Koh Tao suspects to be indicted by end of month

Lite Beer

David may have heard her screaming, or begging them to stop

Or, he may have heard the ruckus and seen from his window

the bottom line is, Hannah's friends know, and they have told British detectives

100% speculation

Like all the posts on the topic!! Including yours!!

But many crimes are solved thanks to speculation/ creative thinking by the investigators.

You clearly believe in only hardcore scientific evidence, fair enough, but if the police have a DNA-match, what are they waiting for??

The prosecution has asked for more circumstantial evidence.

Bingo. And yet simply circumstantial evidences are what this case is totally lacking of. Poor and incompetent investigation at least...

Not totally lacking. That has been clear from the beginning. CCTV, beer purchase, suspects at the beach....

But don't let the truth bother you!

Not totally lacking. That has been clear from the beginning. CCTV, beer purchase, suspects at the beach....

I think it's clear for you and few else here.

I don't know who killed the two poor lads. But I sure notice that at least RTP showed total and utter incompetence, throwing the whole investigation in the toilet. Or you want to tell me you did not see any flaw at all?

Posts removed

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

I don't know who killed the two poor lads. But I sure notice that at least RTP showed total and utter incompetence, throwing the whole investigation in the toilet. Or you want to tell me you did not see any flaw at all?

There is circumstantial evidence and that is clear.

There have been flaws in the investigation though they probably are not fatal flaws.

• Like 1

There have been flaws in the investigation though they probably are not fatal flaws.

Last sentence is just speculation. As we both explained our points, I'm over with this conversation.

• Like 2

You stated that there was no circumstantial evidence, I pointed out some.

You asked if I saw any flaws or not. I admitted I did, but am of the opinion that it is not fatally flawed.

You got upset....

I did not get upset. I just said the fact that your opinion that investigation is not fatally flawed, is in fact only an opinion.

And as when someone here expressed an opinion, you were so ready to reply with a "speculation", or with a "conspiracy theory", I guess that can be applied to you as well...

After wrote that, I didn't have anything to add, as I didn't want to be dragged into another one liner non-debate. And our positions are clear. Shall we pass on? Peace

I WISH TV members who post comments like the following:

"These poor burmese guy's are going to be put to death, for something they didn't do."

...would come forward with any evidence they might have to help prove these two lad's innocence. I'm sure their defense team would be happy to hear from you. Otherwise, you're just spreading rumors.....which doesn't help anyone, really.

There is sooooo much evidence, circumstantial and other, to show the Burmese didn't do it, just read for awhile on these threads. If you want to read about rumors, look at nearly everything Thai officials have claimed since the self-appointed PM appointed a new head cop to investigate. Note: that was the day before the Burmese were brought to the 'safe house' for their forced confessions with no attorneys.

In the interview of the fighting instructor, he says that David's wounds that were mainly on the left side of his head appear to have been inflicted by a left handed man with a punch knife or similar short knife.
I think you meant to say 'the right side of his head...' All else mentioned is spot-on!
  • Like 1

Really ? And can you give me any good explanation why the killer would return to the island now ? Especially when B2 has denied they had anything to do with it?

Here's the reason: Ko Tao is now known as being safe for rapists and murderers, if you're well-connected. Does that answer your question?
That is just a BS excuse. Especially now , any suspects returning will be investigated, and not by the local police .
What are you trying to say? investigated 'not by local police'? ....then by whom? ...mafia wanna-be tough guys like the headman's people? I wouldn't want anyone to be 'investigated' by the headman's friends or family, as they'd likely get their heads smashed. At Ko Tao, thugs rule.

I WISH TV members who post comments like the following:

"These poor burmese guy's are going to be put to death, for something they didn't do."

...would come forward with any evidence they might have to help prove these two lad's innocence. I'm sure their defense team would be happy to hear from you. Otherwise, you're just spreading rumors.....which doesn't help anyone, really.

