Turkey Time is coming

bazmlb

Turkey Time Lets See

I have an oven with rotisserie. I buy the Breast Loaf from butterball and slowly rotisserie the Turkey. Before hand I have a dry rub of Garlic and mixed seasoning without salt.

I don't add additional salt ans BB has already laden it with salt . The rub is great Its Macormicks "Perfect Pinch " Garlic and Herbs Salt Free

Outside the American community, Thanksgiving doesn't have much resonance here. Heck, I'm an American and I don't observe it. Just another day.

We use to have Turkey as a treat for Christmas lunch in Australia at home, hence the reason I posted it ass it may appeal to many in different ways, if you don't mind the date you eat and still want to enjoy a good turkey wait till after everyone celebrates and Makro (and Others) have some great specials to offload all the unsold stock.

The little Makro on Pattaya Nua had a few birds on hand at 155 baht a kilo. I bought a 13 pounder for 930 baht so the Christmas bird is in-house. Seems like I paid a lot more than that last year or abour 1,500 baht for the same size. They only had a dozen or so left.

I break out the Webber and sack of charcoal. Take a ten pound bird rub butter inside and outside Throw fresh rosemary in cavity And clove of garlic. Take aluminum pan shape it to fit under turkey pile 60 charcoals 30 each side of drip pan light them. Place bird over drip pan on grill replace top. after 1/12 hours add 15 charcoals to each side of drip pan. put lid back on another 1/12 hours Remove bird perfectly cooked turkey every time. The stuffing I do in oven. The stuffing is a bit harder but have a bud who flies for United Airlines call have him bring some sour dough french bread from San Francisco. Then slice it length wise thin bake in oven till dry and cube it. Mix chicken broth, herbs, onions, celery and crushed garlic with the now dried cubed sour dough bread bake in oven always take some and fry it for myself with butter. slice up some canned cranberry jell. Fresh greenbeans dried onion rings chopped up can of creme of mushroom soup mix together and heat up. Sometimes mashed potatoes and turkey gravy but always have turkey gravy. Big wash tub metal type filled with beer and ice chilling. Invite a few knucklehead friends over to enjoy . Oh almost forgot the Pumpkin pie and whipped creme, Maybe an apple pie if I get the urge all home made by me and fresh. Then flip on the tube And see if I can get a football game on Raiders and whoever. Then the best eat drink beer burp and fart while eating and watching the game. Happy Turkey Day All.

Edited by Strangebrew
  • Like 1

I deep fry mine.

I brought a simple deep fryer and source peanut oil regionally.

I have a secured outdoor location where I do this.

This would be my second time and last year it turned out very good... So knock on wood for a repeat.

Most of the sides dishes I buy locally as I just don't have the time, or the skills set, do it myself with any assurance on the degree of the level of edible outcome.

Outside the American community, Thanksgiving doesn't have much resonance here. Heck, I'm an American and I don't observe it. Just another day.

I must agree with Gary on his first statement. However, I do try to celebrate. In my current situation I cannot cook my own meal so I am looking for a place on Samui that is catering to what few Americans there might be here. Anyone know if a place?

Thanksgiving..... I double down no matter where I am and celebrate both Canadian and American thanksgiving.

Turkey three times a year. Canadian and American thanksgiving and again at Christmas. The rest of the year the bird is chicken. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

If you want to try something different try this. Prepare the day before as it takes some time to do it. You need three birds; one turkey (large), one duck and one chicken. Bone all three birds, this takes time but worth it. Once boned remove the skin from the duck and the chicken. Place the duck inside the turkey and then the chicken inside the duck. Finally place your favourite stuffing(s) inside the chicken. I normally use a sage and onion stuffing and a chestnut and ham stuffing. Finally sew up the turkey around everything. Once sewn up it will have the appearance somewhat like a headless baby.Cover the whole bird with bacon. Roast in the oven. I normally use the slow roasting method as I think it retains more moisture. When serving carve across the bird so that every slice contains a bit of everything. You will find that instead of the turkey being dry and almost inedible it will be moist and succulent.

