clearly rather key as regards irradiation treatment, causing the surgeon to almost lose his cool.

Unlike the BPH, the surgeon said that it was absolutely essential to have a ‘sandwich’ (I would love to be able to eat one...) course of chemotherapy-radiotherapy-chemotherapy prior to surgery,

Basically, the oesophagus has to be completely removed and then is 'replaced' by reconstructing the stomach. This involves three entry incisions, namely through the ribs, neck and stomach. The surgeon agreed to my request to be anaesthetized during this procedure...

I returned from Bangkok yesterday, having had some heavy chemo sessions over the last three days. I return on Monday for my first irradiation session which will continue on a daily basis (Mon-Fri) for three weeks. This will be followed by another three or four days of chemo, prior to the op itself. Yesterday I also underwent a simulation procedure in the Radiology Centre, involving another barium meal. I now have a chest that looks like the monitor in the cockpit of a jet fighter.

So, my campaign to conquer the crab is now underway in earnest, and I am determined that I am not going down without one hel_l of a fight.

I am going to beat it.

Thanks to all for your kind words and support at this difficult time, it really is much appreciated. :o

Dear Noel, thank you for updating us. You have been in my thoughts. What are your thoughts on treatments such as meditation, hands on healing, relaxation techniques to accompany the chemo and radiation and surgery? If so, I can point you in good directions. Are you being treated by Dr. Narin? If you would like to meet , let me know as I will also be in BKK on Monday and probably for 2 - 3 days.

Dear Noel, thank you for updating us. You have been in my thoughts. What are your thoughts on treatments such as meditation, hands on healing, relaxation techniques to accompany the chemo and radiation and surgery? If so, I can point you in good directions. Are you being treated by Dr. Narin? If you would like to meet , let me know as I will also be in BKK on Monday and probably for 2 - 3 days.

Thanks, Roamin.

Please check your PM's... :o

Well, we may have got them in their 3 tier pricing.

My wife was admitted recently(August 2006) to BP and I was offered the choice of VIP room or a standard room. I opted for the standard room.

This room was fine in every respect. TV, fridge, balcony with cooking facilities, well appointed bathroom, sofa that folded down into a single bed, plus two other arm chairs. Clean with all modern furniture and equipment.

Cost (including meals): 2,700 Baht per day.

Nurse Service: 900 Baht per day

From memory, the VIP room was not a lot more - maybe around 3,200.

Compare this to the prices quoted in the post above. She, of course, is a Thai, resident in Banglamung.

Noel, please note - happy to send you a copy of the total bill if it will assist your investigations. :o

Your wife is Thai and gets room and board for 3,600 per day. I am farang and pay 5,400. Somebody said that he/she has been told that BHP does not have dual pricing. I will have to take all your posts to the hospital management and get this sorted.

Got to the hospital this afternoon (22 Sept 06) and spent over an hour with 3 ladies from management. They explained the pricing and showed me some of the rooms.

(To remind interested readers:

In August 2006 I was admitted for 1 night to ward 6B. On admission I was asked if I wanted a standard or VIP room. I opted for the standard (I thought it would be cheaper than VIP which is not the case as I found out today) and paid 4,100 for room, 1,300 for food, 2,000 for nurse service and 500 for hospital service. Total 7,900

I was not told that I could have a choice of lower priced rooms ranging in total price from 2,500 for a 2 bed shared room to 5,700 for a VIP room).

Today, I was shown the superior and deluxe rooms on ward A/C. Please note that prices have been increased this month (Sept 2006).

The superior room has a hard mattress, no remote control for bed, no in-room microwave. There is TV, hot water pot, fold-down sofa bed, small bathroom with shower, and a kitchen sink. Total price 4,100.

The deluxe room is much larger and is a corner room with 3 windows. Mattress was softer. There was some confusion as to whether bed had remote control. There is large TV, hot water pot, pull out sofa bed and 1 easy chair, dining table with 4 chairs, larger wardrobe and fridge, larger bathroom. No in-room microwave. Total price 5,000.

For my stay in August it is quite possible that as I would probably stay only 1 night that I would have opted for a much cheaper room, maybe even for a 2 bed room and saved (at that time) 5,400.

I am annoyed that I was not given a full choice of accommodation. The management lady I spoke with today said that she will speak with the powers that be and hopefully ensure that farangs are, in future, told about all the rooms available which now range from total price 4,100 to 12,300. There seems to be no 2 bed room available now.

Well, we may have got them in their 3 tier pricing.

My wife was admitted recently(August 2006) to BP and I was offered the choice of VIP room or a standard room. I opted for the standard room.

