Mother, daughter injured in shelf collapse at Homeworks Phuket

webfact

Mother, daughter injured in shelf collapse at Homeworks Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

1417952803_1-org.jpg
Emergency crews clear wreckage after shelves stacked with paint tims collapsed at Homeworks Phuket

PHUKET: -- Two people from the same family have been hospitalized after three-metre-high shelves collapsed at Homeworks Phuket this afternoon (Dec 7).

Phuket residents Phatcharee Boontaley, 35, and daughter Pitchaya Saekin, 11, are being treated at Bangkok Phuket Hospital after being hurt when a fan tipped over and caused rows of paint tins to topple along with the shelves.
The girl's father, Paiboon Seakin, 42, also suffered minor injuries.
The store has been closed temporarily while emergency crews work to clear the wreckage and investigate the cause of the collapse.

Central Group will cover all medical expenses of the injured, a spokesperson for the retailer said.

Following the incident, staff at all properties operated by Central Group have been ordered to thoroughly check the safety of shelves to avoid any similar incidents.

The incident is unprecedented. Nothing like this has ever happened at any properties operated by the Central Group, the spokesperson said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/mother-daughter-injured-in-shelf-collapse-at-homeworks-phuket-50011.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-08

• Like 1

How big was the fan?

translate,,, "today a huge display of heavy paint cans collapsed and injured a 35 year old mother and her daughter, the accident is believed to be have caused by shoddy workmanship in the construction on the shelves"

thats better.

And, a lot more accurate. I'd put big money on, "no shelf in the entire store being secured so it won't fall over". That would require thought and planning, which seems to be in very short supply in this country. coffee1.gif

This is akin to a problem that has bothered me now for years over here. These so called "Super Stores" always have restocking crews working in he daytime, or open hours. They have crews running fork lifts with pallets of merchandise raised far in excess of 3 metres, and all done while there are shoppers slipping in and out and under in order to pick out some wanted item. Why do they allow these stocking crews to work around customers? In a civilized country these stores have stocking crews working during closed hours. Other than company greed and/or complete disregard for the people who these stores want to bring in their money, there is no other reason to do stocking during open hours. If an item is in such hot demand that sufficient amount cannot be stocked on the sales floor, at least move more in on a single height pallet , pulled by hand lift.

Something like this or worse was/is just an event bound to happen, and will continue until more logical heads take some action.

I say forego the shopping carts and just give all the customers a forklift of their own to go shopping with.

post-200208-0-26824400-1418006697_thumb.

This is akin to a problem that has bothered me now for years over here. These so called "Super Stores" always have restocking crews working in he daytime, or open hours. They have crews running fork lifts with pallets of merchandise raised far in excess of 3 metres, and all done while there are shoppers slipping in and out and under in order to pick out some wanted item. Why do they allow these stocking crews to work around customers? In a civilized country these stores have stocking crews working during closed hours. Other than company greed and/or complete disregard for the people who these stores want to bring in their money, there is no other reason to do stocking during open hours. If an item is in such hot demand that sufficient amount cannot be stocked on the sales floor, at least move more in on a single height pallet , pulled by hand lift.

Something like this or worse was/is just an event bound to happen, and will continue until more logical heads take some action.

I say forego the shopping carts and just give all the customers a forklift of their own to go shopping with.

attachicon.gif183182-caterpillar-power-loader-j-5000-i-aliens-i.jpg

Now that a great Thai-like ideeee

Huge lines of fork lifts at the front door....all customers zooming around the store...... and then someday when better manners are learned, they can go around and say " sorry , didn't mean to fork you"

• Like 1

Im not surprised this happened.

The "don't give a flying two hoots" mentality that seems to be part of Thai culture, will certainly hurt Thai's at some time in the future when someone steps in and provides better service and in this case safety... Uber is doing just that now!

Several years ago I was in a major retailer store in Bkk. I noticed that the large shelves had a cable support system. They had used a cable clamp to secure the cable to the shelve...........the clamp was attached in the wrong direction and there should have been 2 clamps on this cable with the correct spacing or better yet shop made eyes that had been load tested. Simple mistakes but dangerous ones.

You can bet your life the shelves are not strong enough to take over stacked paint the tins are very heavey 1 and 3lt tins 3-4 high along the full length of the shelf and 3-4 rows back, very heavey. The staff are not trained to understand these type of difficult safety standards.

Ok low down,bottom 2 shelves.

Actually the big stores in the US do have stocking crews working while they are open. I know that Costco, Walmart and Krogers do. They use forklifts, too.

But they block an isle. Here's a shot of it happening at Home Depot.

I also think the shelves in that Thai picture look flimsy.

post-164212-0-75943800-1418009241_thumb.

post-164212-0-99366400-1418009245_thumb.

So you say that a "fan" brought all of this down ? I have seen many of these shelving systems installed properly with their extensive interlocks, cross bracing and seismic cable tie-backs - you should not be able to cause the shelves to fall, even if you hit them with a fork lift. I have always been nervous about walking down the 'canyons' ( aisles) in these places, especially Macro for some reason.

Heaven forbid that anyone would ever be there when even a minor earthquake hits -- there would be little time to run to safety.

attachicon.gif183182-caterpillar-power-loader-j-5000-i-aliens-i.jpg

Now that a great Thai-like ideeee

Huge lines of fork lifts at the front door....all customers zooming around the store...... and then someday when better manners are learned, they can go around and say " sorry , didn't mean to fork you"

anything made here breaks or falls over, they have no clue, condos collapsing, drivers going over low walls on freeways and now shelving, maybe the gravity here is stronger than any other parts of the world

Quote made by a former Thai Minister:

"It's really not necessary for Thai to wear helmets when driving motorbikes, as Thai have thicker skulls to protect them, unlike other people"

If the guy's assertion is right it explains why there is less space for the brain

• Like 1

I'm glad no one was killed and that the medical expenses dor the injured will be covered by the parent company.

I was not there and any comments as to the cause, would be speculation and worthless.