Question about my bike lease

revgreen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Phetchabun.

The 250s are lightly used (500-1k km), by the price is great. The others are all new. Tempted by the 250 price but I worry it won't be enough bike.

If you cruise around at 110-120 kmh the Cbr250 is a great bike BUT I would get one of the Honda 500's or a Kawasaki Er6/ ninja 650. If you want more spirited riding!

The 250 will top out about 150kmh but that's ragging it's nuts off its happier about 130ish the 500's are cruising at 150 and top out about 180 (I think)

I live in Phetchabun.

The 250s are lightly used (500-1k km), by the price is great. The others are all new. Tempted by the 250 price but I worry it won't be enough bike.

If you cruise around at 110-120 kmh the Cbr250 is a great bike BUT I would get one of the Honda 500's or a Kawasaki Er6/ ninja 650. If you want more spirited riding!

The 250 will top out about 150kmh but that's ragging it's nuts off its happier about 130ish the 500's are cruising at 150 and top out about 180 (I think)

The bulk of my riding is around town, with an occasional long ride through the mountains on the weekend, and on even rarer occasions an extended trip (5+ hours). So I was originally drawn to the 250 because it was cheap, small, and nimble around the city (from what I had read anyway).

500 would be brilliant for the longer rides, it's just a matter of do I actually take those often enough to merit the extra power. The more I think about it the more I want the 500..

Get the Ninja 300 or the CBR 500. Speed wise they are very similar, with the Honda just edging it. Ninja more of a sports bike and the Honda more of a sports/cruiser. Looks wise, well that's up to you. The Ninja is about 20,000Baht cheaper. You are right about the tyres for both bikes, so maybe the Ninja and use the extra money for tyres and better protective gear. Depends on your budget really.

Get the Ninja 300 or the CBR 500. Speed wise they are very similar, with the Honda just edging it. Ninja more of a sports bike and the Honda more of a sports/cruiser. Looks wise, well that's up to you. The Ninja is about 20,000Baht cheaper. You are right about the tyres for both bikes, so maybe the Ninja and use the extra money for tyres and better protective gear. Depends on your budget really.

Protective gear? So far I've only seen one guy around Pattaya wearing armour and he looked very hot.

Probably gonna go for the CBR - save a bit of money, plus I've owned one before so I know I'll enjoy the ride.

Replace the stock tires and I'll be good to go. Already set on gear (though it may be time for some new gloves).

Nice to hear they will trade you out of the lease. Chok Dee!!!!!!!!! The 500 CBR has your name all over it. the 250 although faster it isn't a behemoth of power over the Phantom & you might get sick of the power range quickly. The 500 will give you a nice ride if your going distance & pretty nimble in traffic too! If you get the 250 I wonder if they would trade you up again if you wanted more bike?

I originally thought I wanted a 250 & bought a great Kawasaki 650 ER6n (Naked Ninja) & love it.

And I think most stock tires on the common production bikes will suck. Dunlop Roadmasters are only good for tires stacked up at a go cart place or a racetrack around the track.

Yea I am worried that if I do opt for the 250 they won't want to swap again if I get tired of it in a few months. So I need to make this one actually count. I've got good rapport with them and can usually get a good deal on parts/gear/whatever, so I'd like to keep it that way.

I've been watching videos/reading about the Ninja bikes and they seem pretty appealing.. the only thing stopping me is from what I can tell it looks like the Ninja is a bit sportier, while the CBR is more practical for my weekday commuting/weekend joy rides.

Which brings up another question...

anyone with experience shipping a bike overseas? (to USA particularly). If it doesn't cost a small fortune then I'd be more apt to spend the money on a bigger bike. That's only if buying/shipping home (whenever I go back) is cheaper/equal to buying a bike back home.

Well... I went to look again today. They just got a Ninja 300 SE w/ABS (orange color) in stock now. Sat on it and fell in love. Not sure what kind of deal I can work out with the Phantom trade, but I'm gonna find out on Monday.

FYI

My Ninja 300 top speed 181 km/h. Power wise, speed wise, comfort wise, etc... it beats my Yamaha Dragstar 400 hands down. It will be a big step up from 200 Phantom.

Regarding CBR vs Ninja - sit on both and see how they feel. I tried CBR and found it uncomfortable. Ninja is classified as a sports cruiser, it gives you a more upright position than the CBR. IMHO

FYI

My Ninja 300 top speed 181 km/h. Power wise, speed wise, comfort wise, etc... it beats my Yamaha Dragstar 400 hands down. It will be a big step up from 200 Phantom.

Regarding CBR vs Ninja - sit on both and see how they feel. I tried CBR and found it uncomfortable. Ninja is classified as a sports cruiser, it gives you a more upright position than the CBR. IMHO

Really? I thought exactly the opposite. Cbr250 against Ninja 250.

Yeah I've read/watched a lot on the Ninja 300 the past couple days. Seems to be a nice comprise between the 250 and 500 given my budget. They also have a Ninja 250, but it's not really a better deal than the CBR 250 or the Ninja 300.

