What's the cost of getting married?

thaichalina

I think you are confusing the requirement of having 400k baht
in the bank to get a 1yr visa extension based on marriage to a Thai with the actual act/cost of getting married?

Getting married does not cost anything....per se'....I do not remember the exact amount of the small fee at the ampur to register it

but it was tiny...like say less than 100 baht. No money is required to get married

Money is required to be shown in your savings for a 1 year visa extension based on marriage to a Thai & yes it is 400k baht

But that is to satisfy the visa extension requirement not to get married.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

thaichalina

I recently got married to my thai wife in Bangkok, we used a tranlator to carry out the whole thing in one day. I payed him 9000 Bhat, then went to the Embassy where I handed in the forms and a fee of 3260 Bhat, I was then given the freedom to marry certificate which I then took back the translator agent, he then took us by taxi to the registry office 20 mins, where we were officially married. the whole thing cost 14000 Bhat and we were back in the hotel by 12:30 that afternoon. we were at the embassy 07:30, 30 mins before it opened, about 40 mins in there before going back to agents shop. There are many translators/agents near the embassy, plenty to choose from.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

thaichalina

I recently got married to my thai wife in Bangkok, we used a tranlator to carry out the whole thing in one day. I payed him 9000 Bhat, then went to the Embassy where I handed in the forms and a fee of 3260 Bhat, I was then given the freedom to marry certificate which I then took back the translator agent, he then took us by taxi to the registry office 20 mins, where we were officially married. the whole thing cost 14000 Bhat and we were back in the hotel by 12:30 that afternoon. we were at the embassy 07:30, 30 mins before it opened, about 40 mins in there before going back to agents shop. There are many translators/agents near the embassy, plenty to choose from.

Hope this helps

Good days pay for the translator, fees 1100 baht ish - profit 7900 baht

• Like 2

steve 187, absolutely, good days pay. To be fair it was worth it, no hanging about and getting lost here & there, the guy done a good job and knew what I needed, kept us right & had us all done in less than 5hrs. Obviously there are cheaper methods, and if you happen to be clued up with the process and where to go, what to do, even better, that was a luxury we didn't have. We were delighted with the way everything went so well, worth the cost. If he can make a profit like that then good on him, quality service. :-)

• Like 1

Affirmation at your embassy; UK was 3700 Baht or thereabouts

Translation of above, 600 Baht maximum

MFA fees 800 Baht for same-day service

Fee at amphur 200 Baht

Various photocopies 100 Baht

Plus 20,000 baht for photos 3 weeks before the marriage and hire of wedding suits and dresses.

200,000 baht on the day for caterers and food, whisky, beer, soft drink, musicians and singers, hire of marquees, decorations around the house, small gift for guests etc.

(But you get a lot of it back when the guests hand in their envelopes wacko.png )

post-84560-0-53429500-1416561266_thumb.j

post-84560-0-88783800-1416561273_thumb.j

post-84560-0-00539900-1416561283_thumb.j

• Like 2

thaichalina

Hope this helps

Good days pay for the translator, fees 1100 baht ish - profit 7900 baht

Yeah, but he/she probably only gets a job like this once every couple of months or so. When my second wife and I got married there was a translator just down the street from the American Embassy that charged us 500 for the whole package, I think three pages. Maybe that's why they're out of business now.

• Like 1

You have already the answer. It´s not expensive to get married.

But to get a balance about many replys about how greedy and terrible Thai girls are.

I´ve been happily married with a Thai woman for almost 10 years, from day one she bring more money to the household than she spend.

We live in Sweden but we spend about 3 month in Thailand every winter,

In Sweden she pay all food, all cloth, everything for the household, sometimes gasoline for the car,

she even payed half when we bought the Lexus car that we have now.

I use to pay the airplanetickets and then when we´re in Thailand she pay everything.

She pay for domestic flights. We use to stay a couple of weeks in hotels and the rest of the time we spend in her house in Isaan.,

I don´t use my Visacard one single time

It´s a beautiful house that she built with money that she earn herself in Sweden.

