Hospital in Bangkok clarifies 'ban' on pregnant employees

webfact

As if nurses don't already sacrifice by working all hours, overtime, dealing with suffering on a daily basis, exposed to every disease on the planet, and now they are expected to give up having a family to support them in their old-age? Where does this administrator get off with this extremely unreasonable demand? It seems administrators have to check their compassion and empathy at the door to work at this hospital. I am not a nurse nor do I work at this hospital, but I am deeply offended by this notice and the administrator who had it posted.

Ram,

The manager wasn't requesting the nursing staff NEVER have children--just that they postpone for the busy months around the holiday.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we know that the supervisor is a man? Can a woman be misogynistic? Certainly the directive was poorly thought out and intemperate but it doesn't seem to me to rise to being misogynistic and, in all liklihood, the supervisor is a woman.

As if nurses don't already sacrifice by working all hours, overtime, dealing with suffering on a daily basis, exposed to every disease on the planet, and now they are expected to give up having a family to support them in their old-age? Where does this administrator get off with this extremely unreasonable demand? It seems administrators have to check their compassion and empathy at the door to work at this hospital. I am not a nurse nor do I work at this hospital, but I am deeply offended by this notice and the administrator who had it posted.

Ram,

The manager wasn't requesting the nursing staff NEVER have children--just that they postpone for the busy months around the holiday.

Clutch,

So by postponing all staff pregnancies for fourteen months, the supervisor definately has your angle covered, uh?

Right, any employer in Europe or America writing this would be removed and punished. And deservedly so.

Yes, Europe has a birth-rate that is far too low. Europe needs more babies, and things like this dis-courage women from giving birth, it causes a low birth-rate.

But, hold on a minute. There's people on Thai Visa who go on about how there's too many people on earth. How a vast population is adding to the pollution and consumption of natural resources. Now then, lets say lots of places on planet earth were to discourage staff from getting pregnant, and encourage them to not have children, and punish staff if they get pregnant.

Well, surely, this will create a lower birthrate. This will create the negative population growth that some people seem to want so badly !!

Wow, I mean, just wow.

What century is this again?

"Wow, I mean, just wow."

Erm... say what?

Yes?

Your alleged point is?

Do try to be clearer ...,

or maybe just aim for clear?

You can work up to rational, reasonable and purposeful later on.

Well.......

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

What a disgusting little narrow minded creep that supervisor is and how come it ended up on the notice board anyway, sack the whole lot of these weasels involved in this shoddy episode, In Thailand there seems to be a large concentration of dumb dumber and F!!in idiots.????? bah.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anybody with a ounce of decency would be offended.

• Like 1

Controversial memo on birth control 'not hospital policy'
Poungchompoo Prasert
The Nation

30247465-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- RAJAVITHI HOSPITAL director Udom Chaovarindr admitted yesterday that a memo prohibiting employees from getting pregnant until the end of next year did exist, but explained that it was a mutual agreement within its pharmaceutical division, and not hospital policy.

He said he had warned the division officials and revoked the memo, insisting there was no policy against employees getting pregnant.

News of this memo issued by a hospital in Bangkok's Victory Monument area broke on Facebook, drawing a lot of criticism among Thai users. The page has since been deleted.

In response to the uproar, hospitals in the area, including Rajavithi, initially denied the existence of the memo, though later Udom said he would investigate. Yesterday, Udom confirmed the existence of the memo, but insisted that it was an agreement made within a division and that it was not the hospital's policy.

He said the division head might have been under stress because many staff members were pregnant, and hence had asked for cooperation for all women to take birth control. However, he suggested a misunderstanding might have emerged, as there were internal conflicts within the division and someone who was upset by the order might have publicised it.

"I understand that though it had |good intentions, I have clarified to the division head that this measure deprives people of their rights, is unconstitutional and must be revoked," he said. The division chief has been instructed to find other management measures. Udom said the division also held a meeting yesterday to clarify the issue.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Controversial-memo-on-birth-control-not-hospital-p-30247465.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-11

"He said the division head might have been under stress because many staff members were pregnant, and hence had asked for cooperation for all women to take birth control. However, he suggested a misunderstanding might have emerged, as there were internal conflicts within the division and someone who was upset by the order might have publicised it."

Yeah right, cooperation, try coercion mate.

As for "someone" being upset, I think it was a lot more than that.

• Like 1

Right, any employer in Europe or America writing this would be removed and punished. And deservedly so.

Yes, Europe has a birth-rate that is far too low. Europe needs more babies, and things like this dis-courage women from giving birth, it causes a low birth-rate.

But, hold on a minute. There's people on Thai Visa who go on about how there's too many people on earth. How a vast population is adding to the pollution and consumption of natural resources. Now then, lets say lots of places on planet earth were to discourage staff from getting pregnant, and encourage them to not have children, and punish staff if they get pregnant.

Well, surely, this will create a lower birthrate. This will create the negative population growth that some people seem to want so badly !!

So maybe the manager is an advocate of zero population growth and using his position to further his own personal agenda?

I would certainly agree there are too darned many people on this planet!

Cheers

You think this manager is evil?

When I was a Manager I used to tell staff when and when they couldn't take vacations based on the needs of the organization.

Yes, its true. I used to tell both men AND women when they could request time off and I even sent out memos stating there will be no vacation leave allowed during such and such months.

Let the stoning begin.

I know of a business where they just implemented a policy where if you are overweight they take 1000b per month from your salary until you lose weight then they will give you back your own money.

Excellent policy. It shows management are concerned about the health of their employees.

• Like 1

Do we need anymore evidence of just how far behind the rest of the World this country is?

Truly astonishing that this could even be thought up yet alone make it to print.

And Thailand want to be the leading country in the Asean,,,, oh dear.

Not uncommon in Thailand some people to speak with their a$$e and not with their mouth.

If this had happened in Europe, the guy would have been dismissed immediately.

But this is Thailand...............

If this was written by a male, he should be castrated, preferable with a rusty penknife and two bricks.

And if a female she should be sterilised and have any kids she has taken of her.

And the writer of such punishment seems to have been transported through time, from the Middle Ages. Edited by Benmart

Hey CC

No stoning just cancer....

Cheers,

CB

You wish me cancer?

Even in jest, I do not wish someone cancer.

BTW, I noticed you failed to respond to my actual post.

You have apparently never had a manager tell you when you could take a vacation or deny your vacation request because the workload was too great?

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

Of course I don't agree with this, but I have worked in an administration where there are 90% women ( not as nice as you think !), and pregnancy is a real problem for the colleagues : (it never stops , when one comes back , an other leaves ) : hospital is a hard place to work

• Like 1

Of course I don't agree with this, but I have worked in an administration where there are 90% women ( not as nice as you think !), and pregnancy is a real problem for the colleagues : (it never stops , when one comes back , an other leaves ) : hospital is a hard place to work

Finally, someone with the intelligence to consider the other side of the argument before condemning on PC motives alone.

Empathy--not exactly TVF members strong suit.

Cheers

Not uncommon in Thailand some people to speak with their a$$e and not with their mouth.

If this had happened in Europe, the guy would have been dismissed immediately.

But this is Thailand...............

If this was written by a male, he should be castrated, preferable with a rusty penknife and two bricks.

And if a female she should be sterilised and have any kids she has taken of her.

Do you do jury service by any chance? And if so, do you happen to know where the other eleven angry men can be found, should we need them?

In response to the controversy, Rajavithi Hospital director Udom Chaowarin said he has cancelled the order, which only applied to one department. It was never endorsed as an official policy by the hospital directors, he said.

So why did he or his subordinate issue this illegal order? Whoever is responsible resign immediately please.