Foreign diplomats ask Thai media to respect social norms

Lite Beer

On a more serious note, the diplomats are spot on!! Absolutely no reason to show graphic pictures of murdervictims (or for Thai police to post it on FB).

But since they do it with even Thai victims, maybe the "social norms" are different here??

• Like 2

There certainly have been some comments and pictures that would be stressful to the families.

However the intent of the former was/is with the best of intention to find justice for the families and victims. With priority being to no future victims.

As opposed to some who would have all of this information hidden, with the possible intent of justice delayed.

2 lives lost.

2 more lives on the balance.

There is going to be some discomfort for all.

I don't agree that the details of the deceased are the most important.

Thai media should do a better job of protecting the living!

For example, it should refrain from publishing names of *living* victims without the victim's consent. Much more important than a deceased's passport page photo.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

"Ambassadors of European Union countries and Japan on Wednesday submitted a letter to media associations, calling them to do everything in their power to encourage media outlets to respect the feelings of families of the victims."

Don't they realize that they are misunderstanding and are trampling on the Thainessn Nosiness of the culture. wai2.gif

Edited by jaltsc

Thailand is the last place in the world I would like one of my loved ones killed. As sad as it is, to then see the graphic images and private details posted for the world to see would make it even harder to deal with.

Could not imagine being the relative of a deceased here.

• Like 1

The TV news at 7 in the mornig shows dead bodies almost every morning from traffic accidents and murder scenes, not a very good start of the day for young kids to watch. I never heard from any educated Thais that they want this to stop or think it's wrong, wonder why?

A better question is why THEY don't ask why.coffee1.gif

The TV news at 7 in the mornig shows dead bodies almost every morning from traffic accidents and murder scenes, not a very good start of the day for young kids to watch. I never heard from any educated Thais that they want this to stop or think it's wrong, wonder why?

Because they love to watch it.

There's an infamous thai facebook group that post videos and pictures from accidents and dead bodies daily for anyone to watch. And when you see all the likes there and 5555 and stupid posts from young thais ,you undersand this is a different country than the west.

60000 likes because someone was killed is not something you want to see but TIT.

There's an infamous thai facebook group that post videos and pictures from accidents and dead bodies daily for anyone to watch. And when you see all the likes there and 5555 and stupid posts from young thais ,you undersand this is a different country than the west.

60000 likes because someone was killed is not something you want to see but TIT.

So Kipling was right after all?

“Asia is not going to be civilised after the methods of the West. There is too much Asia and she is too old.”

-Rudyard Kipling.

• Like 1

The pictures of the deceased on KT were released on FB by Thai Police.

Why was nothing done about this?

It wasn't media, in this case; it was IDIOTIC BIB that broke their own laws of confidentiality - then again, what's new concerning the BIB and unprofessionalism, or the army leaders of late for that matter?

Edited by Commerce

It wasn't media, in this case; it was IDIOTIC BIB that broke their own laws of confidentiality - then again, what's new concerning the BIB and unprofessionalism, or the army leaders of late for that matter?

Please point me to any information that indicates Thai police have any rules or laws about confidentiality?

Confidentiality rules/laws are not the norm in Asian society.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

On a more serious note, the diplomats are spot on!! Absolutely no reason to show graphic pictures of murdervictims (or for Thai police to post it on FB).

But since they do it with even Thai victims, maybe the "social norms" are different here??

No maybe about it. Stick around and you will learn. Asking the papers to quit what is selling their papers is a lost cause. Same as where ever you come from. The news papers are going to print what the people want. When the people decide they don't want any more bad news the news papers will start printing good news. In a way the people who buy that stuff are responsible for what is printed.

• Like 1

Thailand is the last place in the world I would like one of my loved ones killed. As sad as it is, to then see the graphic images and private details posted for the world to see would make it even harder to deal with.

Where would you like to have one killed then?

Was that humour? I didn't find it funny.

Often the biggest offenders are The BIB and Emergency responding teams aka body snatchers, their unethical and unprofessional approaches have made these types of pictures normal here, along with the moronic reenactments and BIB pointing shows.

• Like 2

"Nor does anyone gain from seeing graphic pictures. We can only imagine how distressing this is for the families of those who have lost their loved ones here in Thailand."

Good luck with that.

The problem is that there is one body that gains from this gruesome practice and that is the one selling papers.

• Like 1

Where would you like to have one killed then?

Was that humour? I didn't find it funny.

But, he did have a point I think.

After all, "the last place in the world I would like one of my loved ones killed"...would probably be in the middle east or anywhere the IS can capture a foreigner. They don't just take photos, but decapitate, maim and leave heads mounted on poles for all to see.

I think Thailand is far more sensitive and civilized than that. Evil people operate without constraints of borders.

• Like 1

So Kipling was right after all?

Asia is not going to be civilised after the methods of the West. There is too much Asia and she is too old.

-Rudyard Kipling.

So... Once again a brilliant comment from a very civilised human being.

I guess the meaning of civilisation has changed, for some - as per this post