I don't reject an overstay customer at the hotel:did i do the wrong thing?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you should have a closer look at the form TM.30, too. Nowhere on this for, nor in any law, regulation or other rule, does it say that a hotel is not allowed to check in a foreigner whose permission to stay has expired.

Maestro,this i now:maybe i just think about a problem that is not real...but,and i repeat,my only concern is the trouble i can get in if the police stop him and the consequences for me and the company.

Get him busted, arrested and deported.

It will keep all the sanctimonious creeps on here happy and screw up some bodies life, which is what they want.

You will have the satisfaction that keeps you warm at night. and you will feel much better, knowing that he is in a cell somewhere.

Alternatively, take his wife's ID for booking purposes or his driving licence.

We are all guests here.................

Agreed!...Well said.

Maestro,this i now:maybe i just think about a problem that is not real...but,and i repeat,my only concern is the trouble i can get in if the police stop him and the consequences for me and the company.

You can be fined max 10.000 baht for not completed the T.M 30 form to immigrations.

I think the OP is concerned that her obligation to report the mans identity to immigration (by law) usually by copy of passport photo page might get him into trouble and if she doesn't report his identity might get her into trouble

so the simple answer is to do the report but make him aware that she is doing it and leave it up to him if he wants to stay there

PS I have not read all the posts on this thread as I would guess it's turned into another cock fight on TV with probably about 5 posts that actually offer constructive advise/opinion to the OP and the rest taken to the usual personal level slandering match that has become all to common on TVF

Edited by smedly

Last year I had was on a 60 day extension of my non-I visa.

I checked into a hotel in Bangkok, the receptionist checked my passport, looked at my TM7 and informed me I was on overstay.

I lifted my eyebrow and looked straight through her. As far as I know I don't have to justify any stamp to a hotel receptionist, only an immigration officer or policeman.

Are receptionists really qualified to check passports ?

What if that receptionist had phoned immigration and I got a visit ?

Are you payed and trained to do the job of an immigration officer ?

They are required to check passports. You are responsible you're fully legal, so if the receptionist had called immigration you could have had a problem.

I think you are wrong.

They are required to take an ID check.

A DL is quite acceptable.

They are required to report your presence.

They are NOT required to check the validity of your visa and actually, it may well be against the constitution ( if it were not suspended to the delight of some "members" on here) and illegal ,for them to do so, as they are not authorised officials of the State and have no right to do so or comment on your visa status.

It may be be that you could sue and win.

They are employees of a hotel.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Scaremongering is so strong here............

You may think so, but no, you're not correct.

Checking visa status is a different cup of tea, but passport is required, DL is not sufficient.

My only concern is if they stop him,and they know that he sleep here,can i get in trouble?Only that.I will never report him

Next time just take a copy of his passport details, and don,t rummage through the other pages.

No, not sufficient. The hotel is supposed to record and inform immigration of the expiry date of permission to stay.

Hotels and such are required to report.

Not reporting in the knowledge that someone is on overstay is another matter, than it can be

Section 64 :

Whoever know of any alien entering into the Kingdom in contravention of this Act, and

harbours, hides or in any manner assists said alien to evade arrest, shall be punished by imprisonment

not exceeding 5 years and a fine not exceeding 50,000 Baht.

Whoever allows an alien entering into the Kingdom in contravention of this Act, to stay with him, it

is first presumed that said person is aware that the alien concerned entered into the Kingdom in

contravention of this Act, unless it can be proved that he does not know, even though proper caution has

been exercised.

If the act committed under Para.1 of this Section is done in order to assist his father, mother,

child, husband or wife, the offender may not necessarily be punished by the Court.

Last year I had was on a 60 day extension of my non-I visa.

I checked into a hotel in Bangkok, the receptionist checked my passport, looked at my TM7 and informed me I was on overstay.

I lifted my eyebrow and looked straight through her. As far as I know I don't have to justify any stamp to a hotel receptionist, only an immigration officer or policeman.

Are receptionists really qualified to check passports ?

What if that receptionist had phoned immigration and I got a visit ?

Are you payed and trained to do the job of an immigration officer ?

They are required to check passports. You are responsible you're fully legal, so if the receptionist had called immigration you could have had a problem.

I think you are wrong.

They are NOT required to check the validity of your visa and actually, it may well be against the constitution ( if it were not suspended to the delight of some "members" on here) and illegal ,for them to do so, as they are not authorised officials of the State and have no right to do so or comment on your visa status.

Checking visa status is a different cup of tea, but passport is required, DL is not sufficient.

what a stupid comment !!

you can check in in any hotel in Thailand with Driver License, no passport required,

and passport number is on Thai Driver license anyway

hotel has only the right to make a copy of the main page of passport, they not allowed to do any other

copies

Discussion for nothing, overstay is not the hotel bussiness, you can even check in with a paper copy of passport,

all the TV ,members here who play police not use theit brain,

eveb police not check overstay, only Immigration!

or bike rentals, airlines, banks, and other branches have to check Visa Status also,

and Overstay is no crime even in Thailand! it is an offense, with a money fine!