There is sooooo much evidence, circumstantial and other, to show the Burmese didn't do it, just read for awhile on these threads. If you want to read about rumors, look at nearly everything Thai officials have claimed since the self-appointed PM appointed a new head cop to investigate. Note: that was the day before the Burmese were brought to the 'safe house' for their forced confessions with no attorneys.
In the interview of the fighting instructor, he says that David's wounds that were mainly on the left side of his head appear to have been inflicted by a left handed man with a punch knife or similar short knife.
I think you meant to say 'the right side of his head...' All else mentioned is spot-on!

There is no circumstantial evidence showing the 2 Burmese men accused of being the killers did not do it. That would be called exculpatory evidence. It doesn't exist.

• Like 1

I would think that evidence would come out in a trial.

In that case amusing and exciting times are ahead of us. The realist in me says this will never make it into the courtroom.

I think it will but cannot claim to be sure :)

If they do indeed have a DNA match, the 3rd Burmese to place them at the scene, and the phone ; it would likely be enough to overcome the other issues.

Yes no doubt, once they finish fixing collecting it, the problem the RTP have at the moment is they don't have sufficient evidence as the prosecution keeps telling them but they just don't seem to be listening or finding it very hard to actually get it.

The evidence the defense team have will also come out.

I am also doubtful this will make it to court but if it does then the defense will I am sure have a far stronger case that the world can see, just hope the judges see it to!

In that case amusing and exciting times are ahead of us. The realist in me says this will never make it into the courtroom.
I think it will but cannot claim to be sure :)

If they do indeed have a DNA match, the 3rd Burmese to place them at the scene, and the phone ; it would likely be enough to overcome the other issues.

In a Thai court it would most certainly be enough ! In a normal court it wouldn't. And the boys in brown have only themselves to blame. Doubt about which phone, some <deleted> about dyed hair and it's really end of story. Let's wait and see if the prosecution is going to burn their hands on this, allthough they probably don't have a choice in the matter.

It's not hard to predict the general concensus outside of Thailand, they will unamiously reject the verdict, and than to think that they probably only know the tip of the iceberg when it comes to corruption in Thailand !

• Like 1

I think it will but cannot claim to be sure smile.png

In a Thai court it would most certainly be enough ! In a normal court it wouldn't. And the boys in brown have only themselves to blame. Doubt about which phone, some <deleted> about dyed hair and it's really end of story. Let's wait and see if the prosecution is going to burn their hands on this, allthough they probably don't have a choice in the matter.

It's not hard to predict the general concensus outside of Thailand, they will unamiously reject the verdict, and than to think that they probably only know the tip of the iceberg when it comes to corruption in Thailand !

The DNA is one of the biggest items the defense has. How on earth can even a Thai court find the evidence whether a match or not permissible? Its impossible for this to be so with the crime scene invaded as it was. That may also be a reason they are looking for more circumstantial evidence as they are well aware this will be brought up by the defense

• Like 1

There is no circumstantial evidence showing the 2 Burmese men accused of being the killers did not do it. That would be called exculpatory evidence. It doesn't exist.

Neither post is really accurate ...and to the extent it is accurate it's misleading.

Any evidence that tends to show the two accused Burmese men might not have committed the crime would be considered "exculpatory" evidence. . . regardless of whether it shows definitively they did not do it.

Exculpatory evidence can be circumstantial, direct, physical or documentary.

Exculpatory evidence that is circumstantial would tend to raise doubts by inference that the accused Burmese men committed the crimes.

That certainly does exist . . . the defense lawyer will be able to provide a lot of circumstantial evidence that tends to show the accused are not-guilty (meaning it argues in favor of the fact they are not guilty, not definitively proves it).

The question is whether there is enough such circumstantial evidence to raise a reasonable doubt that the prosecution has made it's case. if it ever goes to trial.

People can argue about whether what we know provides enough circumstantial exculpatory evidence for a not-guilty verdict, or for no charges to be brought at all.

Exculpatory evidence that is direct would prove definitively that the accused did not commit the crime. For example, if it were shown that both of them had been arrested and were in jail the night of the murder so they had zero opportunity to commit the crime, then that would be direct exculpatory evidence.

We do not know whether that exists.