I've sat on both. Neither really stood out as "far more comfortable" - the seat on the CBR was definitely softer, but the Ninja felt a bit less cramped (I'm somewhere in the 6'1" - 6'2" range). But I agree with casual - the CBR felt more geared toward touring while the Ninja felt a bit 'sportier' (if that makes sense). Neither is a huge plus/minus as I can see the pros and cons of each style. I don't do a whole lot of extended rides, I am a daily commuter and on the weekends I will usually take a trip through Khao Khao or some twisties close to me, and on a semi-rare occasion I'll do an extended trip.

FYI

I said IMHO (in my humble opinion). :)

With CBR however there are R, F and X models. While the first 2 are the same bikes technically (F is a naked), the X model is quite different and will be better suited for longer and more comfortable rides.

When I tried Ninja 300 and CBR 250R, Ninja was more comfortable for me. Ninja felt like the handlebars were a little taller and closer to me and there wasn't that much pressure on hands when sitting on the bike.

And another thing - while sitting on CBR in the riding position, I felt very uncomfortable pressure on my jewels. :P Ninja was my 1st sports bike so I wasn't brand biased, I chose what felt better for me and I don't regret.

I also own a Yamaha 400 Dragstar, which is a fine bike for a short runs, and I still own a Yamaha WR450F in Canada, so if anything, I'd have been more inclined buying another Yamaha.

• Like 1

FYI

I said IMHO (in my humble opinion). :)

With CBR however there are R, F and X models. While the first 2 are the same bikes technically (F is a naked), the X model is quite different and will be better suited for longer and more comfortable rides.

When I tried Ninja 300 and CBR 250R, Ninja was more comfortable for me. Ninja felt like the handlebars were a little taller and closer to me and there wasn't that much pressure on hands when sitting on the bike.

And another thing - while sitting on CBR in the riding position, I felt very uncomfortable pressure on my jewels. :P Ninja was my 1st sports bike so I wasn't brand biased, I chose what felt better for me and I don't regret.

I also own a Yamaha 400 Dragstar, which is a fine bike for a short runs, and I still own a Yamaha WR450F in Canada, so if anything, I'd have been more inclined buying another Yamaha.

Ahhhh you were talking about the Ninja 300 against the Honda 500's. Ok then.

By the way impressive nads.!!!

• Like 1

Bah - not enough power. Especially after hyping myself on the Ninja 300.

They're willing to negotiate on a Ninja 250, but still.. I'd rather not ride than 'settle' for something. It's one of those things where I just know I'll be comparing it so much that I won't enjoy it.

They're willing to negotiate on a Ninja 250, but still.. I'd rather not ride than 'settle' for something. It's one of those things where I just know I'll be comparing it so much that I won't enjoy it.

Fair enough. You keeping the phantom then?

Fair enough. You keeping the phantom then?

Nah. I've grown to hate everything about the Phantom. Glad to wash my hands of the thing.

Well they just called a bit ago and said they're getting a Ninja 250 in that they can sell for close to my price range. I know the 250 has a carb and FI model, if it's FI I may pull the trigger, but I don't want to have another carb'd bike.

• Like 1

Nope, I wouldn't get a carbed bike either when everything else is the FI.

How much do they want for the Ninja 300? What's your budget? Have you ended up owing for the Phantom or got our with some $$$ in your pocket? Maybe better to look at the private sellers? I don't know your situation but that would save you done cash I believe. You can always find a cheaper / better deal with private sellers.

Nope, I wouldn't get a carbed bike either when everything else is the FI.

How much do they want for the Ninja 300? What's your budget? Have you ended up owing for the Phantom or got our with some $$$ in your pocket? Maybe better to look at the private sellers? I don't know your situation but that would save you done cash I believe. You can always find a cheaper / better deal with private sellers.

300 is 165k. They want 50 or 60k down.

I don't owe on the Phantom. I can either trade it and come out with 10k to put toward the down payment, OR I can attempt to sell it privately and come out about 15-20(if I'm very lucky) k ahead. Selling it privately is going to be near impossible, so I'll probably just trade it at the dealer and chalk the 5k left on the table as a lesson learned.

The current Ninja 250 they have (FI model) is 140 k. They want 40 or 50 down on that. They also have some Z250s at the same price as this, but I don't like the naked style of those.

Not sure what the difference is in the 250 he's getting tomorrow is, he said it was the same engine, but different body. Which I'm assuming means older model which also means carb.

A private seller would be good, but I definitely don't have that kind of money to throw down at once.

Whoa - you weren't kidding though. Just browsed some classifieds out of curiosity and it looks like I could get a Ninja 650 for close to the price of the 300

Yeah, the 2nd hand market prices came down a lot recently, no point of buying a 2nd hand from a dealer as they pay cheap for their bikes and still need to make profit.

Whoa - you weren't kidding though. Just browsed some classifieds out of curiosity and it looks like I could get a Ninja 650 for close to the price of the 300

Yeah, the 2nd hand market prices came down a lot recently, no point of buying a 2nd hand from a dealer as they pay cheap for their bikes and still need to make profit.

Sadly I just can't afford ~160k at once, otherwise I'd be on my way now to check those out. If circumstances change I'll jump on it, otherwise I gotta go without wheels or go through the dealer.