Latest info about the opening of the new Immigration Office in Samui?

Thanks for your info, indeed they'll probably know at Krungsri too. Now what's left is to photoshop a Google map, i'll manage that wink.png

Greetings. I remember you asking about what the letter from embassy is about, don't remember seeing a response. Please correct me if I am wrong. The letter from the embassy is a "proof of income" letter. Being American, I go to Bangkok American Embassy every year, the month before my retirement extension is due. It costs $50 and it is a notorized letter stating your yearly income.

Best of luck with your first extension. They do get easier except for the "yearly surprise". Every year the Samui Immigration office seems to require something that was not required the year before. Last August it was a map and doctors certificate, this year it is the owner's blue book. Well, there are still about three months to go until August. Who knows what the requirements will be by then? Makes life interesting. coffee1.gif

Cheers!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest I heard on the "grape vine" on opening is .....

Apparently they are waiting on an electric transformer or something like that to be installed then SI will be moved... to the new location on Soi 1...

Estimate was one or two months... So perhaps July 1st...? whistling.gif

Will post if I hear more! wink.png

Will the "google maps company" move together with them?

They can't do without each other.

which may be the real reason for the delayed move..whistling.gif

I heard that he is not there anymore, since the new boss arrived.

You are just trying to make us all feel better aren't you?

You are just trying to make us all feel better aren't you?

I also heard they moved - from one who had to print a Googlemap himself... biggrin.png

Edited by khunPer

• 1 month later...

The original post seems have have drifted WAY off topic!
I pass this place several times a day and have never seen any trucks outside, people working, or signs of activity.
But now they have all the windows in and have laid a gravel road.
Another 6 months or so maybe??

(ps - spot the hidden truck!)

20150629_133017.jpg

I pass this place several times a day and have never seen any trucks outside, people working, or signs of activity.

20150629_133017.jpg

Where exactly on Soi 1 is this place?...been up Soi 1 many, many times but never seen it Rob

20150629_133017.jpg

Where exactly on Soi 1 is this place?...been up Soi 1 many, many times but never seen it Rob

To answer your question Neil, it's about 1 km perhaps a little less from ring road in Maenam....on right side .... it's hard to spot because it is set back from the road..... but if you are coming from Lamai way, it's even tougher to spot, see my pics above.... The torn sign may or may not be there, but only visible from Maenam side...

I would imagine they will decorate with new signs when open.... I heard last night it will be open by August..... (this year I think! ) whistling.gifwink.png

There is a small shop in the junction where gravel road meets Soi 1, the shop advertises visa services, photocopies and the like.

Guess you'll be able to have your Google maps printed there.. tongue.png

To answer your question Neil, it's about 1 km perhaps a little less from ring road in Maenam....on right side .... it's hard to spot because it is set back from the road..... but if you are coming from Lamai way, it's even tougher to spot, see my pics above.... The torn sign may or may not be there, but only visible from Maenam side...

I would imagine they will decorate with new signs when open.... I heard last night it will be open by August..... (this year I think! ) whistling.gifwink.png

Thanks Jimmy...will have a closer look next time I pass, but have a good idea where it is now thanks

It's just down the way from 7-11.

NO NO! .....It's Family Mart or Mini Mart on the corner of the ring road @ Soi one .....facepalm.gif

Unless a new 7 11 has gone in since I last drove by!!!! I don't think so! tongue.png

You are quite correct Jim.

Picture is via Rob.

post-145163-0-05403200-1436405239_thumb.

20150629_133017.jpg

About 200 metres into Soi 1, down a sidestreet on the RH side. Just next to a little group of new shops that have been built on Soi 1, waiting to cash in on the massed hordes of farangs.map%20new%20immig.jpg

Edited by robsamui

• 2 months later...

Latest update !

It could be several more months before the Maenam office is opened.... perhaps three! (?)

They are short on funds to complete, it's not government funded, therefore funded by local business donations... Large donations will give people a plaque on the wall!

Anyone can donate!

20150629_133017.jpg

About 200 metres into Soi 1, down a sidestreet on the RH side. Just next to a little group of new shops that have been built on Soi 1, waiting to cash in on the massed hordes of farangs.map%20new%20immig.jpg

Hadn't noticed the wine shop next to Angela's before .. blink.png

must be recent ..

Edited by churchill

facepalm.gif OMG! Oldsailor.... you do go on sometimes .....tongue.pngrolleyes.gif

Anyway, I did my yearly retirement visa this morning, all done in record time... about half an hour! (oh I'd better say extention of stay, the correct wording police may look at this coffee1.gifrolleyes.gif )

Khun Nok, seemed to more concerned about the idiotic Google Map, which he did himself, and printed ....the building I live in is not even therefacepalm.gif he just wrote in the longitude and latitude.... and stapled it together with my landlords hand drawn map...blink.png

Someone photocopied just about everything else....and someone else did the rest of it.... I got an official receipt, for 1900 baht but no receipt for the photocopies which came to 20baht...!!

Vast improvement in doing it quickly! .... and not having to return the next day, as has been the case the last two or three years ! thumbsup.gif

No new news on the completion date... but sure hope it's before my next extension in December...wink.png

• 1 month later...

Have they left any space for a carpark?

Yep! where I took the photo from, was or will be the parking area....

My biggest concern would be the narrow road back into Maenam..... If there is a buffalo fight going on further up the road the traffic will be.... well let's say a nightmare!

Take a boo at my photos I just posted this morning, ....from the Lamai it would be quite a trip too... not sure if Notmyself's motorbike and side car would make it! tongue.pnglaugh.png

One would hope they may put a traffic light in here.... and take down the stupid lights at Soi 4 .....facepalm.gif

(where is Bopud?) rolleyes.gif

_MG_6617-428.jpg

Have they left any space for a carpark?

Yep! where I took the photo from, was or will be the parking area....

My biggest concern would be the narrow road back into Maenam..... If there is a buffalo fight going on further up the road the traffic will be.... well let's say a nightmare!

Take a boo at my photos I just posted this morning, ....from the Lamai it would be quite a trip too... not sure if Notmyself's motorbike and side car would make it! tongue.pnglaugh.png

One would hope they may put a traffic light in here.... and take down the stupid lights at Soi 4 .....facepalm.gif

(where is Bopud?) rolleyes.gif

_MG_6617-428.jpg

The traffic light at Soi 4 is not stupid, it's very good (when working) - and you riders on the Ringroad has almost 2 minutes pass time, whilst Soi 4 traffic has 10-15 seconds only after waiting looong time...smile.png

The traffic light at Soi 4 is not stupid, it's very good (when working) - and you riders on the Ringroad has almost 2 minutes pass time, whilst Soi 4 traffic has 10-15 seconds only after waiting looong time..

They are stupid, green light for turning right same time as opposite traffic have green light going straight. :-(