Thai Shrimp Association fears EU may ban Thai fisheries products

webfact

It is not only a problem of modern slavery. Thai shrimps are cultured and stuffed with pesticides and all kind of chemicals. Of course the exported shrimps are "EU compliant". Thais manage to get the shrimps, and all other products, "clean" for export.

Why do you think there are always 2 qualities for products??? The export quality and the local market quality...

You enjoy the cheap tasty Thai shrimps in Thailand, in lovely Tom Yam Kung? It would be declared dangerous for health in the US or EU. And it is the same for meat, veggies, fruits. Just name it...

Greed, corruption, lack of standards and controls = DANGER for your own health. This modern slavery problem is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

The famous Thai phrase comes to mind, som nam na. ( you deserve it )

it means "serves you right" kind of disapproving. Sp is this what you want to tell? I have a company serving the shrimp hatcheries with innovative products.

The famous Thai phrase comes to mind, som nam na. ( you deserve it )

it means "serves you right" kind of disapproving. Sp is this what you want to tell? I have a company serving the shrimp hatcheries with innovative products.

Goldfish, per chance?

Check out what has been done for the Thai and World Shrimp business on the Thai Organic Shrimp Facebook page. Khun Veerasun has created a perfectly safe environment for shrimp farms without any poisons, toxins, or harm to anything! No shrimp disease due to natural diet source without pallet feed with natural self cleaning environment. Why doesn't the Thai Shrimp Association know about his work?

1. Learning is not the favorite sport here

2. When the Germans tried to put up a huge project (financed by them) to teach farmers to plant organic rice they were told it don't work here. Questions about this were answered with': because this is Thailand...

These are Thai people teaching Thai people.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/283312751823562/

• Like 1

I am a bit surprised that the issue is now slavery on the vessels. In the past

there was health issues, as there were reports that the shrimp were being raised

in what amounted to a toxic soup. But the slavery issue has been perking

along for years, it must be very profitable for the companies to continue

it in the face of all the bad press and calls for reform. But the real fear for

the shrimp industry has to be that if the EU bans their shrimp due to slavery,

I suspect the US will not be far behind....

'TRAT, 6 October 2014 (NNT)- The Department of Employment’s Trat Office has claimed there is no human trafficking activity in the fishing industry. It said migrant workers only spent a few days at sea before returning ashore.'

With reports like the above, no wonder they are being targeted.

I won't buy any seafood or canned food that comes from Thailand, and will tell the supermarket they are contributing to human trafficking selling Thai imported product.

• Like 1

Perhaps some kind of broad EU wide sanction across many industries which only allows the import of goods into the EU from a 51% foreign owned company would get the message across.

Failing that a full ban would most definitely get their attention. For example ban all imports for 5 years and then review the situation in 2019 and not before.

A lot of laws in Thailand, this issue is ith enforcing them

They had a god thing with the shrimp exports but like so many other things involving Thailand they have ruined a good thing

Like everything else, they just sit back and let it happen and wonder why why why?

I think you're giving them too much credit by having them wonder why. Wondering why involves some critical thinking.

communist eu,

What would happen to you when you would 'rework' the Thai flag in an insulting way, or just publish such crap? Hmm? Are you one of those nationalist, xenophobic, very, very, little 'macho men' with a huge pride? By the way, this is totally off-topic, not any link with communism, outside of your sick imagination, baba bobo boy!

communist eu,

P.S.: for your info, when they would not have been evicted, banned, deported, treathened, massacred, there would probably be more communists today in Thailand than in all EU countries together, but I may guess History was not, either, part of your curriculum...

This is very strange why Europe would ban shrimp imports as this is all cultured shrimp.

Farming practices that include growth promoters etc are probably and rightly frowned upon by the EU

Still, SLAVE WORKERS are the issue at the time for the EU! When you know more about 'growth promoters', antibiotics, fungicides, pesticides, heavy metals and other poisonous stuff in shrimps and fish, please, inform the EU, for Thailand to get another ban for sure...

Check out what has been done for the Thai and World Shrimp business on the Thai Organic Shrimp Facebook page. Khun Veerasun has created a perfectly safe environment for shrimp farms without any poisons, toxins, or harm to anything! No shrimp disease due to natural diet source without pallet feed with natural self cleaning environment. Why doesn't the Thai Shrimp Association know about his work?

But as long as more money can be made easier in an unhealthy and dishonest way the Thai 'businessmen' will go on using all the tricks in the box... And who are the most to blame those slick and greedy 'Chinese merchants', or the lame and lazy tribes of 'officials' not enforcing Laws and Rules? The corruptors, or, the corrupted? (I'd say both...)

I am working in the shrimp business

A slave driver going to be hit in his wallet then? Or one of the, few, smaller, honest ones who are going to get squashed because of the big guys' tricks?
are you calling me a slave driver? First of all the Thaivisa police should ban you for such insult. Second I am in the shrimp cultivation, not in the fishing business. All my employees are Thai. Shrimp export to Europe is 100% cultivated shrimp.