Background reading:

http://www.rotlaw.com/legal-library/what-is-exculpatory-evidence/

http://www.rotlaw.com/legal-library/what-is-circumstantial-evidence-what-is-direct-evidence/

http://www.rotlaw.com/legal-library/what-is-real-evidence-is-it-the-same-thing-as-physical-evidence/

• Like 2

Really ? And can you give me any good explanation why the killer would return to the island now ? Especially when B2 has denied they had anything to do with it?

Here's the reason: Ko Tao is now known as being safe for rapists and murderers, if you're well-connected. Does that answer your question?
That is just a BS excuse. Especially now , any suspects returning will be investigated, and not by the local police .
What are you trying to say? investigated 'not by local police'? ....then by whom? ...mafia wanna-be tough guys like the headman's people? I wouldn't want anyone to be 'investigated' by the headman's friends or family, as they'd likely get their heads smashed. At Ko Tao, thugs rule.

It's alreaady been in the official news several times that investigators from Bangkok took over the case when the media went crazy about this. If there is any more suspects they will not only be interrogated by the local police,

Whatever happens at the island regarding corruption and mafia , Thailand want to find the real killers , they don't want more negative news from the mediia abroad,

If the DNA is the best evidence they got so far , they cant release the Burmese guys, I hope you understand that ,

My understanding is that the two Burmese suspects took a DNA test earlier in the investigation - and were cleared. Is this correct, and if it is, how can it be explained? Was there a mistake in the first DNA test? If there was, how can we be sure there wasn't a mistake with the second test too?

Also, how does one explain the fact that they didn't flee during the weeks prior to them becoming suspects? If they had really committed the murders, they had ample opportunity to flee - without suspicion, even, since they had already been cleared by the first DNA test. I realize that not fleeing is not proof of innocence. But practically speaking, would they have stayed in Thailand if they had really committed the murders? Fleeing is a natural human response in such a situation.

• Like 1

"There is circumstantial evidence and that is clear."

There are 4 pieces of circumstantial evidence that the public has been told about:

• The DNA match the police say they have from the semen found on Hannah's body
  • The DNA match police say they have on the cigarette
  • The phone the police say they found at the accused Burmese men's residence
  • The fact that the accused Burmese men were close to the crime scene up until about 2-4 hours before the murders took place (the 3rd Burmese man said he left at 1 a.m. and the police say the murders occurred between 3-5 a.m.)

Only the last piece of circumstantial evidence is known to be reliable at this point . . . and that only places them near the crime scene before the time of the murders, not during.

We don't know how reliable the first 3 pieces of evidence are . . . but we can guess some of the attacks on reliability the defense will make.

The prosecution has asked for more circumstantial evidence and for more interviews to be conducted.

We don't know whether that means they don't think they have enough to bring a case at all, or whether they believe they can get more to solidify a case they already have.

BTW I think the CCTV footage from the mini-mart and the motorbike are really irrelevant to the prosecution since it can pretty much be stipulated the 3 guys were in fact on the beach near the crime scene drinking beer until at least 1 a.m. . . . although if they denied this at trial then the footage would become relevant although certainly only circumstantial.

"There have been flaws in the investigation though they probably are not fatal flaws."

This is just speculation the same as saying "they probably are fatal flaws" would be.

You're allowed to speculate if you like just like everybody else.

• Like 1

balo@

It's alreaady been in the official news several times that investigators from Bangkok took over the case when the media went crazy about this. If there is any more suspects they will not only be interrogated by the local police,

Whatever happens at the island regarding corruption and mafia , Thailand want to find the real killers , they don't want more negative news from the mediia abroad,

If the DNA is the best evidence they got so far , they cant release the Burmese guys, I hope you understand that ,

I thought I was up to date with this, so surprised I missed the bit where the Bkk police took over? Can you give me a link to that? As the only reference to Bangkok recently has been that the prosecution said that the police had to travel to Bkk as there were further suspects to interrogate there and that's why it was taking longer to complete the case.

If the DNA is the best evidence they have then they don't stand a chance of getting a conviction for the B2 on murder - yes speculation on my part, this is Thailand

Yes the general population of Thailand wants to find the real killers, the others just want to make a conviction to cover up the true killers

Edited by thailandchilli
  • Like 1

The Police General Hospital autopsy report has been posted online but I will not post it here as it is in Thai only. If interested, you should be able to find it easily.

