Do I need onward ticket if coming by train from Malaysia?

I am coming back to Thailand by train from Malaysia after three months traveling outside Thailand. I do not have a visa and will need a 30 day exempt for US passport at the border. I have 20,000 baht but do not have onward ticket. Will I be ok? I have many stamps and visas before but as stated have been out for three months. Any reports of needing onward ticket from train passengers?

Could you explain why Joe..... I thought one might have to show travel arrangements for within the 30 day period.

At a border crossing or the airport they will not ask for it unless you have a bunch of in/out visa exempt entries.

Only airlines ask for a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival if you don't have a visa.

You may be asked, but unlikely. I have taken the train from Malaysia to Thailand often.

The only place I have been asked by Thai immigration officers, was at immigration on arrival at Don Mueang Airport.

Otherwise, the airlines will not even let you board the flight from the port of origin if you do NOT have an onward or forwarding ticket, clearly showing intended departure date. I was stopped by Turkish Airlines in Oslo, because I had a one-way ticket to Bangkok. Turkish A. helped create a booking which I could use if needed. With this piece of paper in hand, and on their records, I was given the "Good to go" message. Airlines can be fined heavily if they do not comply.

Approaching Thailand from Butterworth by train, you will be given the usual immigration card to fill in before arriving at the border crossing. In this I suggest you show the date of intended departure, as well as either flight number, or other mode, "Bus/Coach" or "train". Have a plan "A" well thought out, even a printed itinerary so as to be prepared for query. If you seem at all in doubt as to your next move, this will create attention, and further questions, maybe even detention.

Edited by TechnikaIII

How long do you intend to stay in Thailand? Why have you not obtained a Visa. Many changes have taken place since the change in government and they are really watching people that arrive without a Visa other than by air.

OP will not be doing back-to-back on visa exempt, so that is fine. For a summary of recent changes, see:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/771612-crackdown-actually-the-contrary/

Could you explain why Joe..... I thought one might have to show travel arrangements for within the 30 day period.

For heaven sake, man! Just let it becoffee1.gifK?

Well, I do not like uncertainty and am not one to put my head in the sand leaving my rear end up.

You may be asked, but unlikely. I have taken the train from Malaysia to Thailand often.

The only place I have been asked by Thai immigration officers, was at immigration on arrival at Don Mueang Airport.

Otherwise, the airlines will not even let you board the flight from the port of origin if you do NOT have an onward or forwarding ticket, clearly showing intended departure date. I was stopped by Turkish Airlines in Oslo, because I had a one-way ticket to Bangkok. Turkish A. helped create a booking which I could use if needed. With this piece of paper in hand, and on their records, I was given the "Good to go" message. Airlines can be fined heavily if they do not comply.

Approaching Thailand from Butterworth by train, you will be given the usual immigration card to fill in before arriving at the border crossing. In this I suggest you show the date of intended departure, as well as either flight number, or other mode, "Bus/Coach" or "train". Have a plan "A" well thought out, even a printed itinerary so as to be prepared for query. If you seem at all in doubt as to your next move, this will create attention, and further questions, maybe even detention.

One-way flight ticket to Thailand

Please note that under Thailand’s immigration rules it is allowed for a foreigner

to fly to Thailand on a one-way ticket only if they are in

possession of a valid visa which they can present when they check-in

for their flight to Thailand.

Without such a visa the traveller will not be allowed to board their flight

to Thailand with a one-way ticket.

Please also note that some flight operators may be reluctant to accept

a traveller to Thailand with a one-way ticket even if they are in

possession of a valid visa. This may be something to do with rules

or regulations imposed by the flight operator. Accordingly, we advise

all travellers to check this with their airway carrier (not travel agent) well

in advance of travelling to avoid last minute complications.

For information about obtaining a visa for Thailand please contact

the Royal Thai Consulate in Hullwww.thaiconsul-uk.com

Ok to all of you who are still paranoid and uncertain I just did it and all I can tell you is when you go through on the train they process about ten passengers per minute. They dont have time to look nor seem to even care about the contents of your passport or whether you have a return ticket. They just run it into the computer stamp it and hand it back to you with a smile. Assuming the train is full and it usually is Im sure it will be the same for you.

To answer why I did not get a visa because Penang has stopped giving tourist visas if after the third one you did not go back to your home country. Thats what they told me at Banana guest house but you could try your luck at the embassy or with some of the other agents.

Edited by devaram

Ok to all of you who are still paranoid and uncertain I just did it and all I can tell you is when you go through on the train they process about ten passengers per minute. They dont have time to look nor seem to even care about the contents of your passport or whether you have a return ticket. They just run it into the computer stamp it and hand it back to you with a smile. Assuming the train is full and it usually is Im sure it will be the same for you.

To answer why I did not get a visa because Penang has stopped giving tourist visas if after the third one you did not go back to your home country. Thats what they told me at Banana guest house but you could try your luck at the embassy or with some of the other agents.

I was pretty much the same coming back into Thailand.

Different story going into Malaysia. They searched everyone's luggage, seemed like 10 minutes per passenger. More than 2 hours to go through the border.