This room was fine in every respect. TV, fridge, balcony with cooking facilities, well appointed bathroom, sofa that folded down into a single bed, plus two other arm chairs. Clean with all modern furniture and equipment.

Cost (including meals): 2,700 Baht per day.

Nurse Service: 900 Baht per day

From memory, the VIP room was not a lot more - maybe around 3,200.

Compare this to the prices quoted in the post above. She, of course, is a Thai, resident in Banglamung.

Noel, please note - happy to send you a copy of the total bill if it will assist your investigations. :o

Mobi, I would be interested to know if your wife was on Ward A,C or on Ward 6B. If you look at the top of the bill you will see location of room and room no. The prices you give above just don't work with the info the hospital gave me yesterday. Thanks a lot.

You may wish to get BUPA or Blue Cross prior to going in? Charges seem to change from day to day! :o

I have had Bupa going on four years. Because we live in Pattaya we use BPH, and have always gotten discounts because we have insurance. n example is when my son had pnewmonia, they gave us a 1000 BHT dicount on the room. So the room was 1700 baht instead of 2700 baht which is the standard rate if you live here. If you are a tourist you will pay more.

Barry

Dear Barry, When I was at BHP asking questions re pricing and rooms, I mentioned your case of being able to get 1,000 discount on room because you had insurance. Reply was, of course, that they needed your name so that they could look at your file. Would you give me more information? If you don't want to give your name, please can you let me know what room your son was in. You can find the room number at the top of the bill. It will say Room No: B6--- or A3--- or A4--- or A5--- or A6---, and similarly for C. It is impossible to work out what room your son was in from the info you gave above and that received yesterday from BHP.

• 4 months later...

Noel,

This may be of interest

A Cancer vaccine called Trovax (it is treament) is in final phase 3 testing and recruiting subjects. It has very few if any sideeffects and is administered along with normal treatment. It identifies Cancer Tumours by attacking any cells with 5T4 present. As 5T4 is only present on Cancer cells it has a remarkable effect on Cancer tumours, whilst ignoring healthy cells. It is the new Gene Therapy type medicines and if your Cancer is applicable, I would go for it.

More details can be found at www.oxfordbiomedica.co.uk

Edited by twix38

I found bangkok pattaya hospital good and professional and at least they employ english speaking/trained staff to back up the thais.I have been to quite a few different hospitals in thailand and used to work in the nhs and private sector.When you work on the inside in the hospital system you see all the screw ups and you would be AMAZED what happens and the public never get to hear about it(i stopped a surgeon from removing the wrong ear when i was a student).I would not recommend pattaya memorial,they let my ex girlfriend die because her family had no money(unfortunately i was out the country)....private medicine.In the end of the day you have to pick the lesser of evils...no hospital is perfect.At least in the uk they rate each hospital according to performance.No such luxury here.

Do you know if it was on the operating table?

Peter

Noel has passed away.

RIP.

:o

See this thread.

Yes Noel passed away on the operating table in Bumrungrad Hostpital on 18th November at 6.10pm. The funeral took place in his home town of Pattaya on 25th November. In accordance with his wishes when the 100 days of mourning is up his ashes will be scattered over the Bay by a microlite hired for that purpose.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t93381.html

The above link tells the story.

I found bangkok pattaya hospital good and professional and at least they employ english speaking/trained staff to back up the thais.I have been to quite a few different hospitals in thailand and used to work in the nhs and private sector.When you work on the inside in the hospital system you see all the screw ups and you would be AMAZED what happens and the public never get to hear about it(i stopped a surgeon from removing the wrong ear when i was a student).I would not recommend pattaya memorial,they let my ex girlfriend die because her family had no money(unfortunately i was out the country)....private medicine.In the end of the day you have to pick the lesser of evils...no hospital is perfect.At least in the uk they rate each hospital according to performance.No such luxury here.

I use Bangkok Hospital Pattaya (as it is called now) when I have to but I don't like their prices, I think they over prescribe, and always there are things on the bill (ask for itemized) that I didn't get. Its a hassle sorting out billing errors and cashiers are so sour. As you say no hospital is perfect. I was unable to stop a surgeon operating for a non-existant inguinal hernia on the left side. He wouldn't believe me that the hernia was on the right. We always stood a hernia patient out of bed, he coughed, the hernia popped out, we put a big black cross on it. To explain bandages on both sides the patient was told by surgeon that he had discovered herniation on both sides.

Just came across this thread and it is a very interesting read to say the least.

