36+ years coming and living in Thailand.

Gonsalviz

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two sorts of people who don't get scammed in Thailand.

1. Those who never understand what's happening.

2. Those who are essentially broke.

You forgot number 3. The ones that keep their wits about them.

I don't say they haven't tried but the same thing happens in my country and your country and any other expats country. Why continually pick on Thailand?

You can keep your wit,BUT

Say you bought a tshirt for 200 baht, while 3 shops down it is sold for 180.

Guess what? you have been scammedthumbsup.gif

To make matters even more funnier, both shops are owned by the same personw00t.gif

It does not have to be "in your face" scam to be scammed, so to claim you have never been scammed = you living in total and utter oblivion.wai.gif

Wow, 60 US cents. My God. I think I'd go sucidal.

You are a child living in a place you do not understand. Go home where they steal money from you regularly. And they've done it in a way you have no idea it is being done. I am talking about your government.

I personally don't mind giving up 60 cents to people that barely survive. I won't go to a 7-11 if there is a local alternative, even if it costs more. Why do I want to give money to a multinational corporation.

I have lived in SE Asia for more than 23 years. You think you get ripped off in Thailand. You haven't even skimmed the surface.

The amount is totally irrelevant, the fact still remains.

Just because you are a big spender who after 36 years years still counts in USD does not mean that others are as big of a spenders as yourself.

Scam is a scam, amounts are irrelevant

• Like 1

I don't say they haven't tried but the same thing happens in my country and your country and any other expats country. Why continually pick on Thailand?

To make matters even more funnier, both shops are owned by the same personw00t.gif

It does not have to be "in your face" scam to be scammed, so to claim you have never been scammed = you living in total and utter oblivion.wai.gif

That's not a bloody scam. That's being unobservant and clueless.

If the same happened down the markets in the UK, you wouldn't call it a scam. It is being.... unobservant and clueless.

A scam is not getting something you expected or paying more for something than was originally advertised, agreed or contracted. Something with a different price in two shops? Try Big-C and you can have different priced items in the same store, ON THE SAME SHELF. By the way, that's not a scam either, it's bloody lazy stock-checking but if you don't catch it before the check out girl does, you are being... unobservant and clueless.

If you are too blind to or lazy to check prices before handing over cash, that's being (all together now)... unobservant and clueless.

okkkk, if you say soblink.png

• Like 1

You are a child living in a place you do not understand. Go home where they steal money from you regularly. And they've done it in a way you have no idea it is being done. I am talking about your government.

I personally don't mind giving up 60 cents to people that barely survive. I won't go to a 7-11 if there is a local alternative, even if it costs more. Why do I want to give money to a multinational corporation.

I have lived in SE Asia for more than 23 years. You think you get ripped off in Thailand. You haven't even skimmed the surface.

The amount is totally irrelevant, the fact still remains.

Just because you are a big spender who after 36 years years still counts in USD does not mean that others are as big of a spenders as yourself.

Scam is a scam, amounts are irrelevant

Refer to

NanLaew's post.

• Like 1

I lived and ran businesses in Europe for more than 30 years. And I've been coming here (and latterly living here) for nearly 40 years.

In the last few years here I came across far more crooks and scammers and overcharging (and not all involving Thais, by any means) than I ever came across in Europe.

Dishonesty seems to be endemic here now, and it attracts foreign crooks also.

• Like 2

Agreed, when I lived in the UK around 40% of my salary was scammed by the taxman.

• Like 2

agreed I've not had any problems... but i am waiting for the day... i'm sure it'll happen.

as for the forums, it not really that strange we hear about them on them, that's the point of them really...

so people can let other know what's going on...

without all this advanced notice many of us who have not had any problems might have NOT been prepared enough.

thanks for everyone that vents on here, i know what to avoid, to increase my chances of avoiding problems.

• Like 2