Is Thailand really a good place to be in if REALLY old ?

KhnomKhnom

thailiketoo, you're right, we're talking about two different things. This thread is about whether Thailand is a good place to be REALLY old and my point is that the VA forms parts of the safety net in the U.S. for destitute vets, even if their illness or need for assisted living isn't service related, if they're destitute. They can't access those services here (or go to the VA hospital in the Philippines) and expect the VA to pay.

what you're talking about are vets with service-related disabilities, in which case, yes the VA will pay for care here within certain guidelines. But that's not what this thread is about.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thailiketoo, you're right, we're talking about two different things. This thread is about whether Thailand is a good place to be REALLY old and my point is that the VA forms parts of the safety net in the U.S. for destitute vets, even if their illness or need for assisted living isn't service related, if they're destitute. They can't access those services here (or go to the VA hospital in the Philippines) and expect the VA to pay.

what you're talking about are vets with service-related disabilities, in which case, yes the VA will pay for care here within certain guidelines. But that's not what this thread is about.

I agree except for me and the 3 million other vets that served in Thailand and Vietnam and have a service related disability related to that service.

It is quite common and one of the reasons that make Thailand an affordable place to retire. I think it is quite relevant to the topic of the thread because in addition to getting better care here the vet also costs the USA less money than being treated for the same thing in the USA. It's a win win situation and another reason Thailand is a good place to be if you get really old. Many vets may not know they can get reimbursed for service related illnesses in Thailand. It's a good thing to mention it now and then.

Edited by thailiketoo