She work in a greenhouse 7 month a year, but she make money on many things, fishing, mushrooms, growing vegetables (she sell to supermarket).

She take care of peoples summerhouse, when they´r not there.

We met in a bar in Jomtien, where she did work at the time.

So, things are not black or white, there are good and bad people everywere.

English is not "my" language hope you can read and understand.

You obviously married the right lady. Well done

• Like 1

You have already the answer. It´s not expensive to get married.

But to get a balance about many replys about how greedy and terrible Thai girls are.

I´ve been happily married with a Thai woman for almost 10 years, from day one she bring more money to the household than she spend.

We live in Sweden but we spend about 3 month in Thailand every winter,

In Sweden she pay all food, all cloth, everything for the household, sometimes gasoline for the car,

she even payed half when we bought the Lexus car that we have now.

I use to pay the airplanetickets and then when we´re in Thailand she pay everything.

She pay for domestic flights. We use to stay a couple of weeks in hotels and the rest of the time we spend in her house in Isaan.,

I don´t use my Visacard one single time

It´s a beautiful house that she built with money that she earn herself in Sweden.

She work in a greenhouse 7 month a year, but she make money on many things, fishing, mushrooms, growing vegetables (she sell to supermarket).

She take care of peoples summerhouse, when they´r not there.

We met in a bar in Jomtien, where she did work at the time.

So, things are not black or white, there are good and bad people everywere.

English is not "my" language hope you can read and understand.

Great post. I enjoyed reading it. Have you ever been to Stampens in Stockholm?

• Like 1

Fee at amphur 200 Baht

Plus 20,000 baht for photos 3 weeks before the marriage and hire of wedding suits and dresses.

200,000 baht on the day for caterers and food, whisky, beer, soft drink, musicians and singers, hire of marquees, decorations around the house, small gift for guests etc.

(But you get a lot of it back when the guests hand in their envelopes wacko.png )

Ahh they told you you'd get most of it back in the envelopes too huh ? :-(

Got married to a very nice 58 Yo Thai health practitioner lady last year and very happy, but we do have an occasional argument due to cultural differences, and she had her own house (lucky for me). We did it thru a BKK lawyer because of the problems with the Aussie Govt who also very unethically cut my single pension rate back on the assumption that my wife was still working. I have just won a 9-month legal battle to get it back, but "Aussies Beware" you are dealing with legalised crooks......

• Like 2

Cost my wife and I 40 Baht for the license at the office, took about two hours of time.

I never gave my wife's family money. My wife's mom does live with us, but she asks for nothing. She helps take care of our young kids and she is a very kind and humble woman. When I want to spend money on her out of gratitude, she always says no.

My wife is a lot like her mom, very good at saving and is more concerned about our kids future than buying junk.

When we first started dating I was sure not to give her any sort of allowance. She worked 6 days a week answering phones and made about 4,000 baht per month at the time. She may have grown up dirt poor, but she is honest and hard working and together we are building a good life.

You do have to be careful. If your relationship involves some sort of allowance, that trend will probably continue. Pick wisely.

The cost of a marriage is a bit like owning a Rolls Royce.

If you need to ask how much it costs, then you can't afford it!

Seriously though, you have not given any details of your circumstances.

Age, working or not etc. if you only want to be in a legal marriage that is recognised world wide or in a romantic Buddhist marriage which has no legal standing or both.

Do you intend to stay in Thailand or take the new bride back to your home country?

For the legal marriage, In the town hall ceremony you will be asked if there is any property to be recorded.

Here you may list a condo that you own before the marriage, if it is written into your marriage cert, in any future divorce, your wife will have no claim on it. She will have 50% of everything that you jointly put into the relationship from the day of marriage.

The most extravagant price for a town hall legal only wedding would be 30,000 baht.

That would cover a couple of nights in a hotel

Loads of taxis

Affirmation of freedom to marry

Translation

Validation at the min of foreign affairs

Provision of a translator and witnesses

The cost of the actual marriage

A nice pink folder to keep both certificates and associated papers in

The agents fee

Don't forget to have the cert and paper translated into your home language for use at home.

