New rule limiting the number of 30 day visa exemption entries to six only

Hi, I need ur help urgent!

I came to bkk last night via don meung, they told me I have been in and out 6 times, another time will be deny entry to thailand. I will be out of Thai on 16 feb back again on 26 feb! What can I do, can u pls advice. Is going to suvanambhumi airport better?

After some confusion, now it seems that is just a computer warning and is looked by few offices only.

I think that for a next time if you carry Bt 10,000 cash, and an outgoing ticket and immigration will have no legal basis to deny you entry.

You have no RIGHT of entry ! Whether you are allowed into the country is at the discretion of the IO, they do not need any "legal" basis to deny you entry.

• Like 1

You have no RIGHT of entry ! Whether you are allowed into the country is at the discretion of the IO, they do not need any "legal" basis to deny you entry.

Not at their discretion. Yes they need a legal basis to deny entry.

You are bringing misinformation to this forum, if you have any issue with my postings just click "Report" at the bottom and let Mods deal. And welcome to my ignore list.

I was told that my passport came out in their computer that i was traveling in and out of bkk, so they question me and many ppl been question last night, when in the room i ask the officer, he told me that 30days visa I was using was not right, he told me if I were to get out of bkk next time I must come with a valid visa like tourist visa, so I ask him, what if I only come for 3 days, he told me yes, I hv to apply also, so many confusion, don't know to believe him anot? Thai hv this 30 days visa, but when we use it they say can only limit to 6 times. Does any1 hv this issue at suvanmhumi? Pls pm me or reply me, thank you so much!

As I mentioned in a earlier post, I am sure that the budget airlines are thrilled that many frequent travelers to Thailand are being driven away because of inconsistent application of immigration rules at Don Muang airport.

I for one now avoid the likes of Air Asia like the plague.

Thank you so much everybody, now I know thailand hv many different systems, in airport too!

Hope ppl who see this post, pls post something about their case or experience here, so every1 will know what to do when expericing this matters!

Thailand is a different system :)

Not at their discretion. Yes they need a legal basis to deny entry.

You are bringing misinformation to this forum, if you have any issue with my postings just click "Report" at the bottom and let Mods deal. And welcome to my ignore list.

In the case of issuing a visa waiver, an IO has full discretion in granting the waiver or not or even requiring some to get a visa

The legal basis to be denied entry into a country is very simple, if the IO believes the person is abusing or not complying with the terms of their visa or visa waiver they can be denied entry

As as has been shown in examples in this thread by other posters, they have been warned that this would be their last entry without a proper visa

A person who is not as national or legal permanent resident of a country has absolutely no "legal" right to be allowed to enter a country unhindered, only citizens and legal residents have that right

In simple terms does the little man sitting behind the desk have to let you into a country just because you have a visa or qualify for a visa waiver ? No they don't

Would someone actually clarify if the OP is correct or otherwise............If its correct then I need to obtain Visas in advance no doubt like most others

The events I described most definitely happened to me and judging by private messages I received and other posts on this forum appear to have happened to others as well.

Am I correct in saying there is a new rule? Apparently not.

What are your options?

a. Avoid Don Muang

b. Get a visa.

c. Enter on a visa exemption carrying 10,000 baht, a ticket out of Thailand and some way of proving you are not working in Thailand (such as a bank account with money transferred from overseas).

d. Trust your luck as many do appear to get through Don Muang.

Whatever you choose I would not advise telling immigration officers they are wrong or wave copies of the legislation in their face.

Edited by mngmn
  • Like 1

Would someone actually clarify if the OP is correct or otherwise............If its correct then I need to obtain Visas in advance no doubt like most others

It is not.

You need to go back and read my posts.

I refer you to # 136.....??

• 2 months later...

I should probably mention that I have got a couple of PMs from people who had the same thing happen to them but don't want to run the gauntlet of disbelief and derogatory comments that seems to follow a public posting.

I can add that I recently was taken out of the immigration line at the Chiang Mai airport. I live and work in Myanmar but come to Thailand about once a month for R&R. So I have multiple entry stamps in my passport but none of them are back-to-back which would flag me as a visa-runner. Luckily I had a return ticket to Myanmar with me. The ladies who questioned me believed my story that I was simply spending time in Thailand for Songkran. But they photocopied every page in my passport and I had to fill-out an additional official form which may have been a visa-on-arrival, I could not read the title of the form written in Thai. Then next to the visa-exemption stamp in my passport, they wrote something in Thai which they said was my 6th and last visa-exemption stamp for this current year. On my next trip to Thailand, I must use a tourist visa.

I should probably mention that I have got a couple of PMs from people who had the same thing happen to them but don't want to run the gauntlet of disbelief and derogatory comments that seems to follow a public posting.

I can add that I recently was taken out of the immigration line at the Chiang Mai airport. I live and work in Myanmar but come to Thailand about once a month for R&R. So I have multiple entry stamps in my passport but none of them are back-to-back which would flag me as a visa-runner. Luckily I had a return ticket to Myanmar with me. The ladies who questioned me believed my story that I was simply spending time in Thailand for Songkran. But they photocopied every page in my passport and I had to fill-out an additional official form which may have been a visa-on-arrival, I could not read the title of the form written in Thai. Then next to the visa-exemption stamp in my passport, they wrote something in Thai which they said was my 6th and last visa-exemption stamp for this current year. On my next trip to Thailand, I must use a tourist visa.

