Flaunting Your Wealth is it Wise?

flyingsaucersarereal

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All I can say is, when I go to the bank, I dress the poorest out of every customer in there. Atleast the motorcycle somchai has a jacket. Everyone would look at my torn sandals and think "hmm just a nobody".

HOWEVER! That nobody just passes all of them without having to wait in line ever. I never wait in line at banks.

Nowadays people "wear" their assets on them. Everything on their body, from watches to bags, shirts, belts, shoes, it probably takes up 10% or more of their total assets.

The real rich, don't see money as a prize or a certificate of success. Money is like ammunition for the economic war they keep fighting on each day. Real rich people's money are never "free" as in doing nothing. It is busy earning more money.

Everything on my body is less than 0.01% of total assets. Same with cars I drive, less than 5% in value, paid in cash. It's more to do with management. Most somchais go and buy a fancy car on debt, what happens when you crash it or if it's stolen? That's right, you are miserable for life just paying for debt. Rich people? Mai pen rai, just buy another one. Not just because he's rich, but because he has money management skills. The reason I say this is, the "fake rich kids" when compared to somchais is nothing better. They got 40 million? They buy lambo, 100% at risk.

So you are bragging about looking the poorest and cutting in line? Or are we to believe that you are so rich and important that they run to your beck and call? I am sure they are thrilled to help someone who can't even dress appropriately to be in a bank.

Summary of the rest of your post: Blah blah blah...number...blah blah...I am rich... Blah blah..other people are stupid because they choose to spend their money differently... blah blah...more irreverent numbers... anyone with a Lambo is an idiot and or can't afford one.

P.S. Ever heard of car insurance? I believe that covers accident and theft.

We can clearly see what type of "rich" person you are hahaha. All about appearances and looking good. Ever heard of connection, it's something someone like you don't know about. You can go back to your seat and looking pretty. What they offer me, how can I decline such good service, I never demanded it. Same with immigration, no hassles, no wait, instant service, all smiles, all good. Others? Stinky face sitting in those plastic chairs. Blame me? Don't forget to wear a tie btw.

I am sure all the insurance you buy will not make you rich. The poor has the highest spending percentage wise allocation in insurance, the rich don't. I buy insurance companies, they are not here to serve people, they are here to make money. They calculate the probability and statistics to how much a person should pay for the given total amount of possible accident costs of all clients and add profit to that equation.

Summary of your post: I'm poor and I hate the rich. (Even though the rich never caused you any harm but you instantly assume.... oh envy and jealousy strikes again).

Some folks like the extremes, one man wants to be noticed for lots of bling while his polar opposite enjoys dressing like a slob, both looking for attention.

• Like 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am positively secretive when it comes to discussing net worth or income.

If you do, people will either be jealous, look down on you, call you cheap, or ask for a loan.

There is no upside.

Sir, any chance of a loan?wai.gif

Costas:

Haven't forgotten about your request. Still waiting for the IMF to get back to me. For some reason they're ignoring my e-mails. smile.png

• Like 1

I am positively secretive when it comes to discussing net worth or income.

If you do, people will either be jealous, look down on you, call you cheap, or ask for a loan.

There is no upside.

Sir, any chance of a loan?wai.gif

Costas:

Haven't forgotten about your request. Still waiting for the IMF to get back to me. For some reason they're ignoring my e-mails. smile.png

If you are waiting for the IMF to reply, you are wasting your time.

They've given all the loans to Greece by now........nothing left for poor mesad.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is owning more vehicles than you can drive at one time flaunting wealth? If so then I am guilty.

Yep, I've got two as well, a Vios and a step-through...............wink.png

Honestly, the looks I get sometimes....................sad.png

tongue.png

All I can say is, when I go to the bank, I dress the poorest out of every customer in there. Atleast the motorcycle somchai has a jacket. Everyone would look at my torn sandals and think "hmm just a nobody".

HOWEVER! That nobody just passes all of them without having to wait in line ever. I never wait in line at banks.

Nowadays people "wear" their assets on them. Everything on their body, from watches to bags, shirts, belts, shoes, it probably takes up 10% or more of their total assets.

The real rich, don't see money as a prize or a certificate of success. Money is like ammunition for the economic war they keep fighting on each day. Real rich people's money are never "free" as in doing nothing. It is busy earning more money.

Everything on my body is less than 0.01% of total assets. Same with cars I drive, less than 5% in value, paid in cash. It's more to do with management. Most somchais go and buy a fancy car on debt, what happens when you crash it or if it's stolen? That's right, you are miserable for life just paying for debt. Rich people? Mai pen rai, just buy another one. Not just because he's rich, but because he has money management skills. The reason I say this is, the "fake rich kids" when compared to somchais is nothing better. They got 40 million? They buy lambo, 100% at risk.

So you are bragging about looking the poorest and cutting in line? Or are we to believe that you are so rich and important that they run to your beck and call? I am sure they are thrilled to help someone who can't even dress appropriately to be in a bank.

Summary of the rest of your post: Blah blah blah...number...blah blah...I am rich... Blah blah..other people are stupid because they choose to spend their money differently... blah blah...more irreverent numbers... anyone with a Lambo is an idiot and or can't afford one.

Worked for the Beverly Hillbillies tongue.png

Hmmm, i buy 2nd hand no name cheap clothes, wear old flip flops and have zero watches, chains, rings

But on the plane for example you'll see me get out my $700 phone, $800 external DAC-amp and $1000 custom IEMs, hifi and tech is a hobby of mine

I have been criticized by watch hoarding colleagues for not following along. Yeah they look cool, my answer it is probably NOT advisable to go rolling around Chiang Mai on my bicycle late at night with $5000 dollars of rolex on my unatheletic wrist.

