Non O visa Liverpool consulate

Non-Immigrant Visa category ‘O’ (£50 single entry / £125 multiple entry)

This type of visa is for:-

People visiting family – i.e. men who are married to a Thai National, along with your visa application you must produce your marriage certificate and a translation of the certificate is required as evidence. A single entry visa is valid for 90 days and can be extended for a further 30 days. A multiple entry visa is valid for 12 months conditional on leaving Thailand for 48 hours every 90 days.

This is taken from their web page.

My question is about leaving Thailand for 48 Hrs every 90 days.

What's all that about, is that correct?

A single cannot be extended by 30 days. But in case of marriage to a Thai or Thai child can be extended by 60 days.

A multiple requires you leave every 90 days, but you can come right back the same day. By leaving and re-entering just before the visa itself expires you can even get almost 15 months out of the visa.

I applied In September for a non-O multi entry.

Have to phone to make appointment. Show wedding certificate, copy and English translation, plus

photocopy of wife's ID card or passport.£125 plus £10 for same day fee.

Hand in everything, return 20 mins later for passport.

Hi,

I am currently have a one year multi-entry category O issued in Savannakhet, which expires in February.

However, I will be away from Thailand in the UK when it is due for renewal. So I would be interested in renewal at Liverpool consulate.

Do you know if proof of funds are required? If so how much and does it need to be in a UK or Thai account?

Do you have a link to teh web site?

Thanks.

Clive R.

I used to get my Visa from Birmingham Consulate due to very fast turn around.

For my current Visa (applied for late September 2014), I decided to apply for a non O multi entry as I'm now 50. The first changes I noticed were: a) the site had a warning that all non O multi entry had to be issued from London, B) the application form layout had changed, c) there was now a £10 admin surcharge on top of the Visa Fee, d) a stamped return envelope was no longer needed.

I decided I may as well apply directly to London.

The website wasn't fully clear about what supporting documents were needed, giving only certain examples based on certain reasons for travel (for example visiting a Thai Wife needed copies of the marriage certificate, etc).

I was reasonably confident I had understood the site as far as it could be worked out, and for "Extended Tourism" all I needed was to be over 50 and show sufficient funds to support myself during my time in Thailand. I sent off the Application, bank statements and £125 (+£10) postal order (cash no longer accepted - so an extra charge there too).

About a week later, I got a phone call back, I didn't understand everything the lady said but the crux was I needed to be 55 (may have said 65) for what I applied for, or for a 50 year old there was a different type I could apply for (long stay?) but this needed additional documents including a police record check and a medical check for infectious diseases. In the end they gave me 3 entry tourist visa for £75 and refunded £50 (in cash!)

When I re-checked the supporting documentation page using my browser history, the page had completely changed and were incomplete.

So I think the rules have very recently changed and those changes are not yet well documented or understood yet. Whether the misunderstandings are on the side of the staff at the Embassy, or the falangs trying to interpret the new (and old!) rules, I don't know, but I think a lot of confusion is to be expected as more falangs go through their visa cycles.

I called the consulate at Liverpool and all they said I needed to bring along was the application, 2 passport photos, marriage certificate (translated), my passport, £125 postal order and a copy of the wifes ID card.

Pretty much what Bluescouse has said. There was no mention of a £10 fee or proof of funds.

I will report back on Friday.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the useful information. I'm thinking Liverpool would be a good option as I will probably be visiting Anfield/Goodison at some stage (Trying to get tickets for the Merseyside derby on Feb 7th)

Forgot to mention that my current multi entry is based on 27 years of marriage to my Thai wife so age limits are not a concern as it's not for retirement.

One more question: My current visa expires on February 23rd (I'll actually be in Bogota at that time!) so need to renew earlier. Does the new visa run from the date of issue or is it tagged on to the existing visa and run from February 23rd. Bad timing I know as i have missed the opportunity of 'extending it a further 90 days through until May.

Was it easy enough to get an appointment at Liverpool consulate or is there a waiting period?

I await the feedback from your visit - Chok Dee Nah!

Clive R.

Not correct, just turn around.

You have to leave and return every 90 days.

Are you certain your information is current?

