'Speak German at home' row as conservatives target migrants

webfact

'Speak German at home' row as conservatives target migrants

(BBC) Immigrants should speak German not only in public but also in the home, Bavaria's governing conservatives say - provoking a torrent of criticism.

The Christian Social Union (CSU), an ally of German Chancellor Angela Merkel, says it is a matter for debate, and is not yet official policy.

Critics launched a Twitter hashtag - #YallaCSU - which became a top trending topic among German Twitter users.

Some express alarm about politics reaching into the home.

The hashtag is an ironic joke at the CSU's expense, as "Yalla" is Arabic for "let's go!"

The CSU draft proposal says "people who want to remain here on a permanent basis should be encouraged to speak German in public and within the family".

CSU general secretary Andreas Scheuer said the proposal was "well prepared and widely backed".

The general secretary of the centre-left Social Democrats (SPD), Yasmin Fahimi, said the CSU had "arrived in Absurdistan.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30380970

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-09

Well its true, fit in, embrace the country 100% or F off

If your thinking is to prevail, well, better get working on my Thai as we speak English at home here in Chiang Mai.

or how about, what goes on in my home is my business, if you would like to come in a tell me what to say, i will politly knock your teeth down the back of your neck

• Like 2

What a stupid article. Just because someone said "should" doesn't mean they have too or it

should be the law.

What a stupidity if someone can't say what they believe people should do in his or her opinion.
This forum is full of people telling others what they should do or how they should think, so what's

wrong if some politicians say what they believe?

Suppose same as in this forum, people like to ridicule others for their views, believes or mistakes.
Just look how people jump on any occasion to correct the spelling mistakes of [mostly non english
speaking] posters.

• Like 2

I wonder how many German expats (and all the other nations represented here) speak Thai at home in Thailand? Or Thai anywhere? Perhaps Tycoon's statement "Well its true, fit in, embrace the country 100% or F off" would apply to expats too lazy or superior to at least try to learn Thai....

True dat - but I don't think it's Germany's expats this article is talking about. I think it's Germany's actual legal Immigrants. i.e. Those who have stayed and been granted German citizenship and are now German passport holders, tax payers. etc. Within our homes we must always fight to speak whatever language we want to. Out and about in society - maybe they've got a point. Speaking Thai language is worth 10 points out of 100 when applying for citizenship in Thailand - so not mandatory it seems.

• Like 2

Let's not forget that the founding members of the CSU and as well the CDU have been members before of the NSDAP, Gestapo and the SS.

Bavaria is still a very brown state in Germany.

Unbelievable .... in the sense of "<deleted>' unbelievable".

It seems you have been too lazy to google. After ending a dictatorship every country has some political chameleons and all countries in the world have some stupid neocons.

The German CSU - nowadays compared to the Tea-Party - is the day, the Tea-Party is the night.

What a stupid article. Just because someone said "should" doesn't mean they have too or it

should be the law.

What a stupidity if someone can't say what they believe people should do in his or her opinion.

This forum is full of people telling others what they should do or how they should think, so what's

wrong if some politicians say what they believe?

Suppose same as in this forum, people like to ridicule others for their views, believes or mistakes.

Just look how people jump on any occasion to correct the spelling mistakes of [mostly non english

speaking] posters.

Applies to most comments by posters, excluding TVF staff. Unfortunately, politicians can sometimes make their silly notions into rules, public expenditure and other things which actually effect people.

I wonder how many German expats (and all the other nations represented here) speak Thai at home in Thailand? Or Thai anywhere? Perhaps Tycoon's statement "Well its true, fit in, embrace the country 100% or F off" would apply to expats too lazy or superior to at least try to learn Thai....

They are talking about migrants ..... those that attain German citizenship (and can stay in Germany forever).

Expats in Thailand will never be migrants, but for those few that become migrants it would be fair enough.

Why would anyone learn the language of a country they only have permission to stay in for 90 days?

I was thinking of the many "de facto" immigrants that are here living on retirement visa or whatever. I come from USA and always shake my head when some of them start in on hispanics (or other groups) that haven't learned English, yet can barely say hello in Thai after being here for decade or more.

I try to learn as much as I can of language of where I happen to alight, even if only for a few weeks. As it is now, I can be misunderstood in many languages! It shows respect and you have chance to talk with folks who may not have been tweaked by too much shoulder rubbing with foreigners.

• Like 1