Registered Mail 90 Day Report Question

sante

It's about time for another 90 day report and I'd like to register

both the sent documents and the enclosed self addressed envelope.

Last time I just registered the documents, mailed them 2 weeks in

advance but ended up going to Immigration because I hadn't received

my slip after almost a week past my due date. I didn't know if it was lost,

hadn't been sent because of incorrect documents or if the mail was just

slow. The self addressed envelope finally did arrive the day after my

Immigration visit.

My question: what do I have to buy at the post office to affix to the

self addressed envelope? Last time the postal worker filled out the

registration form. I guess I could ask for assistance for both the

outer and inner envelopes but I'd prefer to have the outer envelope

sealed and ready to mail before I get to the counter.

Thanks...

go to the post office with both the envelopes all filled out address wise tell them you want both send and return as EMS when all the stamps/stickers are attached to both envelopes (tacking note of the return EMS number ) put one in the other seal and send

your thoughts on wanting to seal before counter visit +5 seconds to do as i have explained biggrin.png

My missus has been doing my 90 days but presumably much easier to send off.....and she's scárily efficient.

Presumably you have to send passport.

Safe?

Not that difficult, why not do it yourself? And EMS is not necessary. Just plain registration. Cost yesterday 40 baht for both envelopes. Not each.

My missus has been doing my 90 days but presumably much easier to send off.....and she's scárily efficient.

Safe?

Not that difficult, why not do it yourself? And EMS is not necessary. Just plain registration. Cost yesterday 40 baht for both envelopes. Not each.

i would really recommend EMS it will give you peace of mind as you can track the progress of your documents also and i think more important that delivery was successful and also the name of the person who signed for it ok if you don't care and are not worried about paying 2 k for non report

please don't listen to the cheaper ways of doing it be wise and cover yourself for every situation this way max postage 100 bht

and zero grief

Safe?

i would really recommend EMS it will give you peace of mind as you can track the progress of your documents also and i think more important that delivery was successful and also the name of the person who signed for it ok if you don't care and are not worried about paying 2 k for non report

please don't listen to the cheaper ways of doing it be wise and cover yourself for every situation this way max postage 100 bht

and zero grief

I guess you don't understand the Thai postal system. Rong Tamien is pretty much the same as ems. Maybe a day slower. It is registered. It is not the money. I don't drive a Benz but a Toyota. They both will get me from point a to point b. But then, each to his own desire.

Just ask to EMS both. Obviously you'll need to leave the envelope open so they can affix the bits & bobs.

don't use EMS. it takes much longer and is more expensive. good for higher value items coz more insurance.

ask the postal clerk for a sheet of registered stickers "Phratet" (for use within Thailand). there are 2 types, Phratet and International. you will need to show your ID for the stickers.

Safe?

and zero grief

don't use EMS. "rong tabien" (registered) is all you need and much more efficient. can see who signed for it as well. EMS goes to Lamphun 1st. can take up to 5 days. good for more valuable goods.

Sante,

It is clear that you are new in Thailand and that you are concerned about "every little thing." Thailand is not so different and difficult to navigate. Be brave. Ask questions! But not always here on TV Chiang Mai. Go to where you need the service --- with a smile.

With a smile and a polite nod at a post office, they will help you to send a registered letter to immigration. Everyone I have met at a Thai post office around Chiang Mai is conversant in Englishfor postal matters. Prepare it as indicated on the pinned thread above. That is all you need to do. It is not expensive. You do NOT need EMS. It will not hurt to use it, but you definitely do not need it!

Most of all, relax!

It is all the same as mailing a registered letter almost everywhere.

Edited by Mapguy

Oscar2, thanks for the information--just what I looking for. And it seems as if filling out a slip is unnecessary when using stickers. I was concerned about language problems. For my last 90 report I got some EMS cards from the post office but then realized I couldn't fill them out because I can't read Thai. Interestingly, when I requested EMS for my last 90 day report the postal clerk told me to send it registered instead. I was able to track it online. The envelope was delivered to Immigration the day after I mailed it.

Good information here thanks.

One little thing item 5:

5. Last receipt of Notification (Original)

I presume this is the white slip they staple in yr passport warning of the next date to do the 90 day report?

Edited by cheeryble

One little thing item 5:

I presume this is the white slip they staple in yr passport warning of the next date to do the 90 day report?

Yup thumbsup.gif It is that stapled in notification that they want back

Safe?

If your misses does yes she needs the passport.

Seems to me some where I read that she would have to have authority to do it for you. I don't think they adhere to that how ever. But there is always the chance you might get an officer on a PMS day. That would be rare as general speaking no matter how ignorant people have been they are good natured.

I just realized they are definite proof of The Land Of Smiles.

One little thing item 5:

Yup thumbsup.gif It is that stapled in notification that they want back

Is there a problem doing this by mail if you don't have the white slip warning of the next due date since we have exited and re-entered via Suvarnabhumi and were not given a new slip upon re-entry? The re-entry stamp has the day we re-entered so the 90 days can be calculated from that.

Is there a problem doing this by mail if you don't have the white slip warning of the next due date since we have exited and re-entered via Suvarnabhumi and were not given a new slip upon re-entry? The re-entry stamp has the day we re-entered so the 90 days can be calculated from that.

I didn't have a notification slip because I had been traveling in Australia and re-entered Thailand (CM airport) within 90 days. No problem with mailed documents--got my new notification slip without including the previous one.

