Britain summons Thai envoy over Koh Tao tourist murder probe

webfact

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai police said on Friday that the two suspects had confessed to the crime and their DNA matched with samples taken from Witheridge's body.

All they have to do is get this verified by an independent agency and all the speculation will cease, the other issues of human rights and peoples right to council is a longer issue that needs to also be addressed along with opening the court system up to full public and media scrutiny - access and follow up of cases as they are heard - time for Thailand to get with being open honest and transparent.

It was the constant media release of conflicting statements from the authorities that caused this circus, the RTP need a central press/media department that has 100% control over statements that are released to the public, all proposed press statements must go through them for approval

The NRC can add this to their reform agenda - it needs to happen

In your opinion, who is an 'independent agency'?

What time period was there between when the suspects were DNA tested and access to D+H's body was still possible? Does anybody think that they somehow managed to plant any kind of DNA on the victims from the result of the 1st round of DNA tests? Even the wound patterns don't line up with what the Thai's officially claimed was the weapon so the Thais will look pretty culpable of a cover up.

Basically Thailand has to decide if it's worth protecting the special interests if it means the UK going hostile.

Edited by steffi
  • Like 2

i truly still believe that the UK aint got no real power to MAKE the Thai govt do as they please.

I don't believe another country has the power to make another country do according to its demands... (with the exception of the US maybe)

This case has been dragged for wayyyy too long. Dogged with multiple loopholes as well...

I think this will just lead to a not so happy ending, so that our hosts, Thailand, will be able to save face, as usual

Possible scenarios:

1) the 2 burmese men suddenly "commit suicide" in their cells from the immense "guilt" and stress.

2) the UK police actually sends a team to KT island, and they too are brutally and silently murdered by the Mafia in charge of the island.

3) the RTP suddenly comes up with some magical witnesses and evidence to link to other Burmese killers, saying that the initial 2 burmese guys were threatened by them to the scapegoats.

• Like 1

Oh dear Mr Angry, Is it the wrong time of the month. Keep taking the tablets and climb back into your pit.!!

Are you a bitter Jock?

One of the most pathetic comments I've read on here for a while, go and stick your head back in the sand. And all the boorish aussies with chips on their shoulders hijacking this thread can do the same. You lot really are a piece of work but it's about all one can expect. Should focus on sorting out your own backyard as it's a mess!

Real issue: two young tourists were slaughtered, remember? two innocent lads are being fitted up, remember? The UK have always been on this. They should have perhaps made more noise earlier but there is diplomacy to also think of and they're not a bunch of kids throwing their toys out of the pram like some other nations.

Very likely. Who cares. Best way to clean the thread is to ban them and the convicts from commenting. They never have, or had, anything to bring to the table but tripe anyhow.

No I'm English born here it's OK for you weasels to comment from the promised land, but have you really any idea how fcuked up the English political system is?

Forget your patriotism your fathers and forefathers died for the new breed.

What promised land would one be posting from?

Perhaps the Foreign Office hould summon their own Ambassador first, since he reportedly stated that he was happy with the RTP process (though that report may itself have been a porky on social media I guess)

• Like 1

I don't think the Thai powers will like this move by the UK.

The Generals know that the belated summons is only a choreographed charade to appease the domestic UK audience.

Besides, "The UK is Not My Father".

Yes of course, standard operating procedure. They even used a Junior minister to be even more bland about it.

A pity the thread was hijacked by some sore heads.

• Like 2

Finally the poms are showing some backbone

Show me where Backbone won and Thailand loss?

what a strange question, this isn't about win or lose its about doing the right thing and having the right judicial process so that the real killers are bought to justice . This comes from two perspectives ; the first being that the real killers should face punishment for their crimes and the second, aide protection for tourists, Thais and foreigners who reside here alike . If you do want to distill this done to who won and lost however , it would be fairly obvious that international respect for the Thai Police, judicial and forensic process has suffered and tourism has no doubt had a greyer shade painted to it .

I don't have a horse in this race however certainly believe the Thai authorities could have handled this much better and avoided the international furore that now exists .

• Like 2

Why does Britain wait till now ? The British Embassy and British government should have been in at the beginning . Britain had a right to insist on British police helping Thai police and for British Forensic scientists to simultaneously examine the evidence and test the DNA . In view of Two British people being horrifically murdered in Thailand , even the Coup Military Government should soften to permit a British participation from the beginning . A skilled British Forensic Police team could have worked alongside the Thai police and have been a great help to them , in what has been a very difficult task .

Swire emphasised the need for the British government and the victims' families to receive regular updates on the investigation's progress.

Odd. We've all been updated twice a day.

Really?

So you are very clear on whether they have retracted their statements or not!

Finally the poms are showing some backbone

Unlike our Aussie counterparts, we tend to think first and act accordingly.

A certain Ambassador here in Thailand should have been making much bigger waves in public, rather than quietly and delicately making statements on his own social media page.

• Like 1

I don't think the Thai powers will like this move by the UK.

The Generals know that the belated summons is only a choreographed charade to appease the domestic UK audience.

Besides, "The UK is Not My Father".

I do hope you are wrong but I certainly wouldn't wager on it...

Why does Britain wait till now ? The British Embassy and British government should have been in at the beginning . Britain had a right to insist on British police helping Thai police and for British Forensic scientists to simultaneously examine the evidence and test the DNA . In view of Two British people being horrifically murdered in Thailand , even the Coup Military Government should soften to permit a British participation from the beginning . A skilled British Forensic Police team could have worked alongside the Thai police and have been a great help to them , in what has been a very difficult task .

Britain nor any other country has no diplomatic right to intervene in the internal affairs of another country regardless of whether one of its citizens is either the victim or the alleged perpetrator of a crime.

The colonial attitude has yet to be laid to rest even with regards to countries that never were the unfortunate victims of often brutal British exploitation.

Edited by Suradit69

Now the English get involved, poke their dirty fingers in everything but cant even solve their own in country problems.

Don't expect anything worthwhile, just some dirty pigs getting a free holiday at my expense.

One of the most pathetic comments I've read on here for a while, go and stick your head back in the sand. And all the boorish aussies with chips on their shoulders hijacking this thread can do the same. You lot really are a piece of work but it's about all one can expect. Should focus on sorting out your own backyard as it's a mess!

Real issue: two young tourists were slaughtered, remember? two innocent lads are being fitted up, remember? The UK have always been on this. They should have perhaps made more noise earlier but there is diplomacy to also think of and they're not a bunch of kids throwing their toys out of the pram like some other nations.

Diplomacy, bull sh1t - just refer to your comment commencing Real issue: .................. Absolutely no diplomacy needed or called for, seems you have had your head elsewhere than in the sand and it needs returning immediately.