Manchester City

mrbojangles

I am rather surprised City didnt bite Inter's hand off when they offered them 21m for Tevez (i bet Tevez would have to take a pay cut).

One thing I have learned whilst in the Middle East is to not force an Arab to lose face, especially one who is a multi-billionaire. Tevez has done this to our owner. Who knows what the outcome will be.

Nobody forced him to lose face-he did it all by himself.

How?

Speaking of losing face, did mancini do the old red card routine again from the tech area against wigan?

He did it once. You make it sound like he does it as often as Fergie does with his watch.

Looks like the owners are starting to tighten their grip on the salaries at City. De Jong has reportedley turned down a 100k per week contract so the rumour mills say we will not go higher and will attempt to sell him in the summer. He only has a year left, so it sounds the best bet to me. I've always liked De Jong but we really need to start lowering the wage bill and this will send out a good message.

This is an interesting one:- http://pompeypages.com/2012/01/19/pompey-sign-former-man-city-convict/

According to reports, Pompey are set to announce the signing of former Manchester City striker, Kelvin Etuhu.

The 23-year old is expected to join Portsmouth on a free-transfer after being released by Premier League outfit Man City last March.

The Nigerian born youngster, who came up through the ranks at City, was jailed last March for eight months after pleading guilty to assault.

Etuhu came through from the academy at Eastlands but failed to tie down a place in the first-team, resulting in loan-spells at Rochdale, Leicester City and Cardiff City.

It is a big gamble from Michael Appleton, who has offered Etuhu a lifeline after serving his sentence, and having only made 37 appearances in all competitions (scoring just three goals) in the English leagues, Etuhu will have to work very hard to prove to Pompey fans he’s worth that gamble.

Etuhu will join Pompey on a free transfer and is expected to be the player waiting to come in, prompting Hermann Hreidarsson’s recent Pompey departure.

This is posted on the City thread because you are currently Premisership leaders. We have two very key matches coming up this weekend that might change things quite a lot. So 'maybe' it will be interesting to see how things lie in a week.

Current bookies season ending points

City 86.5

Utd 83.5

Spurs 76.5

Chelsea 73.5

Arsenal 67.5

Liverpool 66.5

Abrak

There is no such thing as half points! (Not since they got rid of the 2 for a win a and 1 for a draw) pre premiership!

Grow up!

x

Sorry, i apologise, i will bet you 200k that no team finish on a xx+ 0.5 points, by the end of the season!

Edited by trevorg

Abrak

There is no such thing as half points! (Not since they got rid of the 2 for a win a and 1 for a draw) pre premiership!

Grow up!

x

Sorry, i apologise, i will bet you 200k that no team finish on a xx+ 0.5 points, by the end of the season!

Actually, as I pointed out, they are the bookies seasonal ending points estimates. With each estimate you can bet at odds of 5/6 that the team will either score more or less.

So with City their number is 86.5. If you think City will score 87 or more you bet that they will score more. If you think they will score 86, you bet on 86 or less - hence 86.5. And that is why all their estimates are xx.5 points.

• Like 1

Abrak

Grow up!

x

Actually, as I pointed out, they are the bookies seasonal ending points estimates. With each estimate you can bet at odds of 5/6 that the team will either score more or less.

So with City their number is 86.5. If you think City will score 87 or more you bet that they will score more. If you think they will score 86, you bet on 86 or less - hence 86.5. And that is why all their estimates are xx.5 points.

Abrak - you win again! As Errol Brown from Hot Chocolate reminds me most evenings!;-) Just realised I was thinking of Everyone's a winner - though the BeeGee's aren't bad either! Where's the I'm an idiot button?

Edited by trevorg

Also using decimal points doesnt bother stats people even if only individual points are at stake.

If you consider City vs Spurs the most likely outcome is that City will win.. But if you are trying to workout season ending points awarding 3 points to City and 0 to Spurs is not a good idea. City cant score more, Spurs cant score less and the result may not turn out in the most probable way. So what the stats men do is take the outcomes and multiply them by their probability. In my case (which I doubt is pretty accurate) this means that City will score 1.87 points out of the match and Spurs will score 0.89 points. Even the points dont add to a round number because the sum of the points could be 2 or 3.

I understand that 0.89 points sounds incredibly stupid because you can 100% guarantee they will not score that. But say forecasting on the basis that City wins and Spurs score zero points is absurd to a statistician. The only way you can assume zero points is on the basis that you are 100% certain they will lose - which means you can read the future.

The 90 points thingy is on the slide now as i predicted! wink.png

90 points is on the slide I agree but still not improbable.

If we take 86 points this is what it looks like.

post-23517-0-34760900-1327113865_thumb.j

The first thing you can see is that City get to 86 with their performance falling off considerably. To me 86 is a minimum for City and 90 is still just achievable.

Utd have to match their historic form (which I think is rather based on an easier first half fixture list). But clearly 86 points is very possible for Utd. It also has to be remembered with Utd that they can play better than they have played. Then you have Spurs who arent far behind but need to improve a touch to get to a minimum of 86.

Some interesting stats for tomorrow's game.

City scored more goals at White Hart Lane in August (5) than they had managed against Spurs in the previous six games put together (3).

Man City have taken 58 points from a possible 60 in their last 20 Premier League games on home soil and won the last 15 in a row.

Roberto Mancini's side have conceded just six goals in their last 17 home league games and never more than once in a game in that run.

Tottenham have lost just one of their last nine Premier League away matches (W6 D2 L1).

Spurs have kept just one clean sheet in their last eight Premier League away games.

Man City have lost their last two home matches; they haven't lost three on the trot at home in all competitions since March 2007.

Just 5% of the goals Spurs have scored have been headers, the lowest proportion in the top division.

Samir Nasri has created a scoring chance for team-mates every 24 minutes, a more regular rate than any other player.

Gareth Bale has assisted seven goals in the Premier League this season; more than in his previous four Premier League seasons put together (6).

biggrin.png

Yes. Those 6 we stroked past you could become very expensive.

Dream on,that goal difference will dwindle now and you know it.....let's be honest here Mr Jingles you haven't been exactly prolific have you lately?? tongue.png

biggrin.png

Yes. Those 6 we stroked past you could become very expensive.

Dream on,that goal difference will dwindle now and you know it.....let's be honest here Mr Jingles you haven't been exactly prolific have you lately?? tongue.png

I don't know if you've noticed but recently we have only had Aguero available as a true striker. So we ain't doing too bad.