Disposabe Razors

stat088

Hi guys,

Normally i use gillette double bladed disposable razors for shaving. The last few years they have become harder to find.

7-11 now have their own brand which is crap. The triple blades are not to my liking also as they don't seem to work well around the nose and mouth . I like the Gillette double blades but they are becoming harder to find.

Can anyone recommend disposable razors that are easy to find and are good for shaving?

90% of all no brand disposable razors are made by the same company, American safety razor company, so they will be of comparable quality.

I use the triple blades from Gillette, and the around nose issue is actually a matter that disappears when you get used to them.

• Like 2

90% of all no brand disposable razors are made by the same company, American safety razor company, so they will be of comparable quality.

I use the triple blades from Gillette, and the around nose issue is actually a matter that disappears when you get used to them.

First statement may have been true in the '70s or '80s before China got into the act. Today there are literally hundreds of Chinese companies turning out crappy disposable razors. There may be some Chinese companies turning out great razors, but I haven't run across one yet, to my knowledge. And I've tried dozens of brands.

I buy my disposable razors at Boots. Gillette double blades and they work best of any brands I've tried in Thailand, and superior to any disposable I found while living in China. Like the OP, I used to buy them at 7/11 but don't trust their new house brand razors. (Full disclosure- For all I know, the Gillettes may be made in China, but apparently with good supervision)

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I have never understood how I can buy a potato knife etc with a 25 year/lifetime guarantee yet cannot find a razor that lasts more than a week. I suspect the problem lies in the small print of the patents taken out by messers Bic, Gillette or Wilkinson more than a century ago (deliberately short self life for financial gain to their companies).

danthinking.png

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

I have never understood how I can buy a potato knife etc with a 25 year/lifetime guarantee yet cannot find a razor that lasts more than a week. I suspect the problem lies in the small print of the patents taken out by messers Bic, Gillette or Wilkinson more than a century ago (deliberately short self life for financial gain to their companies).

danthinking.png

You can buy straight razors with guarantees but you have to hone them. Sharpening is the final stage in the process. At first the blade is sharpened on a special grinding machine using a waterstone wheel. Following that the blade is hand honed on an antique Belgian flat waterstone. Finally the cutting edge is finished on a two-sided leather strop using a special paste on one side and natural oils from the human hand on the other .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiers_Issard

post-187908-0-66766700-1416114669_thumb.

• Like 1

I prefer Schick - smoother blade - closer shave - lasts longer.....

Use to be here right next to Gillette (which I don't like) - but now have been forced out it seems.....

Schick disposable twin-blades are also my choice and they used to be available at 7-elevens before they disappeared for a quite spell. I have bought them recently at Big C... or maybe it was Tesco-Lotus.

I use the Schick 3-blades disposables. I used to bring the packs you buy at Costco but lately they are for sale here. Not everywhere but I think at Tesco.

Last year i bought the 5 blade non-disposable razor that sells at Watsons but although they give a great shave they are too inaccurate under the nose. Went back to the Schick 3-blade disposables.

Last month on a trip home I bought the 5-blade Schick non-disposable razor, advertised by them as their best ever. Same issue as the Watsons razor. Great shave but not good under the nose. After a few times touching up with the 3-blade, I gave up using it and went back to using the Schick 3-blade disposables. Great razors.

I should note that both brand of 5=blade razors have their own method of trimming ie under the nose. Neither work well for me. The 3-blade just fits in under the nose. No issues.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I use the BIC single blade "yellow pack" razors, they are cheap and if used correctly last for ever, when I say used correctly - they will cut the face off you the first few shaves if you are not gentle with them but over time and I mean weeks they just go on and on, the one I have left in my bathroom I've been using for months (seriously months) and only now does it need replaced.

I bought these in the UK and I'm now about to have a look around the stores in Pattaya to see if I can find them

I had a couple of twin blade Gillette refills sitting on my bathroom cabinet for about a year unused and tried them both yesterday and they were blunt just sitting there

If anyone has seen these in a store here please let me know

You can sharpen your disposable razor by running it forward up your jeans,

Think your find it does not sharpen the blades any more.

But removes old soap / skin / hair.

But makes it feel sharper

It will kill the lube strip if you do this, don't think the lube strip does much anyway wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I use the BIC single blade "yellow pack" razors, they are cheap and if used correctly last for ever, when I say used correctly - they will cut the face off you the first few shaves if you are not gentle with them but over time and I mean weeks they just go on and on, the one I have left in my bathroom I've been using for months (seriously months) and only now does it need replaced.

I bought these in the UK and I'm now about to have a look around the stores in Pattaya to see if I can find them

I had a couple of twin blade Gillette refills sitting on my bathroom cabinet for about a year unused and tried them both yesterday and they were blunt just sitting there

If anyone has seen these in a store here please let me know

you can't. Find them here ,when in the UK I go to the pound store buy 4 or5 packs and use them through the year far cheaper a quid for 10

It is not the shaving of your stubble which blunts the keen edge of you razor ,it is water left on overnight. I never let my tackle touch water,only oil. Most blades will last at least one month. Keep the head in a cup of oil . Also the oil gives you a smooth shave..