I'm not a big fan of the PBH either and through with them after an apparent rip-off and mistreatment of a barotrauma. But to mute the euphorism about the Bumrungrad, three stories I got from first hand account:

Myself going there for a health certificate for Work Permit. Doctor says that I look skinny and asks whether I have AIDS. I said no, and next thing he did was signing the paper. Fair enough, no big deal, rather amusing.

One friend of mine has been admitted to B'rad with an emergency and woke up the next morning with his neighbor's patient records attached to his bed.

Another guy I know personally went there several times as he was not feeling well. Only after he went for a check somewhere else the diagnosis was Hepatitis. B'rad treated him for whatever, always making sure that he carries a different assortment of pills home.

Then, for fairness reason, I guess similar stories can be told about almost any other hospital around the world as they are staffed with humans ad humans tend to err.

Having the choice, I would still opt for the Bumrungrad for serious treatments and PIH for not so serious things. Sniffles I cure myself.

Edited by raro

Just came across this thread and it is a very interesting read to say the least.

I'm not a big fan of the PBH either and through with them after an apparent rip-off and mistreatment of a barotrauma. But to mute the euphorism about the Bumrungrad, three stories I got from first hand account:

Myself going there for a health certificate for Work Permit. Doctor says that I look skinny and asks whether I have AIDS. I said no, and next thing he did was signing the paper. Fair enough, no big deal, rather amusing.

One friend of mine has been admitted to B'rad with an emergency and woke up the next morning with his neighbor's patient records attached to his bed.

Another guy I know personally went there several times as he was not feeling well. Only after he went for a check somewhere else the diagnosis was Hepatitis. B'rad treated him for whatever, always making sure that he carries a different assortment of pills home.

Then, for fairness reason, I guess similar stories can be told about almost any other hospital around the world as they are staffed with humans ad humans tend to err.

Having the choice, I would still opt for the Bumrungrad for serious treatments and PIH for not so serious things. Sniffles I cure myself.

I always check out the Bumrungrad doctors on the internet and choose one who has had training and experience overseas. Dr Visuit for heart, Dr Virasak for gastroenterology, Dr Kaseansom for neurology, Dr Narin for cancer.

It sounds like there are lots of sharks in the hospitals in Pattaya.

A friend of mine has mentioned a hospital in soi 4 off second road....not sure of the name but said it is okay....has anyone heard of that one?

Its Pattaya International, a friend went there for tests and there were quiet reasonably priced and got results within the hour

• 2 weeks later...

Having had to stay in BPH on three separate occasions, found myself being invoiced different amounts for hospital accommodation each time, as well as unexplained charges then and on a subsequent outpatient visit also unexplained charges. For the last outpatient visit I had been quoted a price, when I came to pay, this figure had nearly doubled! When asked if a manager was available to explain this, was faced with a supervisor with a very poor understanding of English, who kept repeating "Not have manager here today".

Does anyone have any up to date information on the Queen Sirikit Hospital next to U Tapao ?

Edited by A. BOOZER

Having had to stay in BPH on three separate occasions, found myself being invoiced different amounts for hospital accommodation each time, as well as unexplained charges then and on a subsequent outpatient visit also unexplained charges. For the last outpatient visit I had been quoted a price, when I came to pay, this figure had nearly doubled! When asked if a manager was available to explain this, was faced with a supervisor with a very poor understanding of English, who kept repeating "Not have manager here today".

Does anyone have any up to date information on the Queen Sirikit Hospital next to U Tapao ?

Re not being able to get an explanation of charges: There are farangs working at the hospital who, I believe, are there to assist folks such as yourself to get satisfactory answers. I have always found them to be on the defensive but maybe that's because I go to them with a no nonsense attitude and ready to 'hound' them all day if necessary. But I wasn't the patient and thus feeling weak, tired, apprehensive, and just wanting to get home to my own bed. Patients are at a disadvantage. I have thought of trying to set up a business to assist patients thro the maze. It's not so bad if one has insurance - one can sort of swallow all the errors that hospitals make in the billing - but when one has no insurance -------!! I check every item at whatever hospital I am at and have saved probably hundreds of thousands of baht over past 3 years. I see other patients/family at cash desk just paying up, not asking for a detailed bill.

If the farangs can not help you you just have to keep going step by step higher and higher. At one hospital I have the name of the chap at the top - have never had to go to him - but would.

Re Queen Sirikit: I wrote a report on it a few weeks back for the forum after I went over there to suss it out. I have never been a patient there but there have been good reports though a forum member did say that for heart related illness (serious) Queen Sirikit can't handle and will advise Bangkok Pattaya. Other forum members have had good treatment at other hospitals outside but close to Pattaya. I myself, use Bumrungrad in Bangkok and have had good medical service but clerks do make mistakes.

Hope this helps.