As this takes time to prepare I only do it once per year at Christmas. You will find that after Christmas the turkey slices are excellent in sandwiches as well.

Edited by ResandePohm

If you want to try something different try this. Prepare the day before as it takes some time to do it. You need three birds; one turkey (large), one duck and one chicken. Bone all three birds, this takes time but worth it. Once boned remove the skin from the duck and the chicken. Place the duck inside the turkey and then the chicken inside the duck. Finally place your favourite stuffing(s) inside the chicken. I normally use a sage and onion stuffing and a chestnut and ham stuffing. Finally sew up the turkey around everything. Once sewn up it will have the appearance somewhat like a headless baby.Cover the whole bird with bacon. Roast in the oven. I normally use the slow roasting method as I think it retains more moisture. When serving carve across the bird so that every slice contains a bit of everything. You will find that instead of the turkey being dry and almost inedible it will be moist and succulent.

As this takes time to prepare I only do it once per year at Christmas. You will find that after Christmas the turkey slices are excellent in sandwiches as well.

A John Madden special, Truducken with six legs, always eaten in his motor home after the Thanksgiving day American football game!

Edited by wayned

I deep fry mine.

I brought a simple deep fryer and source peanut oil regionally.

I have a secured outdoor location where I do this.

This would be my second time and last year it turned out very good... So knock on wood for a repeat.

Most of the sides dishes I buy locally as I just don't have the time, or the skills set, do it myself with any assurance on the degree of the level of edible outcome.

Where do you find peanut oil in Thailand? I've looked but wound up using Mazola which has a high smoke point

• 2 months later...

I want to bump this topic and ask the same question.

Where can you find peanut oil? I have several people looking in the Pattaya and Rayong stores and no one can find this. Tesco Thailand did have it back last year as I bought 2ea one liter bottles at the Rayong super center. Now they do not have it. Thier online shop showed it in stock also. But now they no longer list this on the site. Several folks have reported that Friendship and Foodland in Pattaya carry it but no one can find it.

I have tried web surfing and I found a factory in the Bangkok area that makes the exact brand I purchased at Tesco but no contact info for the place to inquire who is a retailer in Thailand.

Some folks also have looked in Villa and Makro with no luck

I also will resort to Mazola corn oil until a source of peanut oil is found

• 3 weeks later...

After two years of searching for peanut oil I recently found it at villa ari, but I bought the only two bottles they had and there's no way to know if they've restocked. They were pint bottles, such as you might keep in your cupboard for daily use. Not the one liter jugs.

Peanut oil is great for seasoning cast iron skillets & griddles.

Edited by attrayant

I see on the Villa Market website they stock Crisco brand peanut oil in a 750 ml size for 445B. Site does not say what stores have this in stock though. Closet for me is Pattaya so I need to ask a local friend in Patters to check what they actually have. Very expensive compared to other oils. Not sure why.

There is probably a high import duty on specialty oils, which are seen as either a luxury item or just frivolous. Palm oil is the favorite here, and anything coming across the border that competes with it is taxed at a high rate. We know that palm oil can't be used for everything, but customs either doesn't know that or doesn't care. I'm actually quite surprised that olive oil is so easy to find here.

I've also had a hard time finding mineral oil or food-grade linseed oil to seal my cutting boards. Salespeople in department stores (where the nice, high-end cutting boards are sold) tell me to just use vegetable oil, which would turn rancid very quickly.

Update on the peanut oil.

I sent an email to Villa Markets head office and they replied today saying the Pattaya store does indeed carry the oil in question. A local friend made a grocery run there this morning and purchased 2ea 750ml bottles for me at the 445 Baht ea price. I now have more than a year's supply if I only use to make my popcorn.

Knowing that Villa carries a product today is good but will they have it again when they run out? Yet to be seen.

Side note the Crisco Peanut oil label says the product is bottled in Singapore from imported ingredients