Coolant leak

Hi guys n gals,

CB500f... 10 months old with 1500km on the clock.

Left it for a month while I was at work (battery manager attached)

Got back home, started her up and left her to warm up for 10mins.

Coolant started leaking from the bottom hose connection (I think, on initial inspection) on the radiator. Fan was not running until I stopped the engine but left ignition on, it then ran for about 3 mins and I turned the ignition off.

Any ideas? Only had the bike for a couple months and up until this, no issues to report.

Haven't had a chance to take it out for a run yet and would like to find out the cause of the leak before I do run her, plus make sure that the coolant level is good.

Thanks

It all depends, how bad is the leak? How far is it to the dealer you bought it from? The bike is still under warranty so perhaps call them and tell them about your problem.

Are the clips for the water hoses the screw type?

Depending of how much water the system have lost, don't start the engine until checked and refilled, if only a few drops it should be okay to start but you will have to keep an eye on it all the time. Does the bike have an indicator light for low cooling water level?

This is disappointing that the cooling water is leaking on a 10 month old bike just because it's left for 1 month, should not happen

it sounds normal to me if only some amount as sometime as that hose is for releasing excess coolant or when the weather is hot, some coolant might come out due to expansion.

But if it is constantly leaking, you need to go to the service.

I will have a good check this afternoon.

Shouldn't be an issue with perished hoses, maybe just a lose clip. Looks like they are just the sprung type and not screw clamp.

There will be no riding until I have made sure it's not a constant leak and the level is topped up.

Thanks for the input so far though.

I second going to screw type clamps, it's cheap peace of mind.

On smaller diameter hose I find those spring clamps sketchy because you can often remove the hose while the clamp is still in the locked location.

Ok...

Took it to Honda Big Wing in Suratthani.

Result was that the hose connection, where the hose goes onto the bottom of the radiator, was damaged due to the hose being removed previously with a screwdriver or similar. Could have been done on 1st service at big Wing Phuket?

So, the hose fitting was straightened out, with a bit of brute force (I wasn't too happy about that) and the leak is no more.

They also properly aligned my back wheel and tensioned the chain.

Do they normally charge a service fee for carrying out what should essentially be warranty work?

Only 200 baht but seems strange to me :)

Apart from that, very impressed with their workshop and a couple of the technicians.

• Like 1

Ok...

Result was that the hose connection, where the hose goes onto the bottom of the radiator, was damaged due to the hose being removed previously with a screwdriver or similar. Could have been done on 1st service at big Wing Phuket?

So, the hose fitting was straightened out, with a bit of brute force (I wasn't too happy about that) and the leak is no more.

Do they normally charge a service fee for carrying out what should essentially be warranty work?

Only 200 baht but seems strange to me :)

Apart from that, very impressed with their workshop and a couple of the technicians.

If there was damage caused by poor workmanship at the first service I would not be impressed. I have this year had my bike in a workshop of a dealer I wont mention as I was able to have all money refunded yesterday. Very poor workmanship on the jobs carried out (more than once) and they still didn't fix the issue and also cause additional issues during their course of work.

I would address any poor workmanship that may have happened and not pay the cost however so small. These Thai Dealerships have to realise they are representing companies who expect a high service to be provided.. Not an ice cream bucket oil change.

Ok...

Only 200 baht but seems strange to me smile.png

balancing a tire and tensioning a chain is not covered under warranty.

but glad it is solved. mine was pissing excess water expanded by the hot weather at times.