Thailand Health Insurance

thailand_tom

does anyone know of a health insurance company in thailand..that is any good..i need insurance for my father..just found out medicare will not cover his icu hospital stay in thailand..i guess we are the only country that does not accept bills from foreign doctors and hospitals..thanks

does anyone know of a health insurance company in thailand..that is any good..i need insurance for my father..just found out medicare will not cover his icu hospital stay in thailand..i guess we are the only country that does not accept bills from foreign doctors and hospitals..thanks

AIA is a good Insurance Company. Wife and myself are with them . But there are surely others that are good too.

By the way i think this is in the wrong Forum...should be in the health section , not the real estate,

rcm :o

I'll move it over to the health section. Seems this is just medicare not all health insurances. I am guessing your dad doesn't have any supplemental insurance then?

I'll move it over to the health section. Seems this is just medicare not all health insurances. I am guessing your dad doesn't have any supplemental insurance then?

yes..he has supplemental..united health care..but..they are saying..medicare is primary ins..but ..then again they said since it was an emergency..that they might cover it..i find it really strange that niether would cover it ..because he lives overseas..aia insurance are they in thailand ?? anymore..thanks

Yep, the only hope for Medicare to cover expats is if the five million American baby boomers expected to retire abroad get off their bums and make a stink about it. Some visionaries have talked about some pilot programs in Mexico and Central American, but overall I am not hopeful. Also, if your Dad doesn't expect to return to the US, paying EXTRA for medicare part B is a waste of money. This link talks some about these issues:

http://www.retireaway.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168

Edited by Thaiquila

• 2 weeks later...

AIA is a good Insurance Company. Wife and myself are with them . But there are surely others that are good too.

By the way i think this is in the wrong Forum...should be in the health section , not the real estate,

I've been reading a lot of insurance posts lately. From what I can see I got ripped off by AIA major time. A month ago I had bought an insurance (AIA) for my (Thai) wife. i paid about 20k baht for coverage for max. 80,000 per ilness, and no coverage for any condition that results from her being pregnant. From what I'm reading she should get a coverage of some 1 - 1.5 M per ilness for that money, right?

Also AIA said they can't cover me with my tourist visa; need work permit and non-imi.

I've been reading a lot of insurance posts lately. From what I can see I got ripped off by AIA major time. A month ago I had bought an insurance (AIA) for my (Thai) wife. i paid about 20k baht for coverage for max. 80,000 per ilness, and no coverage for any condition that results from her being pregnant. From what I'm reading she should get a coverage of some 1 - 1.5 M per ilness for that money, right?

Also AIA said they can't cover me with my tourist visa; need work permit and non-imi.

When you buy medical insurance from AIA or any other life insurer, the coverage is granted via an extension to a life insurance policy. This means you have to buy some life insurance to get the medical cover. Part of your 20k went to the life insurance portion of the policy and part to the medical expense endorsement. That is why you might not be getting the same level of medical benefits when you compare your coverage with a medical only policy. If you don't want life insurance and want all of your premium to go only towards the purchase of medical insurance, don't buy medical insurance from a life insurance company. Buy it from a non-life insurance company.