And to tell the customer that he can get problem, I guess if 40 days on overstay he knows already that he is on overstay, so

no need to tell customer anything, Just make a copy of the 1 page and report same way like with every other customer.

I think you are wrong.

what a stupid comment !!

you can check in in any hotel in Thailand with Driver License, no passport required,

and passport number is on Thai Driver license anyway

hotel has only the right to make a copy of the main page of passport, they not allowed to do any other

copies

Please do some research before making comments like that.

You're wrong.

• Like 1

yea, you have no need or reason to even look at his visa or entrie stamp

Not true.

Every guesthouse/hotel has to report details of their foreign guests to immigration. In Phuket for example, there is an online system for reporting these details, which not only include the guest's name, age, gender, nationality, passport number, address, but also their full visa details, expiry date, type of visa etc etc.

My only concern is if they stop him,and they know that he sleep here,can i get in trouble?Only that.I will never report him

Next time just take a copy of his passport details, and don,t rummage through the other pages.

That was i was doing:but when i was checking him in he told me how to can clear his overstay and i took a look at the stamp.

Not true.

Every guesthouse/hotel has to report details of their foreign guests to immigration. In Phuket for example, there is an online system for reporting these details, which not only include the guest's name, age, gender, nationality, passport number, address, but also their full visa details, expiry date, type of visa etc etc.

so if you are so sure, we can bet,

I check in in any 5 star hotel in Phuket with my driver license, if yes you pay the room,

ok????

Not true.

so if you are so sure, we can bet,

I check in in any 5 star hotel in Phuket with my driver license, if yes you pay the room,

ok????

He and many others are sure about requirements. Are they always followed?

Your posts and your persistence here stating it is not required are ludicrous, with hotel owners and laws quoted stating otherwise.

Edited by stevenl

And to tell the customer that he can get problem, I guess if 40 days on overstay he knows already that he is on overstay, so

no need to tell customer anything, Just make a copy of the 1 page and report same way like with every other customer.

It is courteous for the receptionist to advise the customer that he is on overstay. If the receptionist has overlooked an extension, the guest can point it out so that the guest is not incorrectly recorded as being on overstay, with the problems that might cause. If the guest was not aware of being on overstay, e.g. because the immigration officer granted the wrong initial period of stay at the airport and the guest did not check, the guest will then know that there is a problem to sort out.
  • Like 2

What I don't understand is people saying they check in to a hotel with only their drivers license. Why not use your passport. You should have it with you unless you are foolish enough not to have with you.

I certainly would not be very far from where my passport is at if don't have it with me. I don't always have mine with me when I am around town here but it certainly would be with me if I was far enough away to be checking into a hotel.

I wouldn't want to sitting at a police station or in a cell waiting for somebody to get my passport and sending it to me after being asked for it by an authority.

What I don't understand is people saying they check in to a hotel with only their drivers license. Why not use your passport. You should have it with you unless you are foolish enough not to have with you.

I certainly would not be very far from where my passport is at if don't have it with me. I don't always have mine with me when I am around town here but it certainly would be with me if I was far enough away to be checking into a hotel.

I wouldn't want to sitting at a police station or in a cell waiting for somebody to get my passport and sending it to me after being asked for it by an authority.

Just put a tourist visa app to the UK in for the sister in-law.

Being a Lao national she now only has a photocopy with embassy stamps and a little piece of paper stapled to it just stating the process in English & Thai.

She'll be without her passport for approx 2 weeks & those stamps not being of the Thai Embassy I feel won't carry much weight with GI SomChai when we make our way down to Surat Thani.

Any idea if these stamps will suffice?

Being a Lao national she now only has a photocopy with embassy stamps and a little piece of paper stapled to it just stating the process in English & Thai.

She'll be without her passport for approx 2 weeks & those stamps not being of the Thai Embassy I feel won't carry much weight with GI SomChai when we make our way down to Surat Thani.

Having copies certified by the embassy with an explanation as to why she does not have passport will suffice. She should not have a problem.

Having copies certified by the embassy with an explanation as to why she does not have passport will suffice. She should not have a problem.
Thanks once again.

Mixed feelings on this one, opportunity to have a few days rest bite unavailable...

You can be fined max 10.000 baht for not completed the T.M 30 form to immigrations.

Must the TM30 be completed and submitted to Immigration when the guest checks in? Is it something that can be done the next day, etc?

The rules say within 24 hours. But I suspect immigration would be a little flexible. You can register with immigration and do them online. You would have to check with your local immigration office.

Info on immigration website; http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=alienstay

• Like 1