Tourism business in Thailand's North, Isaan robust in 4th quarter

webfact

Tourism business in north, northeastern regions robust in 4th quarter
By Digital Content

14156033182785-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 10 -- Thai tourists are expected to take the North and the Northeast by storm to experience cold weather and more than Bt48 billion will change hands in the region in the fourth quarter of this year, according to Kasikorn Research Center.

Kasikorn estimates that Bt33 billion will be spent in the North in the last quarter, some 11.5 per cent higher year-on-year.

Meanwhile, it projected Thai tourists will spend Bt15.5 billion in the Northeast during the same period, a rise of 10.7 per cent year-on-year.

The research center stated that the North and the Northeast were popular holiday destinations for Thai tourists, especially in December when there will be five-day extended holidays during the New Year.

The center pointed out that tourism in Thailand slowed down in the first nine months of this year due to political problems, the high cost of living and domestic economic situations.

It expects tourism will pick up in the last quarter as operators are intensifying marketing campaigns. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-10

Key words here: Thai tourists....

Not western tourists.

They paint a pretty picture for the toutism industry in the North

I find it hard to believe that people would take a train12-15 hours or drive so far just to look at old temples or to feel cool weather.

But them i am not thai and not a buddhist so maybe im wrong.

Thai tourists maybe, Western no. Downtown Udon and Nong Khai like a ghost town. In the 7 yrs I've been up here I've never seen downtown this devoid of westerners, yea! Then again like I tell all westerners, we have no phones, no internet, the airport is just a dirt strip, no electricity, no paved roads, no cold beer, no bars and especially no bar ladies so don't come up.

Sounds perfect !! I don't see many Farang either around my area, I saw more today at the Immigration office than I see through the month, it suits me down to the ground I'm not anti social by any means but I don't like sitting around talking bullshit day in day out over beers!!

Thai tourists maybe, Western no. Downtown Udon and Nong Khai like a ghost town. In the 7 yrs I've been up here I've never seen downtown this devoid of westerners, yea! Then again like I tell all westerners, we have no phones, no internet, the airport is just a dirt strip, no electricity, no paved roads, no cold beer, no bars and especially no bar ladies so don't come up.

You actually say this to every westerner you meet?

How do you go about doing that?

Last but not least, why would you say that to every westerner you meet?

Remember that Thai tourists come at a cost to the government. Individuals who buy local package tours or hotel accommodation will be able to list the purchases as deductible expenses against their taxable income for the year. The deductible amount is set at no more than15,000 baht.

This part of the policy is expected to cost 400 million baht.

I don't know about the North, but here in Issan (Buriram) apart from the residents (mostly retired) the only Westerners we see here are those visiting with their wives/gfs who have come to visit their families. There is of course, an enormous influx of Thai visitors (can they be called tourists?) who come home from their places of work on holidays, especially New Year and Songkran. We also used get get an influx on polling days when they came to exercise their right to vote, but that has now been denied them so they don't come any more.

In which Virtual Realty do some of these so called 'research' centers reside? There isn't, never has been a tourist industry in the NE, so predictions (Thai's love that word, I think they drum it into them at the TAT induction center) are far fetched to say the least.

So in the spirit of current Thai(ness) and to support the zealots of TVF, our official prospective tourist poll suggests:

99.9% expect Isaan to be awash with backpacking tourists

99.8% expect every tourist to spend at least $10,000 per week in the local economy

100% of all tourists 100% support the military junta (sorry, government)

99.98% support the current price of Som Tam

100% believe there is no crime, corruption or double pricing

110% believe Prayuth to be the most handsome man on the planet

120% believe Yingluck is a She Devil

99.9% believe it never rains in Thailand

100% expect to travel to Thailand on Thai International's exceptional aircraft

Edited by GinBoy2