That's disconcerting. I was told at DMK last February that I was only allowed 6 exemption stamps a year and that next time I'll need a proper visa. I'll be going back next month, passing through BKK this time. Counting my stamps I should be okay, unless they are counting extensions. I believe my foray with DMK might have been caused because I was arriving from Cambodia, a visa runner favorite. Trust me, I am only a tourist, nothing more. The last thing I would want to do is work in Thailand. This time I'll be arriving from DXB and at a different airport so if I'm questioned or worse, I'll report back.

Edited by Roger Lee

A friend of mine flies to Chiangmai quite often from Singapore on 30-day visa exempt..stays in thailand for about 25 days never done a visa-run before. Then leaves Thailand and comes back after about 45 days, with proof of return ticket and much more than the 20000 baht requirement. He has a double-storey house with if g/f.

Recently at the Chiangmai immigration he was delayed, questioned and cautioned....why you come to Chiangmai so often, what are you doing here, you work here, you have a house here, where you stay etc...he was told to get a visa tourist the next visit...he showed her his return ticket and explained that he is staying for only 25 days which does not required a visa.

Even though if he applies for a tourist visa the Thai embassy would not grant it because he is not staying more than 30 days...

The staff spoke with her superior and they let him in with the same caution, next time no visa no entry...One stroke covers allll...

I think I posted last month on this but I've been back through again on Saturday, so I'll run through my experience.

I work outside Thailand, primarily in Oz. I fly into Thailand once a month for 12-18 days and then I leave for 12-15 days. Every month for years.

I have 2 passports and I do rotate them at times but in the last 12 months I have 9 visa exempt entries on my Australian passport alone.

Last month (March) I arrived at Swampy having never really been looked at at all. And they called someone over to check my entries. She looked at the screen, thumbed through my passport and said ok. But he definitely said to her in Thai "6 entries" and called her over.

They didn't pull me from line, ask me anything, ask for tickets etc. Just added 3 or 4 minutes to the process.

This month I was a touch apprehensive. Nothing. Straight through, no questions asked.

Both times at Swampy.

I did enquire in Perth, Australia about a tourist visa a couple of weeks ago and the lady there said not to bother as I was only going for less than 30 days they didn't want to waste my time....

TIT :)

• Like 1

Ubonjoe mentioned it a few times: the perception is that immigration officers are now required to look at a passport more closely when it has six or more visa-exempt entries over the past 12 months to see whether there is cause to suspect that the traveller may be working illegally in Thailand. Perhaps a flag was added to your record to label you as being above suspicion on your previous entry and thus you sailed through without delay on your last entry.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe mentioned it a few times: the perception is that immigration officers are now required to look at a passport more closely when it has six or more visa-exempt entries over the past 12 months to see whether there is cause to suspect that the traveller may be working illegally in Thailand. Perhaps a flag was added to your record to label you as being above suspicion on your previous entry and thus you sailed through without delay on your last entry.

That would be nice :)

I think it all depends upon the immigration officer you get when you enter. A good one will see the alert about 6 entries and look back through you previous entries and see that they are not back to back and stamp you in. While others will call over another officer because they do not want to make the decision themselves..

Interesting posts....I landed a few days ago and got pulled aside after the counter officer asked if I had visa and I said no. The senior officer asked why I come here a lot and what work do I do and why I not get a visa. My replies were my girlfriend lives here, I like it here, I don't want to get married and I work on a computer, the laptop and internet is my office, trading currency and stuff. She also asked how much cash I had on me and how much in my accounts, I said I was a millionaire in USD and showed her all my cards and Amex gold card and she laughed. I said I never had problems before with coming in and out of Thailand and never overstayed ever for 7 years....she said the law had changed from last year that on 30 day exempts then the person can only stay a maximum of 90 days per year. I totally exceeded that off course since for years I have been coming here, stay 30 days plus extension and then go HK or Tokyo or Singapore for a few weeks then come back and stay another 30 days plus extensions......

The officer was really nice though and she said ok I let you through this time but next time please get a visa. So now I don't know how easy it is to get tourist visa since my passport is full of stamps. Has anyone been in a similar situation like me and had no issues getting a tourist visa after all these exempt stamps that are only a few weeks apart? Or was I just unlucky with the immigration officer?

Last year I was seriously thinking about the 15k USD Thai Elite Card....I guess I have to take that option now? Or whatever options do I have if I don't want to get married and 10 years off retirement age? I really like it here!!

They don't take your previous visa exempt entries into consideration when you apply for a tourist visa at the nearby embassies and consulates. (not true for Singapore).

There is no rule that limits the number of days you can be here on exempt entries over any amount of time..

They don't take your previous visa exempt entries into consideration when you apply for a tourist visa at the nearby embassies and consulates. (not true for Singapore).

There is no rule that limits the number of days you can be here on exempt entries over any amount of time..

She definitely said to me I can only stay maximum 90 days on tourist exemption stamp. So that's just 3 stamps??

She definitely said to me I can only stay maximum 90 days on tourist exemption stamp. So that's just 3 stamps??

There is no written rule that limits the number of days or the number of entries you can do.

They can only deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common reasons are a lack of financial proof or suspicion of working here.

Having the equivalent of 20k baht in cash and proof of having an income from outside the country will take care of those 2,

Hopefully if I'm denied entry I'll have a chance to show them my cash and paystubs.

Appreciate the advice.

There is no written rule that limits the number of days or the number of entries you can do.

They can only deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common reasons are a lack of financial proof or suspicion of working here.

Having the equivalent of 20k baht in cash and proof of having an income from outside the country will take care of those 2,