The agent should have included that in his fee.

Best ask the agent for a check list of what is included in his fee and what additions you may need.

(You may find this the above a useful check list)

When we got married I didn't ask for a list and I didn't know the ropes.

The guy that was assigned to take us to the Amphor acted as translator but he ripped me off for the baht for the ceremony, why do I think it was more like 200 baht?

He then went on to scam me a further 2,000 baht for the translation of the cert into English and postage to our home.

As another poster has said, I did not begrudge the money, it made it easy.

In fact after our meeting with the agent, we went to lunch at a nice restaurant in the building while they did the running about.

I was on my coffee when the assistant arrived to take us to the Amphor.

If you choose to add the romantic Monk job, the sky's the limit.

If your lady has not been married before, you may have to offer a dowry, you may or may not get it back, depends on her family.

If you decide after the legal marriage to take her back to your home country as a family member she will have many hoops to jump through. These hoops are not that expensive but can take quite a time.

Your embassy (or the embassy of the country you intend to go to) will advise you of their requirements.

If she is required to get a police clearance certificate and a health certificate.

If Bangkok is near, go to the DSI office for the clearance cert, it takes a min of three weeks.

On the same day, go to the police hospital, nearby, for the health check.

They know the required format because it most probably needs some specific checks and words about conforming with WHO etc.

Just sayin........

I wish you all the very best and if you are lucky enough to have found a Gal like mine (one in a million!) then you will live happily ever after.

• Like 1

The procedure was free at the amphur office.

Wife suggested I tip the lady so I gave her 300 baht.

SINCE then...I'd be better off with 7 short time girlfriends 7 days a week, financially.

While the above is true, I wouldn't trade her for anything. Been married 13 years. (14 years with her overall), I got LUCKY!

She's 40, almost 41 & still looks like she's 27 and still treats me like gold (as that's what I am - in more ways than one) to her.

I'm Goldfinger, Goldmember, The Man With the Golden Gun, The Golden Goose etc... & a nice guy to her as well.

• Like 2

Cost:

Three buffaloes, a new house for the mother-in-law, as many tvs as can fill the new house, a pickup truck, several gold bars, a cuddly toy and a toaster.

I can tell you aren't married! Of course it should be a rice-cooker not a toaster...tch tch... :D

• Like 1

On this topic I am reading so much negative feedback! I suppose you all have had a bad experience, a wrong choice, misled or fooled? Maybe jumped in too fast and never really knew what you were getting into?

Tell us about it then, don't just come out with a cryptic comment.

My wife and I have been together living together for 2 years before tying the knot, hopefully this has been long enough for both of us to know each other and make the right decision, time will tell I suppose, all good so far biggrin.png

• Like 1

An ARM and a LEG!

... you were Lucky - I had to give my balls for safe keeping!!

...YOU were Lucky - I had to buy her family a house each!!!

... You WERE Lucky - I had to give my entire salary every month, AAaaaand live int Cow shed!!!!

... you were LUCKY ...

Why? You didnt HAVE to do anything, it was your choice! Were you held to ransom? Or gun pointed at your head? You appear to be very weak if you HAD to do this!!

Edited by Sploosh66

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Fee at amphur 200 Baht

Thanks for that information - very helpful as I'll be requesting the approrpriate affirmation from the British Embassy next year. We'll probably get married at the amphor office in Pattaya (we live in Jomtien) or in Ban Chang where some of my girlfriend's family live. How far in advance can we obtain the affirmation of marriage?

There will them be a Buddhist type ceremony in either Ban Chang or Rayong.

Alan

• Like 1

A quantity of negative/poor humor/bad taste and generally unhelpful posts removed.

Totally agree, too much negativity to a valid request, makes me wonder if these negative people really have a life, or sit on the PC talking drivel, maybe one of the reasons they failed in marriage.

• Like 1