Bangkok traffic cop arrests motorist for 'bribe attempt'

webfact

Traffic cop arrests motorist for 'bribe attempt'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Another motorist has been arrested for allegedly trying to bribe a Bangkok traffic cop with Bt50 in what was a futile attempt to get out of a ticket.

Pickup truck driver Wanchai Sudsaengta, 25, was pulled over and then arrested after he did an illegal u-turn at the Rama IX intersection in Huai Khwang at about 7.30am on Thursday.

Police launched a campaign on Monday to give Bt10,000 to any officer who arrested someone for offering a bribe for a traffic offence. Two traffic officers on Wednesday became the first to receive the reward.

The campaign aims to promote and encourage honesty and dignity among traffic officers, who have earned a bad reputation for accepting bribes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Traffic-cop-arrests-motorist-for-bribe-attempt-30245157.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-10

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he police trying to establish fair market value. Anyone offering a bribe under 200 baht is in big trouble

Quite cynical to think this is nothing more than a simple rate increase that reflects inflation woes. Next you will say the really smart part of this is the free advertising created by calling it a program.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

I've seen a lot of posts ridiculing this new scheme (an understandable reaction to anything related to the RTP, of course) but I actually think this could work. The simple fact is, no-one will offer a bribe of 10,000 THB for any motoring offence. And if there's a genuine fear of entrapment and arrest, no-one will accept a police officer's request of a bribe either. So with the reward set so high, they're effectively pricing bribes out of the market. So it's a win-win situation surely?

It could be, but the problem is that if it's successful, the bib will lose his daily extra money!

What will happen then? They will need their daily extra money back somehow I guess.

And for all the people here that think this is a good step:

Would you like losing a half day or a day just to pay a fine of 300 baht to pay at some far away police station to get your license back?

With this anti bribe action they should also improve the way to pay your fine on the spot. Only then it can be successful.

• Like 2

Ah what a difficult decision 150 baht or 10,000 baht in the last couple of days the police have splashed out 20,000 baht at that rate the local plod will be rubbing his hand with delight as I am lead to believe there daily rate of pay for a 12 hour shift is Just over 300 baht !

Looks like I need to aim my traffic cam in a different direction.

Or maybe get one for traffic, and another one to prove I didn't offer a bribe, and maybe a 3rd and 4th just in case they confiscate the ones they can see....

• Like 1

Obviously every traffic officer is going to want to "participate" in this sweepstakes giveaway, so what happens when motorists stop handing over their tea money. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to get on the winners list, no actual bribe attempt really required...

And how many of these "rewards" will be paid out before whatever's funding it @ B10K a pop runs dry? Then what happens?

The whole thing is so bizarre. A great setup opportunity and worrisome incentive for cops. But NO rewards in it for motorists, honest or otherwise. As if it's the motorists that were the problem!

• Like 1

Is there any proof other than the cop's word? If cops have been accustomed to 100-500 Baht tea money bribes it is obvious they would tell a small lie to get 10,000.

God! Where is the common sense in this country?

The problem would disappear when the tickets become payable by bank transfer or directly on the spot by credit or debit card. No cash on the spot. Problem solved but this country is not famous for a logical approach to any problem.

Edited by hanuman2543
  • Like 1

If they really want to stop corruption they should offer

Motorists a 10k reward for turning in officers requesting a bribe

Except they would probably run out of reward funds before lunch today

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

I've seen a lot of posts ridiculing this new scheme (an understandable reaction to anything related to the RTP, of course) but I actually think this could work. The simple fact is, no-one will offer a bribe of 10,000 THB for any motoring offence. And if there's a genuine fear of entrapment and arrest, no-one will accept a police officer's request of a bribe either. So with the reward set so high, they're effectively pricing bribes out of the market. So it's a win-win situation surely?

It could be, but the problem is that if it's successful, the bib will lose his daily extra money!

What will happen then? They will need their daily extra money back somehow I guess.

And for all the people here that think this is a good step:

Would you like losing a half day or a day just to pay a fine of 300 baht to pay at some far away police station to get your license back?

With this anti bribe action they should also improve the way to pay your fine on the spot. Only then it can be successful.

I don't know how it works elsewhere but on Highway 2 Nong Khai - Udon Than ( and around the municipality ) - Khon Kaen I've paid on the spot, and with receipt, to an officer at a table. It's always been very polite and only once would I have said it was a stretch that I disobeyed a Red Light but I didn't argue.

I've also received a friendly warning, no action, twice.

I can't agree this reward system is good as it doesn't take long for the BIB to work financial things out which will lead to abuses.

If this scheme is restricted to Bkk what about moral elsewhere and will their be a flood of transfer applications ?