Many dead in collapse at South Korea 4Minute concert

Lite Beer

Many dead in collapse at South Korea 4Minute concert

At least 16 people have been killed and 11 injured in an accident at a pop concert in Seongnam, south of Seoul in South Korea, officials say.

They say a ventilation grate collapsed and a group of concert-goers fell 10 metres (33ft) into an underground parking area.

The crowds had been watching an outdoor performance by the popular Korean girl band 4Minute and other bands.

The victims climbed on top of the grate to get a better view of the show.

Rescue workers warn that the death toll may rise.

'Sucked into a hole'
"Twelve people were killed at the scene, two others died while they were being rushed to the hospital. Others are assumed to have passed away while receiving medical treatment," a local fire official was quoted as saying by South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29660885

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-27

Engineering standards here are not well thought out. I would avoid many places that I suspect are not engineered for load... that means many places.
It is sad that people have to die. However, standing on something that is not meant to take that kind of load is up to you. The promoters of the show or the custodians of the venue should have sectioned that area off limits.
Too often, forward thinking is not applied here.

Engineering standards here are not well thought out. I would avoid many places that I suspect are not engineered for load... that means many places.

It is sad that people have to die. However, standing on something that is not meant to take that kind of load is up to you. The promoters of the show or the custodians of the venue should have sectioned that area off limits.

Too often, forward thinking is not applied here.

You are in South Korea?

Apparently they were warned not to stand on the grate.

It is also reported that one of the security guards involved in crowd control has committed suicide.

• Like 1

South Korea concert planner found dead in Seongnam

A man involved in planning a concert that ended in tragedy in South Korea on Friday has been found dead in an apparent suicide, police say.

Sixteen people died and 11 were injured when a ventilation grate collapsed during the concert in Seongnam.

The 37-year-old man, identified as Mr Oh, worked for one of the sponsors and handled safety measures, officials say.

He is believed to have jumped from a 10-storey building near the venue after being questioned by police.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29673124

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-19

condolences...but really, how can people being so f'n dumb?....and I mean it from both sides, the idiots who designed and built that thing and the idiots jumping up and down on it.

If you lived and worked in Korea like I have, you would know the answer to that, without doubt..

It's so sad when things like this happen.

When I was studying to fly an airplane, I was taught that no accident ever just happens. It starts with a poor decision earlier, and then compounds into the actual event. After many years of experience I learned that this is true.

It's easy to tell from reading the story that this is true. It wasn't just one thing that caused it, but an accumulation of things. All along the way beginning with the design and construction of the venue, and ending in poor crowd control and then people deciding to stand on it, people made decisions that resulted in this tragedy.

RIP and condolences to the family.