opalred

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not too many countries give priority to pedestrians at zebra crossings

Well, certainly not Asian countries, but definitely Europe and the UK, Australia, New Zealand.

In Australia, zebra crossings have a large zig-zag strip painted on the road before each crossing, so drivers have some warning.

• Like 2

Well, certainly not Asian countries, but definitely Europe and the UK, Australia, New Zealand.

In Australia, zebra crossings have a large zig-zag strip painted on the road before each crossing, so drivers have some warning.

That's an easy task. Close one eye and drive............

As does the UK. I understand that in Thailand they are shortly going to replace the Zebra stripes with this so that the local drivers have a real understanding of what to do.....

post-30368-0-61065500-1415549542.jpg

• Like 2

US, Canada. Canada seriously so. I worked in Chicago and would take trips to Toronto often and amazed me how well obeyed they were at the crossings. If you just look like you are going to step onto the crossing the cars just stop.

• Like 2

US, Canada. Canada seriously so. I worked in Chicago and would take trips to Toronto often and amazed me how well obeyed they were at the crossings. If you just look like you are going to step onto the crossing the cars just stop.

To me, a Brit, that is just normal behaviour. In fact as a driver, if you don't stop and are spotted by the police or a traffic camera, it is a fine of anything up to £1000 and 3 points on your licence (12 points = disqualification)

Edited by VBF

In Bangkok , occasionally drivers do stop as you use the crossing - but it never to be expected every driver has the time to be wasted stopping for somebody stupid enough to be in the middle of a busy road.. The buses on their tight schedules never do unless there is a passenger to pick up.

And that is the way it should be,in the UK we have it drilled into us at a young age: "Pedestrians have the right of way" I see nothing wrong in that! shouldn't we be thinking about the old, infirmed ,invalids,who are positively terrified of crossing the road! <deleted> can't we take a little bit of pride,by helping these people? or have we got too callous to care?

What mean "we" Kimosabe?

"We" don't run this country. The Thais do.

The zig-zag markings indicate a no-parking area either side of the crossing.

SC

Remember asking the same question many years ago in France..

The answer was it is the best place for pedestrians to see if there are any cars coming and it is safe to cross...

It was NOT "Pedestrians have the right of way" just thought was same here..

​after watching people in Vietnam cross the road, it was easy, you just start walking and the cars and motorbikes just go around you........ here not so sure you would not be run down.

The zig-zag markings indicate a no-parking area either side of the crossing.

SC

The song tiaw drivers (along with 98% of the population) would need re-educating. It's where they stop and wait for customers, usually with front wheels on the crossing.

However, the zig zag lines do give a fair warning for traffic, just in case they're considering slowing down or even stopping.

you right there ignis just returned from vietnam before on trips there was to frighten to cross road then learn put hands up and forget the 1mil bikes comming at you and stroll across they all go around you only once a mini bus touched my leg so i put a dent in his door