I am working in the shrimp business

A slave driver going to be hit in his wallet then? Or one of the, few, smaller, honest ones who are going to get squashed because of the big guys' tricks?
are you calling me a slave driver? First of all the Thaivisa police should ban you for such insult. Second I am in the shrimp cultivation, not in the fishing business. All my employees are Thai. Shrimp export to Europe is 100% cultivated shrimp.

So then, you could be one of the exceptions I wrote about next, and sympathise with, good for you then, and no reason to blow a fuse... But when you would want me to believe all is kosher in the shrimp farms, in general, and there are only, legal, Thai, workers there, I couldn't do any more than the EU investigators... Maybe time for men like you to unite, in a new organisation, and fight the malpractices in your sector of activity by yourselves?

• Like 1

A lot of laws in Thailand, this issue is ith enforcing them

They had a god thing with the shrimp exports but like so many other things involving Thailand they have ruined a good thing

Like everything else, they just sit back and let it happen and wonder why why why?

As a friend of 20 years in Thailand said to me 'Thais have a self destruct button and they push it all the time'.

I have never met a people who are so good at shooting themselves in the foot - multiple times - and they never, ever learn from experience ...

It's always someone else's fault. Whaddya reckon, General?

Edited by Mister Fixit

But as long as more money can be made easier in an unhealthy and dishonest way the Thai 'businessmen' will go on using all the tricks in the box... And who are the most to blame those slick and greedy 'Chinese merchants', or the lame and lazy tribes of 'officials' not enforcing Laws and Rules? The corruptors, or, the corrupted? (I'd say both...)

Read the link on facebook for the Thai Organic Shrimp: https://www.facebook.com/groups/283312751823562/

They are creating safe, heathy gigantic shrimp to commamd top dollar on the world market.

Thailand is taking the lead in sustainable, universal health focused research and development for global food supplies.

What I'm seeing unfold is a human controlled environment without any unhealthy side effects or destruction to the environment.

The dynamic innovator of all this is Veerasun Prayotamornkul- a Thai.

Mr. Veerasun has been invited as a guest speaker for the next Biofloc Symposium in Singapore.

His topic is Organic Shrimp Farming: The Next Wave.

This revolution in shrimp farming processes is at the fish farmers level.

Many people here are bashing Thailand without taking the time to see what's new..

Read the Facebook link, this gentlemen is serious and about to change the dynamics of the Shrimp business.

Here is what he said:" Farmers now can produce fish and shrimp with the lowest investment possible. Safe to aquatic animal, human consumption and totally environmentally responsibility on behalf of sustainably aquaculture. เกษตรกรสามารถเลี้ยงกุ้งและปลา ด้วยการลงทุนที่ต่ำมาก ปลอดภัยต่อสัตว์น้ำ ผู้บริโภค โดยมีส่วนร่วมในการรักษาสิ่งแวดล้อม พร้อมสร้างความยั่งยืนตลอดกาล"

Edited by Tybreeze

Thailand will come up with a clever solution like if we bury our heads in the sand and it will all go away easy now no problems the prawns will just be a little bit off next time they arrive in the EU due to the problems we have to solve.

Read the link on facebook for the Thai Organic Shrimp: https://www.facebook.com/groups/283312751823562/

They are creating safe, heathy gigantic shrimp to commamd top dollar on the world market.

Thailand is taking the lead in sustainable, universal health focused research and development for global food supplies.

What I'm seeing unfold is a human controlled environment without any unhealthy side effects or destruction to the environment.

The dynamic innovator of all this is Veerasun Prayotamornkul- a Thai.

Mr. Veerasun has been invited as a guest speaker for the next Biofloc Symposium in Singapore.

His topic is Organic Shrimp Farming: The Next Wave.

This revolution in shrimp farming processes is at the fish farmers level.

Many people here are bashing Thailand without taking the time to see what's new..

Read the Facebook link, this gentlemen is serious and about to change the dynamics of the Shrimp business.

Here is what he said:" Farmers now can produce fish and shrimp with the lowest investment possible. Safe to aquatic animal, human consumption and totally environmentally responsibility on behalf of sustainably aquaculture. เกษตรกรสามารถเลี้ยงกุ้งและปลา ด้วยการลงทุนที่ต่ำมาก ปลอดภัยต่อสัตว์น้ำ ผู้บริโภค โดยมีส่วนร่วมในการรักษาสิ่งแวดล้อม พร้อมสร้างความยั่งยืนตลอดกาล"

All nice and fine, but do you have the will, the means, the credentials, ...the power, ...the contacts, to clean up your own sector of activity by yourselves of the rotten elements! Can you? May I guess it are the 'big players', you depend on for some specific items they control 100%? You think I talk out of my neck? Well, tell us how many companies are controling more than 50% of the feeders' and chemicals' supplies used in shrimp farming together? And which of 'those' companies are themselves (or subsidiaries of course) involved in shrimp farming/processing/exporting, on a LARGE scale? Are these the few same companies keeping all the contacts with the Ministries and other 'authorities', both in Thailand and on export markets to themselves in your professional organisation? How many 'companies' is this about? How many fingers of that one hand do you need?

Edited by bangrak