The report that has been posted without the preamble is only one page of well spaced type for both victims and seems rather cursory in nature, compared to autopsy reports on victims of violent crime where the circumstances of death are far from clear in the US or other Western countries. Perhaps it is only a summary but it seems entirely consistent with what was described as the autopsy findings on Thai TV by the police pathologist in charge.

The report says that both Hannah and David died from violent blows to the head with a blunt instrument that caused wounding consistent with the hoe that was found nearby.

DNA traces of a Mr C were found on Hannah's nipples and semen with DNA from a Mr B and Mr C were found internally.

No sign of sexual assault on David.

No signs of toxic substances or poisoned food in either victim.

Nothing is mentioned about the multiple incision or chop wounds on David's head or upper torso or the obvious difference in the wounds to each victim that the pathologist ascribed to the same blunt instrument as murder weapon.

Did the report mention the abrasions on David's knuckles showing signs of a fight, which was mentioned in the first autopsy?

balo@

I thought I was up to date with this, so surprised I missed the bit where the Bkk police took over? Can you give me a link to that? As the only reference to Bangkok recently has been that the prosecution said that the police had to travel to Bkk as there were further suspects to interrogate there and that's why it was taking longer to complete the case.

If the DNA is the best evidence they have then they don't stand a chance of getting a conviction for the B2 on murder - yes speculation on my part, this is Thailand

Yes the general population of Thailand wants to find the real killers, the others just want to make a conviction to cover up the true killers

TC

See below from The Phuket news......... re the Brits visit to Kho Tao, The Bangkok Met ADC took over the case, whether that means the Bangkok Met or just it's ADC, I'm not sure ermm.gif

They arrived on the island by helicopter from Bangkok, accompanied by Jarumporn Suramanee, an adviser to the national police chief, and Suwat Jaengyodsuk, acting deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau. Pol Maj Gen Suwat is the chief investigator in the case, having been assigned earlier by national police chief Somyot Pumpanmuang to take over from local officers.

Pol Gen Jarumporn is a forensic expert who went to the crime scene days after the murder occurred. The trip was kept secret, with no police officers in Surat Thani province or Provincial Police Region 8 informed. Police based on Koh Tao and neighbouring Koh Phangan were not allowed to join the meeting or take pictures of the visitors. Only one rescue volunteer on Koh Tao was brought in to provide information about the events of September 15, when Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, were killed, according to the source. The British team went to Sairee beach, where the two were murdered, and inspected the nearby location where the two suspects stayed and were seen playing guitar. They also went to the AC Bar where the two victims had been seen before their deaths, and stopped at a place near the clock tower where police claimed they had found Mr Miller's mobile phone. They took pictures and asked for information before holding closed-door talks in the meeting room of the Koh Tao municipality before returning to Bangkok. Three Scotland Yard police were believed to be on the trip from Bangkok, joining two others who had come to the island on Friday (October 24), according to the source.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-british-authorities-at-koh-tao-crime-scene-49338.php#sthash.FLooVBmG.dpuf

Thanks, saw that article before but missed the bit about the Bkk team

balo@

Imo Balio is right on this. Pol Commissioner General Somyot took personal control of case to control the narrative around 28 sept. This led to the perfect/complete case with the full public endorsement of PM.

As one poster has well documented, it was around 28 Sept that investigation focus shifted away from influentials again and back to migrant workers.

I believe around this time the head of Pol Div 8 was replaced (by Punya or was it Punya who was moved on?). Sorry lazy to recheck history according to Nation and TV

• Like 2

I think it will but cannot claim to be sure smile.png

You conveniently forget and purposely leave out that the "star witness" for the RTP, testified after being tortured,

that the 2 Burmese under arrest, were sleeping soundly with no evidence they even witnessed a crime,

and no evidence they committed a crime,

no blood, anywere,

no bloody gloves

no Bruno Mali shoe prints in blood,

not a stain on their sink,

not even a drop

circumstantial evidence of their involvement doesnt exist which tells the rest of the thinking world,

the DNA is false

• Like 1