Bribing Thai traffic cops can get you in trouble

webfact

It's easy to make jokes about the Thai police, and it's easy to make fun of how to stop the corruption. The bottom line is though that if the "established" procedure of bribing the police is reduced/eliminated, the traffic situation would improve. Let's see how this works and stop complaining about every attempt to sort out the present "mess".

we/I are not complaining about the present mess, we are discussing the new 10.000 thb bribe reward. I have no complaints about the way things were, in my opinion plain and simple. Police were always friendly to me and I always paid the 100/200thb without problem. I consider this "tea money" to boost their salary. Hell, I pay at least this as a tip in any restaurant!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes but at least you get a bit of service in the restaurant...what service do these idiots provide? The next thing will be paying the police a bonus for doing a good job.....completely ferkin retarded . As are they. Not an ounce of respect do i have for these village idiots. Just give their job to the burmese im sure they will do it better. ( no stupid remarks about tao please we all know the truth)

This is totally backwards... Its like bargirls bar-fining their customers.

Now that's a concept I could endorse 100% clap2.gifDef a win-win situation...

(Unless I have totally misunderstood the point of your messagefacepalm.gif)

Edited by cloghead

So now we have sunk so low that we have to pay the police for being honest.sad.png

No finer sight in the world than a Thai policeman on the mend, however watching a Thai policeman doing an honest days work is like watching a dog dancing on his back legs, it isn't done well but one is surprised to see it being done at all.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif My Aunt has 3 mutts that dance quite well on their hind legs. One must dangle a junk of ham for them to do so though.

I can't dance on my legs very well either, but for 10,000 baht a dance, well....I might get better... Thainess & Thai logic.

Edited by jaywalker

Take a photo of the officer. sign the fine with "without prejudice UCC 1-308, (your name))

All govenments were foreclosed 25.12.2012, but noone is being notified. They are still running business as usual. Get it straight. Issuing fines is a purely commercial endevour and has no roots in law. It is treason and theft. The only reason this terrorizing of the people by the not so bright is still going on in this century is that we let it happen by consent. Some not so bright without ranks and uniforms even agrees with this conduct. When you sign the registration (regis-tration) of your car, you sign away the ownershop of your vehicle to the state. You are now the keeper of the vehicle your bought. You are not the owner anymore. When you apply for a drivers -licence you concent to doing something illegal by paying a fee, and by admitting to be a licenced driver you also consent to being fined without having caused any accident. You consent to ususry. Guess what happens when you register to marry? Why do you get a marriage licence? I suggest you all do some reading. Common sense is not common it seems.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-ucc-1-308.htm

Please explain how a U.S. law would apply in the Kingdom of Thailand.....

I think it's a very good idea. No one will risk paying a bribe anymore and will have to be fined in the correct manner. This will cut down or maybe even eradicate the practice of collecting bribes by many police officers.

Take a photo of the officer. sign the fine with "without prejudice UCC 1-308, (your name))

All govenments were foreclosed 25.12.2012, but noone is being notified. They are still running business as usual. Get it straight. Issuing fines is a purely commercial endevour and has no roots in law. It is treason and theft. The only reason this terrorizing of the people by the not so bright is still going on in this century is that we let it happen by consent. Some not so bright without ranks and uniforms even agrees with this conduct. When you sign the registration (regis-tration) of your car, you sign away the ownershop of your vehicle to the state. You are now the keeper of the vehicle your bought. You are not the owner anymore. When you apply for a drivers -licence you concent to doing something illegal by paying a fee, and by admitting to be a licenced driver you also consent to being fined without having caused any accident. You consent to ususry. Guess what happens when you register to marry? Why do you get a marriage licence? I suggest you all do some reading. Common sense is not common it seems.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-ucc-1-308.htm

Please explain how a U.S. law would apply in the Kingdom of Thailand.....

Well he did mention not so bright a couple of times.tongue.png

"Pol.Sgt. Narin Fakbumrung (L) receiving a 10,000 baht reward for refusing to accept a 100 baht bribe from a motorcyclist, 8 October 2014."

He would rather have 10.000 bath than 100 bath, make perfectly sense.

From now on expect to be extorted 10K instead of 500 bath.

How long is this supposed to last, and how much money do they have in the kitty for all this? I can't imagine they'd keep it going for any more than a few months at the very most.

Can't we call it Land of Laughs (LoL)cheesy.gif , not Land of Smiles?

How long is this supposed to last, and how much money do they have in the kitty for all this? I can't imagine they'd keep it going for any more than a few months at the very most.

Can't we call it Land of Laughs (LoL)cheesy.gif , not Land of Smiles?

Already scrapped, read the last couple posts of this thread and I think there is already a news article about in the Thailand News section

Which is more ruinous and should be more worrisome for the public, this program's (relatively swift) cancellation and the soft "acknowledgement" that represents, or the fact that somebody dreamed up & succeeded in rolling out such a counter-productive program in the first place?

• 3 years later...

My son-in-law is a truck driver, he always has a stack of 20 baht on him, it is every day, most of the time the same policemen, he knows most of them, it is done discretely  in seconds with a smile on both parts, and if he did not do that he would spend his time on the side of the road, his boss, who is completely confident with him, repays everything because for the trucks impossible to do otherwise.