Koh Tao case influences tourist mood

webfact

Koh Tao case influences tourist mood
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thirty nine per cent of European tourists who are planning trips to Thailand in the next six to 24 months have been closely following the Kingdom's investigation into the grisly murder on the southern island of Koh Tao, according to a survey by Envirosell.

They say the murder has affected Thailand's image as a tourist destination and they are closely monitoring developments before making a final decision.

The survey showed that 94 per cent of tourists from the United Kingdom have knowledge of the murder, against 73 per cent in other European countries, such as Austria, Spain, France, Russia, Germany, Sweden, Italy and the Netherlands.

The survey, conducted during October 13-16 following the murder of two British tourists, covered 618 British respondents and 1,217 from other countries.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Koh-Tao-case-influences-tourist-mood-30245950.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-21

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The survey showed that 94 per cent of tourists from the United Kingdom have knowledge of the murder, against 73 per cent in other European countries, such as Austria, Spain, France, Russia, Germany, Sweden, Italy and the Netherlands.

Why not from Burma?

Why not from Burma?

Tourists, not all-but-slave labour.

The concern in this survey is clearly more about how tourist revenue is being effected.

In that equation Burmese don't matter.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

I think apart from catching the real killers a high % keeping tabs want to see the RTP lies and BS put in their place with a few sacked or charged and the whole scandal blow up in their face.

Of course a lot are watching and paying attn due to the constant FUBAR and BS spouted on a daily basis, it has an "you have to read it to believe it" appeal thats hard to ignore.

• Like 1

I shouldn't think the Koh Tao murders would influence tourist destinations , most would say Koh Tao who , what you do have is tourists that have knowledge of other happenings in Thailand and have altered their destination , people can see B/S when it is laced on thick and that is some thing TAT needs to be well aware of.

• Like 2

I do hope once this is all over and tourism returns, that the powers at be realise it is in spite of the p1ss poor handling of this case and not because of it.

This case is never over until the real killers are behind bars IMO...

• Like 2

Why not from Burma?

Because they are not relevant to the tourism sector... simple really.

I do hope once this is all over and tourism returns, that the powers at be realise it is in spite of the p1ss poor handling of this case and not because of it.

This case is never over until the real killers are behind bars IMO...

"...until the real killers are behind bars" Whose bar?

Do you have any idea how ironic that statement actually is considering the location of the victims prior to the incident?

Jeremy I really think that tourism will NOT return as powerful as it was. Thailand has competition without these scandals elsewhere in cheaper places.

Thailand and people thinking this is going to blow over may see something else over the horizon. The actual Europeans coming here - these that spend lots of money - are dropping each year.

People have had enough and in these harsh economic times, people are really looking at options.

• Like 1

In 6 to 24 months?

Unfortunately no matter which way the decision goes this case will be long forgotten by the and replaced with didn't something happen there sometime ago.

Plenty of nasty things have happen in the past that have been forgotten.

<<<< Off topic deflection comments removed >>>>

Business as usual in those places.

I think you might be wrong in this case. I certainly can't remember a case with quite as much coverage as this both domestically and internationally, every time there's a new news item on thaivisa there are pages of comments and a month on it's not abated.

Maybe it's the impact of social media but this just seems different.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

In 6 to 24 months?

Unfortunately no matter which way the decision goes this case will be long forgotten by the and replaced with didn't something happen there sometime ago.

Plenty of nasty things have happen in the past that have been forgotten.

<<<< Off topic deflection comments removed >>>>

Business as usual in those places.

I think you might be wrong in this case. I certainly can't remember a case with quite as much coverage as this both domestically and internationally, every time there's a new news item on thaivisa there are pages of comments and a month on it's not abated.

Maybe it's the impact of social media but this just seems different.

I agree. This case ain't going away. People have finally had enough. Even the Thai are embarrassed.

• Like 2

New York had to work really hard to gets it reputation back. It's the same in Thailand now. The backpackers and bohemians of today are the bourgeois of tomorrow. Any negative unjust experiences will last generations. Thailand has become to dangerous with bent cops, military rule and mafia influences. Some third world places are/were fun. But Thailand is less fun, more joyless but still just a third world dictatorship.

• Like 2

Years ago some places had a bad reputation amongst young travellers, places like Singapore, Turkey and Malaysia. Their harsh laws and corrupt/ or over zealous police were off putting. They will never get their reputations back. Neither will Kabul or Peshawar but they were tourist places in the late 60s and 70s. The combination of harsh laws, corrupt police and and vicious jails just make everybody think of Midnight Express, the moveie in which American cops are working with Turkish cops and criminals to fit up young tourists. That's what Thailand looks like to me- extracts from Midnight Express.

I'd like to see what the survey questions were , answers you get from a survey can be very much predicated by the questions and how they are positioned

Example

Do you like to take vacation in exotic tropical locations .... most will answer YES

In choosing a vacation location how important is personal safety for you and your family.... most will answer VERY

Are you aware of the recent attack and murder of the two English backpackers at Khao Tao Thailand ... most will answer YES

How likely is it that this and the questionable handling of this horrific case would affect your decision about taking vacation in Thailand.... most will answer DEFINITELY/ PROBABLY

Do you like to take vacation in exotic tropical locations... most will answer YES

In choosing a vacation location is the Kingdom of Thailand on your list of possible spots .. most will answer YES/ or PROBABLY

Given that the political protests there have stopped and Thailand is still one of the top tourist destinations in the world.. would you have any concerns in choosing Thailand ....... most will answer NOT REALLY/ NO /SOME WILL MENTION THE MURDERS

Given the recent Kao Tao situation in which the Burmese perpetrators have been apprehended by the Thai police, does this give you confidence to visit Thailand ......some will say / whats kao tao / don't know/ yes/ no / crimes happen everywhere sort of thing

Certainly in the former example you have a far higher chance of getting a stronger negative influence score than the latter

Surveys are very rarely balanced in their construction and quite often the lean or angle is determined by the desired result

Smells of concern trolling. That could go either way and you acknowledge that implicitly, which is classic poor reasoning or trolling. Your post adds no info, only sows confusion. Was that your goal?