This is from the application form link on the Birmingham Consulate web site ( http://user5889.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/Thai_visa_application_form.pdf )

From page 2:

---------------------------------------------------

NON-IMMIGRANT TYPE 'O' SINGLE ENTRY

Available to visitors over 50 but under 65 years of age with proof of income.
1) Copy of last 3 months bank statements showing salary or pension of £1,400 per month.
or
2) Copies of last 3 months bank statements showing a balance of £16,800.
Bank statements must quote name and address of applicant.
NON-IMMIGRANT TYPE 'O' MULTIPLE ENTRY
Available to visitors of 65 years of age & over and in receipt of the state pension. We require a copy of the letter from the Department of Works & Pensions or copies of bank statements showing pension payments (3 months).
Bank statements and letters must quote name and address of applicant.
---------------------------------------------------
I'm 50 and applied (to London Embassy) for a Non O multi entry in late September this year. The London Embassy website ( http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49 ) has one of the better explanations of the visa types and requirements (though still ambiguous for some types of visitor) and does NOT mention the 65 years old limit, yet I got a phone call from the Embassy telling me I was not old enough for the multi entry and they issued me 3 tourist visas instead.
Regards.

Longstebe:

I am on my fourth multi-entry 'O' visa (got fed up with dealing with the local immigration office as they 'moved the goal posts' each time I visited).

As I travel quite extensively the leaving thailand every 90 days is not an issue - In fact it's better as I don't need a multi-entry visa.

On occasions when I do spend 90 days in Thailand it's easy enough to hit the border and return. I have previously done that with a return flight to KL and been back in Thailand on the same day. I have also skipped out to Myanmar on a longtail boat from Ranong returning with a couple of hours. In both cases the '48 hour rule' did not apply.

Najinsky:

I think that you are referring to a retirement visa, which has diffrent requirements to the multi-entry category O based on having a Thai spouse.

Clive R.

• Like 1

I applied In September for a non-O multi entry.

Have to phone to make appointment. Show wedding certificate, copy and English translation, plus

photocopy of wife's ID card or passport.£125 plus £10 for same day fee.

Hand in everything, return 20 mins later for passport.

Hi did you have to have any proof of funds

Najinsky:

I think that you are referring to a retirement visa, which has diffrent requirements to the multi-entry category O based on having a Thai spouse.

Clive R.

No, I think she was referring to an "O-A". From the London Embassy Website I linked to:

Category

"O-A"

To applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an entended period without the intention of working.

Additional documents requires by each type of Non-Immigrant Visa;

Non-Immigrant Type O-A

• Proof of income with a minimum of £1,400.00 per month or £1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually for those who have been issue category O with multiple entries
  • Medical Record
  • Criminal Record check

It seems that Retirement Visas are covered under "O"

Category "O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, Retirement (with State Pension)

Non-Immigrant Type O

• Birth Certificate (applicant's child)
  • Certificate of Marriage or its equivalents (if married to Thai national)
  • a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 anuually.)
  • An official recommendation letter from organization perform voluntary job in Thailand (for volunteer job)
  • Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner.

The London Embassy website does a better job of explaining what the different "Categories" are, however it doesn't offer any differentiation between SINGLE entry and MULTI entry. The Birmingham Consulate website DOES make a distinction between Single and Multiple, claiming the Single entry "O" Age requirement is 50 and the Multiple entry "O" age requirement is 65. However, despite applying with the London Embassy for a Multi entry "O" I was told I had to be 65. So was given the option of an "O-A" if I sent in a medical and police check report (which would introduce delays) or a 3 entry Tourist Visa, which is what I elected for.

Basically there is a lot of ambiguity in these "official" websites that cause confusion, meaning sites like TV will always be generating lots of traffic.

For example it seems that people under 65 often get Multi O based on Child/Spouse etc, so the higher age requirement might be just be for a Retirement Multi O, but the information given on the site doesn't explicitly state that.

Clearly if age is an issue you are applying for a retirement visa and not for a visa on the basis of having a Thai spouse, which the OP referred to.

'People visiting family – i.e. men who are married to a Thai National'

For me having correct documentation is not a problem as I have been married to a Thai since 1987 and we have lived in Thailand since 1991. I alway take originals and copies of marriage papers, wife's ID Card, Tabien Baan and a letter from my wife requesting the visa.

