Five people killed and 20 others injured at an uncontrolled railway crossing in Khon Kaen province

webfact

Five people killed and 20 others injured at an uncontrolled railway crossing in Khon Kaen province

train11.jpg

Image source: Top News Th

BANGKOK: -- Five people were killed and 20 others injured when a passenger train from Nakhon Ratchasima to Khon Kaen rammed at a 18-wheel trailer at an uncontrolled railway crossing in Khon Kaen province Thursday morning.

The killed included the train driver, two train staffers and a Buddhist monk.

The trailer, loaded with soils, was hit in the middle when it crossed the railway crossing while the train was approaching at high speed.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-30

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Train and truck crash leaves four dead, 20 injured

10-30-2014-3-19-16-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Four people, including the train driver, died and 20 others injured when a third class passenger train crashed into a ten wheel truck at a railway crossing in Khon Kaen province Thursday morning.

Sila station police said the incident happened at the uncontrolled crossing at Ban Nongkung in Tambon Sila of Muang district of Khon Kaen.

The No 415 Nakhon Ratchasima-Nong Khai train with four passenger bogies was heading for Nong Khai when the driver, Phet Pandee, saw the truck was crossing the rail line at the uncontrolled railway crossing.

He blew the horn and put the brake but still the train could not stop at once and rammed into the middle of the truck.

The train dragged the badly damaged truck for 30 metres before its derailed.
The driver and three others who included the train mechanics, a monk and a passenger were killed.

The truck driver was seriously injured.
Twenty other passengers were also injured.

All were later admitted to three hospitals in Khon Kaen for treatment.

The police said the railway crossing has no signal and barricades to warn motorists of incoming trains.

This driver might be unfamiliar with the place, and therefore was not aware of the train, police said.

However they have booked the driver for questioning and find out if he had taken any drug or being drunk.

The train accident halted train service from Nakhon Ratchasima to other destinations beyond.

Railway officials have sent a crane to lift the derailed train out of the line.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/train-truck-crash-leaves-four-dead-20-injured/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-30

Khon Kaen train collision kills four people

KHON KAEN, 30 October 2014 (NNT) – A passenger train has crashed into an 18-wheeler truck in the Khon Kaen province, killing four people and injuring 20 others.

The train traveling from Nakhon Ratchasima to Khon Kaen collided with the truck at a railway crossing on Thursday morning. Two train staff and two passengers on board the four-bogie train were instantly killed during the accident.

Local authorities are conducting a clean-up operation in the area and all train services running through the route are temporarily suspended.

The accident followed another railway crossing collision in Phetchaburi province on October 28th that killed two people, in which a car collided into a moving train.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-30 footer_n.gif

It is of no use to anybody having third world design engineers trying to fit into 21st century world thinking , something has to give , so before we all sign off on the blueprints for the new rail system to be built , be it from China or the Mars-Venus rail corporation , could we do a cross check and make sure all designated level crossings either go above or below the permanent way. and ensure that within the design criteria no one can access the per-way at any time, ie make their own crossing points or night market venues.coffee1.gif

Your logical proposal runs against the grain of Thainess.

• Like 2

That's three in as many days, is it silly season for not looking at crossings?

Sad that at least four of the dead were totally innocent, what happened to the truck driver?

Better to look at, or for..., the brains of the silly car and truck drivers. Also part of Thainess, I guess, 'nothing can happen to me, cause ...'. No flashing strong red light nor loud bell can change anything to that, even when they can see the nearing train they still go for it, even between the fences of protected crossings, go figure... A next moron has made some innocent victims again! R.I.P., and my sympathy to the relatives.

(N.B.: in Europe, f.i., the railroad companies often advertise about trains being the safest way to travel, here I don't expect the newspapers will dare to publish the number of the incidents over the full year 2014, mind you, with generally slow trains, expect the deathtoll to rise together with the speed in the future...)

• Like 1

When I first came to Bangkok and saw the old, rickety, open air commuter trains I was shocked, and especially by the "train station" next to the Ratchatewi BTS. I was under the impression that BKK was a modern cosmopolitan city. I am sure when tourists see this they get their money's worth in feeling like they are having a third world adventure.

I think it's time to fire a lot of people, hire some competent people willing to work and bring Thailand's train system into the second half of the 20th century.

Should the truck driver survive his injuries, I hope that he will be charged with 5 counts of culpable negligence causing death or the equivalent charge, and incarcerated for the rest of his natural. People that stupid shouldn't be allowed to breed.

• Like 1

That's three in as many days, is it silly season for not looking at crossings?

Sad that at least four of the dead were totally innocent, what happened to the truck driver?

It's four, 3 on tuesday(Hua Hin Line, Pattaya line, Phitsanalok) and 1 today.

There used to be SRT railway crossing attendants at most level crossings. It sounds like they can't afford to pay them anymore.

We have to see things in perspective. Most of us were attracted to Thailand because it was different. Things happening here are just that difference, just my opinion.

I agree with you..... but in the 20+ years i live here it seems that less and less people care for each other.

• Like 1