Ethnic groups, stateless ask NRC to consider their rights

webfact

NRC
Ethnic groups, stateless ask NRC to consider their rights

BANGKOK: -- The network of local ethnic and indigenous people on Monday submitted a petition to National Reform Council (NRC), asking the council to consider reforming their rights.

NRC President Tienchay Keeranant received the petition, which asks for reforms that take into account the rights of local ethnic and indigenous people in the country.

With many tribesmen without citizenship, basic rights are overlooked, among them shelter and medical treatment.

In addition, the tourism industry has pushed many villagers out of their ancestral lands. They have thus petitioned the NRC to address the problem of statelessness, to ensure equal protection under the law as well as protecting them from land encroachment.

In a separate event, Tienchay also received a petition from the network for the reinstatement of Thai citizenship, which has urged the government to reform the country's policy in dealing with stateless individuals and the process of granting citizenship to exiled Thais.

Because certain ethnic Thais live in exile between country borders, they have never been granted Thai citizenship.

The government has 30,000 documented cases of such individuals and only 2,000 of them have been granted citizenship so far. The network has urged the Ministry of the Interior to spare no efforts expediting the remaining cases, especially in the provinces of Prachuap Khiri Khan, Ranong, Rayong, Chumphon and Trat.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ethnic-groups-stateless-ask-NRC-to-consider-their--30247931.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-17

If the junta are happy to overlook the basic rights of Thai citizens I wouldn`t hold out much hope for some stateless tribesmen.

In this day and age it`s amazing this situation still exists, and yes before the usual 6 posters point it out, the previous government were equally as culpable in this travesty.

• Like 1

If the junta are happy to overlook the basic rights of Thai citizens I wouldn`t hold out much hope for some stateless tribesmen.

In this day and age it`s amazing this situation still exists, and yes before the usual 6 posters point it out, the previous government were equally as culpable in this travesty.

Why single out only the 'previous government'? As far as I know at least for the last 20 odd years nothing was really done for stateless Ethnic groups in Thailand (haven't been here longer than that), apart from 'assurances' that something not only needed to be done, but was being planned to be done real soon now.

Why single out only the 'previous government'?

Because you and about half a dozen other posters are completely obsessed with them and their incompetence. Any attempt to point out the current farcical situation in Thailand is usually followed by you, Gingag and about 4 other posters saying "yeah yeah but what did PTP do, little man in Dubai etc"

The problem (quite obviously considering these are indigenous groups) goes back alot longer than 20 years!

Why single out only the 'previous government'?

Because you and about half a dozen other posters are completely obsessed with them and their incompetence. Any attempt to point out the current farcical situation in Thailand is usually followed by you, Gingag and about 4 other posters saying "yeah yeah but what did PTP do, little man in Dubai etc"

The problem (quite obviously considering these are indigenous groups) goes back alot longer than 20 years!

Ah, so when you start with a insinuation (Junta happy to overlook basic right of Thai, so you have no hope for some stateless tribes people) following with it being amazing this still exists, you implicitly agree that this is nothing new for either previous government or for what it matters any government Thailand had.

You still seem to feel a need though to mention the previous government because of what you think others may or may not write rather than it having any real relevance to the topic.

BTW I only wrote at least the last 20 years, because those are the only years I've lived and worked here which you could have concluded from my "haven't been here longer than that". I wouldn't be surprised if goes way back, but then I'd have to do some research plus we get easily distracted with some European history from more than 20 years ago like involving the 'Gypsies (an equally unsolved issue)..