Over 700 motorcyclists arrested and fined in first day of crackdown on footpath riding

Lite Beer

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they say "arrested and fined" that means both actions occurred; I think the article meant to say "arrested or fined." Just can't see them arresting 700 motorcyclists because they were riding on footpaths; fining them yes, but arresting them no. But hey, saying arrested makes it sound tough!!!

Arrest / Detained ... translation issue. Thai PBS often uses the word arrest for what we wouldn't consider arrested.

How did they manage to ride on the footpaths? Whenever I try there are too many vendors, cars, lampposts and other crap to even walk, let alone ride, on them. tongue.png

aah - when I find myself riding on the footpath, it's usually because the street is cluttered with vendors, pushcarts and other miscellaneous sidecar riffraff, not to mention tour bus sized coaches and idiot drivers positioned like checkers in order to block any motorcycle passage...

there are many other things which should be much higher on the list of priorities.

Just wondering. Don't you feel it's dangerous when you ride your bike on the footpaths that in many cases are already not wide enough for pedestrians?

When I do this, there are no pedestrians in sight - I'd never do it if the footpath was being used by pedestrians.

But I'm not in Bangkok. A good example is Pattaya Tai road coming from Sukh before the junction with third road. At times, the road is blocked, but the sidewalks have absolutely no traffic from approx. the Shell station until the small soi before the intersection, because there aren't a lot of buildings there.

I'm also unsure why they recently banned the turn left on red at many Pattaya corners, at least for 2 wheel vehicles.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 2

How did they manage to ride on the footpaths? Whenever I try there are too many vendors, cars, lampposts and other crap to even walk, let alone ride, on them. tongue.png

aah - when I find myself riding on the footpath, it's usually because the street is cluttered with vendors, pushcarts and other miscellaneous sidecar riffraff, not to mention tour bus sized coaches and idiot drivers positioned like checkers in order to block any motorcycle passage...

there are many other things which should be much higher on the list of priorities.

Just wondering. Don't you feel it's dangerous when you ride your bike on the footpaths that in many cases are already not wide enough for pedestrians?

When I do this, there are no pedestrians in sight - I'd never do it if the footpath was being used by pedestrians.

But I'm not in Bangkok. A good example is Pattaya Tai road coming from Sukh before the junction with third road. At times, the road is blocked, but the sidewalks have absolutely no traffic from approx. the Shell station until the small soi before the intersection, because there aren't a lot of buildings there.

I'm also unsure why they recently banned the turn left on red at many Pattaya corners, at least for 2 wheel vehicles.

creating clearway zones (strict no parking) at peak times on major roads and enforcing might negate the need for the footpath option especially in Pattaya were forward planning was non existent and the roads are now too narrow - people take up 1/3 of the road with parking where and when they feel like it, maybe time to introduce traffic wardens and a ticketing system once they have identified all the no parking zones and times coupled with city parking areas were they can charge for parking - sorry dreaming again

Thais are generally lazy, I've seen them double parked on major routes even when there are spaces 10 meters away

• Like 2

When they say "arrested and fined" that means both actions occurred; I think the article meant to say "arrested or fined." Just can't see them arresting 700 motorcyclists because they were riding on footpaths; fining them yes, but arresting them no. But hey, saying arrested makes it sound tough!!!

And when they say “Violators will face a fine ranging from 400 to 1,000 baht” I think the article meant to say “Violators will face a fine ranging from 400 Baht for Thai’s and up to 1,000 Baht for the farang that we tolerate in our country”.

• Like 2

"I'm also unsure why they recently banned the turn left on red at many Pattaya corners, at least for 2 wheel vehicles." Watch out for that! 'Left turn on Red light' doesn't mean you can make a left turn when the light is red! Someone on another forum explained that there are 2 signs and it's the other one which allows you to turn left on red. The diffrence is the wording and the colour of writing. 'Left turn on Red light' has red on it. Red and black writing on white back ground.

• Like 1

I had to re-read this several times.....for the last 15 years I've been waiting for police to do their jobs and stop bikers riding on the walkways and footpaths......has this really happened?

Don't get too excited, 'Crackdowns' normally last about 48 hours tops !

Yes, all that money burning a hole in their pockets, time to go shopping! :D

Yes they should have separate motorcycle lanes, that way the motorcyclists can have their stupid and unnecessary (due to ignorance of basic driving safely) accidents all by themselves in their own lane without involving cars or pedestrians.

In fact where I live outside BKK in our industrial estate we have some motorcycle lanes inside the industrial estate and there are always these accidents among the motorcyclists. Most of these accidents happens because the drivers are looking at everything except the road or traffic, such as waving happily to a friend across the road and careening out into the traffic at the same time, or looking at the exhaust pipe, or chatting with one of the 5 passengers on the bike...etc..etc....

• Like 2