Right to Thai ID card of baby born in CR province

The following may be a very silly question, but a friend of mine and his Thai wife brought it up the other day.

My wife is Thai of Akha origin. She has Thai identity card and Thai passport. I am an American national on an Ed. visa. My wife is currently pregnant and will be giving birth in the New Year. We plan to have the baby in a hospital in Chiang Saen, Mae Sai or Chiang Rai. However, my friends told me that she should go to Bangkok to have the baby. If she doesn't, they warn that the baby will not be eligible for Thai ID card when she turns 8, or whatever age it is they issue it. Is this true? It sounds absolutely ludicrous to me, but thought I would ask, just to be sure.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My wife is Thai of Akha origin. She has Thai identity card and Thai passport.

If your wife is a Thai citizen then I am not aware that there is any problem.

There are many hill tribe people who do not get a Thai ID card/passport (presumably 60%), but as you state: your wife has.

What is the first digit of your wife's citizen ID as found on the iD card? (should be 1 or 3 usually).

Edited by KhunBENQ

The child of a Thai citizen is also a Thai citizen, regarless of place of birth.

When your child is born your wife simply supplies a copy of her ID card and the childs birth certificate will show 'Thai' as their nationality. Then take the birth certificate within 14 days of birth to wherever your wife is registered on the house book and have the child entered on the house book there.

When the child turns 7 they can get their first ID card, but feel assured that up to 7, the child is already a full Thai citizen.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The child of a Thai citizen is also a Thai citizen, regarless of place of birth.

When your child is born your wife simply supplies a copy of her ID card and the childs birth certificate will show 'Thai' as their nationality. Then take the birth certificate within 14 days of birth to wherever your wife is registered on the house book and have the child entered on the house book there.

When the child turns 7 they can get their first ID card, but feel assured that up to 7, the child is already a full Thai citizen.

My wife is Thai of Akha origin. She has Thai identity card and Thai passport.

If your wife is a Thai citizen then I am not aware that there is any problem.

There are many hill tribe people who do not get a Thai ID card/passport (presumably 60%), but as you state: your wife has.

What is the first digit of your wife's citizen ID as found on the iD card? (should be 1 or 3 usually).

That is nonsense. It does not matter where the child is born. As long as they have a birth certificate that shows they are Thai they can get an ID card at 7 years old now.

Thank you all for the reassurance. I thought it sounded utterly outrageous, but thought I would rely on more than just my common sense!

Khun BenQ: The first number on her card is 3.

I very much appreciate your taking the time to write.

Cheers

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Number 3 is a Thai citizen.

1: registered within 15 days after birth

3: registered later than 15 days after birth

Dear father,

Make sure you are physically present when the birth is registered at the local government office. This is extremely important.

Also (ultimately your business of course) have you got accurate info. about getting dual nationality for your child. Some countries do allow dual citizenship.