The issue for me is the difference in having proof of funds. My local immigration office insists on 400K baht having been seasoned for at least three months. The Thai embassy in KL used to specify 100K with no proof of seasoning. The Thai embassy in Savannakhet has never asked for proof of funds in the three times that I have renewed there. I simply want to know whether Liverpool require proof of funds.

Sage advice is not to take more funds into Thailand than you can afford to lose. As such most of my assets are kept offshore and I do not want 400K sitting in a Thai bank account when I can have it appreciating in value somewhere else.

Clearly if age is an issue you are applying for a retirement visa and not for a visa on the basis of having a Thai spouse, which the OP referred to.

'People visiting family – i.e. men who are married to a Thai National'

For me having correct documentation is not a problem as I have been married to a Thai since 1987 and we have lived in Thailand since 1991. I alway take originals and copies of marriage papers, wife's ID Card, Tabien Baan and a letter from my wife requesting the visa.

The issue for me is the difference in having proof of funds. My local immigration office insists on 400K baht having been seasoned for at least three months. The Thai embassy in KL used to specify 100K with no proof of seasoning. The Thai embassy in Savannakhet has never asked for proof of funds in the three times that I have renewed there. I simply want to know whether Liverpool require proof of funds.

Sage advice is not to take more funds into Thailand than you can afford to lose. As such most of my assets are kept offshore and I do not want 400K sitting in a Thai bank account when I can have it appreciating in value somewhere else.

You will not need proof of funds.

Sorry to hear that. Will you be making a new appointment?

Is it easy to get an appointent slot ro do you need to organise well in advance?

Thanks.

Clive R.

I won't be making a new appointment for the time being.

I called them on the Tuesday and managed to get an appointment on the Friday, the lady was very nice over the telephone.

I used to get my Visa from Birmingham Consulate due to very fast turn around.

For my current Visa (applied for late September 2014), I decided to apply for a non O multi entry as I'm now 50. The first changes I noticed were: a) the site had a warning that all non O multi entry had to be issued from London, cool.png the application form layout had changed, c) there was now a £10 admin surcharge on top of the Visa Fee, d) a stamped return envelope was no longer needed.

I decided I may as well apply directly to London.

The website wasn't fully clear about what supporting documents were needed, giving only certain examples based on certain reasons for travel (for example visiting a Thai Wife needed copies of the marriage certificate, etc).

I was reasonably confident I had understood the site as far as it could be worked out, and for "Extended Tourism" all I needed was to be over 50 and show sufficient funds to support myself during my time in Thailand. I sent off the Application, bank statements and £125 (+£10) postal order (cash no longer accepted - so an extra charge there too).

About a week later, I got a phone call back, I didn't understand everything the lady said but the crux was I needed to be 55 (may have said 65) for what I applied for, or for a 50 year old there was a different type I could apply for (long stay?) but this needed additional documents including a police record check and a medical check for infectious diseases. In the end they gave me 3 entry tourist visa for £75 and refunded £50 (in cash!)

When I re-checked the supporting documentation page using my browser history, the page had completely changed and were incomplete.

So I think the rules have very recently changed and those changes are not yet well documented or understood yet. Whether the misunderstandings are on the side of the staff at the Embassy, or the falangs trying to interpret the new (and old!) rules, I don't know, but I think a lot of confusion is to be expected as more falangs go through their visa cycles.

these changes are not new - been in place for over a year at least

I believe you can still get a Single Type O if over 50

The other visa you refer too is an O-A which is sometimes referred to as a retirement visa

Smedly

where in the UK do you think a single entry non 'o' over 50 but under 65 can be obtained, I can see nothing to this effect on any consulates site, but they are a bit messed up so i could be missing something

Edited by steve187

The other visa you refer too is an O-A which is sometimes referred to as a retirement visa

I think it only confuses things to refer to O-A as a retirement visa.

As per the Thai Embassy in London , Retirement is explicitly stated as Non O.

Non O-A is referred to as an extended stay visa for people over 50, which may sound similar, but requires a Police Check report and a Medical Check report, which I suspect many retirees would not want to submit to!!! :-)

Regards.