YNE135, carb ==> fi.

papa al

I was in my fav mocy repair shop yesterday.

A farang came in and asked the manager if YNE could be fitted with FI, & @ what cost.

Manager said yes, @ 2-3000baht.

Seems unlikely to me but manger usually knows what he is talking about.

Comments....

I never hear of a Yamaha YNE135, I therefore believe you're talking about the Y135LC which is sold in Thailand since 2005 as the Yamaha Spark 135.

It's relative easy to convert a early carburetor version to a fuel injection version, all parts are easily available... but the cost would not be 3,000 THB, it would probably be cheaper to sell the carburetor version Yamaha Spark 135 and buy a newer fuel-injection version back.

The “old” carburetor version of the Yamaha Spark 135 is popular with people who are involved with 125 ~ 150cc underbone four-stroke motorcycle racing...

I would not touch that one with a ten foot pole. You can read my extensive reviews elsewhere about the Nouvo Elegance versus the SX. Truth be known the Elegance with its 135 c.c. engine was and still is an absolutely superb machine. That's why it went unchanged for years other than the color of its paint. The 125 Nouvo SX is also a great machine, but the Elegance will trounce it in acceleration, especially from 0 to 50 kph. If you want to improve its performance upgrade your tires. Otherwise leave it well alone. I'm keeping mine in spite of my having recently gotten a new Yamaha SR 400 which is a superb handling machine, especially here in Pattaya.

Rich: YNE=Yamaha Nouvo Elegance...135cc.

I also currently have a real nice 2006 Spark135 LTD, with full manual clutch. (for sale)

Very rare; I've never seen another.

post-174911-0-97827900-1415868290_thumb.

I ran a YNE for 3 years & 14,000km, sold it & acquired an SX with upgraded tires & struts &c.

Agree with JC, both are swell.

So, in-as-much-as I don't currently have a YNE in my quiver, my interest is only academic.

If any of you YNE owners out there is feeling adventuresome, I'd be glad to steer you to the referenced shop, in Pattaya.

Edited by papa al

I would not touch that one with a ten foot pole. You can read my extensive reviews elsewhere about the Nouvo Elegance versus the SX. Truth be known the Elegance with its 135 c.c. engine was and still is an absolutely superb machine. That's why it went unchanged for years other than the color of its paint. The 125 Nouvo SX is also a great machine, but the Elegance will trounce it in acceleration, especially from 0 to 50 kph. If you want to improve its performance upgrade your tires. Otherwise leave it well alone. I'm keeping mine in spite of my having recently gotten a new Yamaha SR 400 which is a superb handling machine, especially here in Pattaya.

Jack, the Elegance, while quicker than SX,

is a gas hog and has that annoying 'hard to start after sitting a week' property.

FI might help these defecits more so than upgraded tires, methinks.

What affect FI conversion would have on acceleration is unclear.

Regardless, Nouvo would not be my 1st choice for racing.

Spark135 would be more appropriate, as RichardBKK suggests.

Jack, the Elegance, while quicker than SX,

is a gas hog and has that annoying 'hard to start after sitting a week' property.

FI might help these defecits more so than upgraded tires, methinks.

What affect FI conversion would have on acceleration is unclear.

Regardless, Nouvo would not be my 1st choice for racing.

Spark135 would be more appropriate, as RichardBKK suggests.

Papa al------I agree with you as to the Spark being a better choice for racing, but for most of us that's a moot point.

As to the starting issues, again, I agree with you. I bought my girlfriend a fuel injected Yamaha Filano which started instantly after we returned from a one month trip to the U.S. whereas my Elegance barely made it through the starting routine. But take another look at my road tests of both the Elegance and the Nouvo SX. Highway driving delivered the exact same fuel economy for the SX and the Elegance. But in the city driving loops the Elegance nearly equaled the fuel economy of the Nouvo SX. But.......this is only because I was very careful to drive my Elegance the same way I had been driving the Nouvo SX I had been testing. The thing about the Nouvo SX is it has a little onboard computer the driver can use to monitor his fuel economy as he drives along. This little onboard computer encourages the driver to back off the accelerator and this has a significant effect on one's city driving fuel economy. Under normal city driving I tend to take advantage of the Nouvo Elegance's quick acceleration and that's when I get mediocre fuel economy. This is all pure physics. Consider also that the Elegance has 135 cc's to the SX's 125 cc's. This amounts to the fact that the Elegance has a 8 % larger mouth to feed. Normally I get 32.33 kilometers to the liter with my Elegance but when I backed off the throttle doing my comparative road tests between the Nouvo SX and the Elegance I managed 41.9 kilometers to the liter driving a loop that was primarily city driving.

I think the Nouvo SX was designed more for fuel economy than quick acceleration in city driving whereas the Elegance was designed to put a lot of power on the line especially at slower speeds that accounts for its decisive edge over the Nouvo SX from zero to fifty kph. Again, this is pure physics..if you make use to the Nouvo's quick acceleration it's going to suck fuel. But if you drive it sedately, (who wants to?) you will you will travel nearly as far on the 135 Elegance as you will on the 125 SX due to the fact that the Elegance has a 4.8 liter fuel tank to the SX's 4.3 liter tank. in mixed driving conditions (Highway and city driving).

For me, far more important than fuel economy is RANGE. A good friend of mine in my building just bought a new 150 c.c. Honda PCX. He nearly bought the Nouvo SX but one of the decisive factors that made him go to the PCX is the 8 liter fuel tank of the PCX. This means he does not constantly have to keep putting fuel in his tank and he can cruise for a long distance before having to worry about finding a gas station. (the 125 PCX has a 6.2 liter fuel tank while the first incarnation of the 150 PCX downsized its fuel tank to 5.9 liters). If Yamaha had come out with its Nouvo SX 125 with a 6 liter tank instead of its paltry 4.3 liters, I would have traded my Elegance for the SX a long time ago. But now that I have bought the Yamaha SR 400, I see little reason to get rid of my Yamaha Elegance due to the fact that I can travel a long way before refueling with this new bike of mine. Tthere is no way that the much large 400 c.c. bike will equal the 125 class bikes for fuel economy but I'm going to be able to travel twice the distance on it as I can on my Elegance before I need to worry about refueling.

Manager said yes, @ 2-3000baht.

Seems unlikely to me but manger usually knows what he is talking about.

laugh.png ...I know, everything no pompem...

But nonsense, never possible with original parts, too many things are needed to be changed.

Maybe with some aftermarket tinker crap...but even than.

The easiest solution *would be* to buy a scrap/accident 125i Mio from an auction and use all the parts (if possible).

However, the Elegance is an old dog and not worth the hassle.

Better sell or donate it.

• Like 1

Turk, as I iterated in a post # 4 I don't currently own a YNE, but good Idea about the Mio.

Where can one buy wrecked bikes?

Like a CBR250.

Jack, Right on. Acceleration of YNE vs. SX...moot point for me, ya?

When I toured around on YNE I had to stop too often.

Happy touring on an old CBR150 now.

I just drive however I feel like it and got 30(+)kpl on the YNE and get 40(-)kpl on SX.

~ 30% better with SX I'd say.

After the first few days I stopped looking at that instantaneous fuel economy display.

Screw it, I just look at traffic, road hazards, and girls in shorts.

Edited by papa al