TIMEX - Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Edited by arunsakda

I think it all comes back to 'face'.

Do you call it "face" when it happens in your home country?

No in my country its called showing off and in my experience all Thais like to show how successful they are - it does attract thieves tho', as it would in all countries'. Apart from a half decent Swiss watch I don't wear or carry anything valuable and I'm constantly resisting buying a flash car.

We can clearly see what type of "rich" person you are hahaha. All about appearances and looking good. Ever heard of connection, it's something someone like you don't know about. You can go back to your seat and looking pretty. What they offer me, how can I decline such good service, I never demanded it. Same with immigration, no hassles, no wait, instant service, all smiles, all good. Others? Stinky face sitting in those plastic chairs. Blame me? Don't forget to wear a tie btw.

I am sure all the insurance you buy will not make you rich. The poor has the highest spending percentage wise allocation in insurance, the rich don't. I buy insurance companies, they are not here to serve people, they are here to make money. They calculate the probability and statistics to how much a person should pay for the given total amount of possible accident costs of all clients and add profit to that equation.

Summary of your post: I'm poor and I hate the rich. (Even though the rich never caused you any harm but you instantly assume.... oh envy and jealousy strikes again).

seems our bridge club lady's woke up...

seems our bridge club lady's woke up...

seems or bridge club ladies just woke up...

I agree with you. It is never wise to do that here, or even in your own country. Especially if you re on the prowl late at night after several drinks. You are just begging for trouble then.

But I see nothing wrong with owning such jewelry and there are places and times when you want to wear them and can wear them safely. I own an expensive Gold Watch and Ring, but I must say that so far I haven't worn either this year.

I also own a $100 Divers Watch that needs the rubber strap replaced again. So you know now which one of my two watches gets the most wear and tear when I am out.

Unless you are flaunting it, there really isn't much point buying it is there?

Anyhow I had my stupidity yanked off my neck already and I hence I wised up!

There's a time and a place for things. And Thailand probably isn't the place for most foreigners to be "flaunting it". If you circulate strictly among the hi-so and strictly in hi-so locations, I guess you might be the exception. Not safe to do out on the mean streets anymore though.

when doing business, you have to here.

it's all about apearance.

In the begining i came to a deal, knowing i was richer than the people i deal with, but didnt look like it, and what do you guess. They didn't respect me enough to see me as the one funding everything. although i did.

Only having expensive clothes and a car will do. No gold and all, but to get in with the high society thai, you at least need to look like you got it all i guess.

i don't care much about this, but they do so if it is their business i want i have little options

Clothes for business I don't consider flaunting it. Being well dressed is an asset in most of the business world - i.e. a well fitted suit etc. Of course if you went out and got a $1,500 designer shirt akin to a "versace shirt" I think that is a little over the line.

I don't even consider buying a solid car like a Mercedes to be flaunting it -- although personally I prefer a more solid vehicle - like an armoured SUV (got a lift in one from the airport to the embassy when visiting relatives)..... that one felt nice tongue.png Lamborghinis - yah that is definitely flaunting it.

I would not consider an expensive watch (Omega, Rolex) when worn in a formal or business environment - as long as you're not rattling it around loosely trying to make sure that people notice that you have a rich watch on tongue.png.... Most people would not even likely notice it.

There is a difference between functional and show (at least in my mind). Part of it is really the attitude of the person wearing it I guess.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

Well said bkkcanuck, especially the attitude part.

How you appear to others, let's people know about your inner self. Some are begging for attention, some need the attention to be successful. Well some just don't. A few years back, everyone in my company had fancy iphones and stuff. Guess what did I have? A little 3 inch nokia, that needs charging every 7 days, and no matter how you trash it, it doesn't need repair. My workers? Done with their 1st and 2nd ones, already on the newest model. I had not even jump in the competition yet. While I don't fancy all the gold and bling blings, I do appreciate a beautiful solid watch, one that I can just stare at for a long time in awe. Of course, it will be hidden in my rugged clothing and worn boots, only revealed once in a while.

Someone said doing business requires to dress fancy. Not so. As long as you look neat and honest with quality, the conversation is way more important. Actually we hate the guys who dress nice and trying to sell things. The bosses that I know of and do business with, we enjoy each other's company down to earth, not because of appearance. Business is just an excuse, we are more interested in making friends, it's that connection. Dressing fancy? I'll leave that to my sales.

I think it all comes back to 'face'.

Do you call it "face" when it happens in your home country?

It used to be called keeping up with the Joneses & every generation has their own name for it And yes, call it what you like, it is still all about "Face." " I am richer than you. I have a newer car, bigger house, better neighbourhood, flasher phone with bigger screen. "Look I can take pictures with my 10" I-Pad. Look everybody, I have an 10" I-pad." Yep Still about "Face"

So,that's like the Thia Teachers who own lots of shops because credit is given to them, let's not forget the Police or government officals with million dollar houses while many Thai's still live in a wooden house with no hot water. Yea, I like seeing all of the new cars at the school parking lot and thier blackberry Phones.. Show offs in the West, well, they pay thier credit bill every money but here in LOS they appeal to the Kingdom for an extention of time, please.

If you are truly wealthy by western standards and not Thai or otherwise working on an expat contract for your company and need to be there, why would you want to live in Thailand? I ask this as a question to hear opinions. Love visiting occasionally as BK is a great city and lots of great tourist spots around Thailand but would never give up my lifestyle in the US for anything Thailand has to offer as a permanent residence. Even my wife who is Thai doesn't like going back anymore for anything other than an occasional visit to see her family in Bangkok. I can see it as an affordable retirement option if budget is an issue or you just want to live a simple and slower lifestyle, but if you really got money why Thailand? Am I missing something?