• Like 1

I didn't have a notification slip because I had been traveling in Australia and re-entered Thailand (CM airport) within 90 days. No problem with mailed documents--got my new notification slip without including the previous one.

Like Sante said should be no problem but do them the favor of showing why

by including a copy of your passport re-entry date stamp

Although your TM.6 (Arrival/Departure Card) copy will also show it

It never hurts sending a copy of anything you might think will help

• Like 1

I was checking online to see if my 90 day report registered envelope,

sent yesterday, had arrived at Immigration. It had but then, thinking

about my enclosed registered self addressed envelope, I realized I

hadn't copied down the number on the purchased sticker. Actually, I

didn't even look for a number, instead admired the artistry of the

beautifully designed sticker without even considering how I'd trace

it. Duh, what an idiot. Oh well, guess I'll wait a month and if it

hasn't arrived I'll have to go to Immigration. Last report, my

returned slip took 16 days to travel across town and so Loy Krathong

should stretch that travel time even more.

There is a number on the sticker, right?

I was checking online to see if my 90 day report registered envelope,

sent yesterday, had arrived at Immigration. It had but then, thinking

about my enclosed registered self addressed envelope, I realized I

hadn't copied down the number on the purchased sticker. Actually, I

didn't even look for a number, instead admired the artistry of the

beautifully designed sticker without even considering how I'd trace

it. Duh, what an idiot. Oh well, guess I'll wait a month and if it

hasn't arrived I'll have to go to Immigration. Last report, my

returned slip took 16 days to travel across town and so Loy Krathong

should stretch that travel time even more.

There is a number on the sticker, right?

Yes, there is. Relax, don't worry about it. I've never once bothered to check the tracking and its come back every time.

Just got back another report (spouse) in about 10 days done by registered mail in Muang. The return mail was NOT returned registered even though the postage on the envelope provided for it so I wonder why bother. Just send your request registered.

For the really curious, the machine-generated form was time

-stamped 18:48. Somebody's putting in overtime.

At the recent expat meeting, the Thai chief of immigration mentioned that they do the mail-in items after regular office hours....and sometimes stay as late as 11PM to finish them! Still, he encouraged everyone to do their 90-day reports by mail.

Just got back another report (spouse) in about 10 days done by registered mail in Muang. The return mail was NOT returned registered even though the postage on the envelope provided for it so I wonder why bother. Just send your request registered.

If you didn't affix the registration sticker yourself on the return envelope, then how could the return have been registered?

If you didn't affix the registration sticker yourself on the return envelope, then how could the return have been registered?

I thought about that, too, bu tthe post office clerk didn't offer to. I ended up thinking that Immigration, after all, would need to do that because the receipt is THEIR assurance (not mine) of their posting the return --- and I rather doubt they care to bother with all that. Think about it. Not a large concern, I'll wager.

I thought about that, too, bu tthe post office clerk didn't offer to. I ended up thinking that Immigration, after all, would need to do that because the receipt is THEIR assurance (not mine) of their posting the return --- and I rather doubt they care to bother with all that. Think about it. Not a large concern, I'll wager.

You've got to be joking. "The Post Office clerk didn't offer to", lol. Perhaps because he was incapable of reading your mind. And I'm pretty sure that the Immigration employee cares as much about your receipt as you care about his personal admin.

Hint: you have to pay for and affix whatever return postage method you desire on the "self addressed stamped envelope."

What a difference between regular and registered mail. I received my returned slip today, Friday, and I just sent it on Monday. Both the documents and the self addressed envelope were registered, the latter with a sticker. For my last report, as I mentioned previously, the time span of the self addressed envelope between Immigration departure and arrival at my home was 16 days.

The cost, 18 baht for each envelope, so 36 total, is worth it. I'm only familiar with the CMU post office where I have a post office box but the registered sticker and stamps are sold at the side counter that also offers envelopes, boxes and other mail items.

Edited by sante

You've got to be joking. "The Post Office clerk didn't offer to", lol. Perhaps because he was incapable of reading your mind. And I'm pretty sure that the Immigration employee cares as much about your receipt as you care about his personal admin.

Hint: you have to pay for and affix whatever return postage method you desire on the "self addressed stamped envelope."

That's a bit undiplomatic! I do not believe in personal rejoiners in open forum, but, oddly, you have blocked my sending a PM, strange because I don't ever recall communicating with you!

I have used this post office and the same clerk any number of times for registered mail both to Thailand and abroad. We communicate well. But I had never asked for "registered return" except this once which I did most clearly --- no mind reading involved! ---and he understood because he even checked the amount of postage I had already placed on the envelope and caught me short one bhat, which he added. But no registered mail sticker. I wondered about it but said nothing. So, maybe he just forgot --- which seems odd for this fellow who is remarkably efficient and careful --- and I went with the flow and came casually to the conclusion I did. I did not think it worth pursuing --- especially since Immigration has been regularly returning the 90-day slip by UNregistered mail despite the apparent regulation otherwise. I believe that this last point is useful to know.

Conclusion? Not really something to be concerned about, and certainly not something to be rude about after reading a casual phrase in a post.

Otherwise, people have been very polite and helpful with OP Sante. I am beginning to wonder about the amount of help he needs.

Cheers!

Sent mine off on Thursday,for the first time,think i did everything needed,

just will be a wee bit nervous,until i receive the slip back for the next report.

Cannot wait until they have the reporting set up at 7-11,IF it ever happens,

or better yet if you could do it on line.

regards Worgeordie