Immigration office is officially broken..

LivinLOS

90 day report problems are the staffs fault.

It takes 30-60 seconds for them to process a 90 day report.

Scan bar code, stamp and sign printout.

No excuses for taking longer.

Perhaps so, but what do you or anyone else intend to do about it? We are all aware of the inconvenience caused and no one is disputing what you say, just that there is noting we can do to change the situation.

Oscar2, your posts have been invaluable and thank you for that. For my next 90 day report I am going to be daring and give the post option a try.

If anyone else uses the post option please let us know of your good and bad experiences using this system.

"The usual suspects will be along shortly with in and out record breaking times. wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA5qWhPHe-"

And I thought I was the only one who had noticed the phenomena.

I use Assist Thai Visa, as poor and old and Nakered as I am.

john

By poor do you mean unwealthy? 5,500 baht for the service is for the wealthy.

If anyone else uses the post option please let us know of your good and bad experiences using this system.

I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Used EMS to send and regular postage on the return envelope. Took 3 days from the time it was dropped off at the post office to the time it was in my mail box at home, even though it did go through Lamphun distribution center.

So post office stamped at 11:05 on a Tuesday Morning the 25th, arrived at immigration Wednesday afternoon of the 26th, immigration stamped it at 4:15PM on the 26th and in my mailbox morning of Thursday the 27th.

Was there for a 90 day myself on Monday. It was a zoo, no denying.

Arrived at 11:15 finished at 3:30 that includes the hour or so break they took for lunch which I understand and accept. This was the first time in over 2 years of doing them that I had a wait like this all the others 15 minutes half hour tops.

I figured out approximately how long it was taking to process each report by the next number board (about 3 mins. I was 42 ahead).To kill the time I wandered around airport plaza had some lunch at the food bazaar even had a beer at that hotel apartment place right beside the plaza as you walk back to immigration. Not a bad afternoon really. Wouldn't want to do it every time though.

Why are standards so dramatically different between Pattaya and Chiang Mai?

Its not so much the staffs fault, even if they do have some lack of logic to how they handle the crowds.. Its simply that this city has far outgrown the size and staff that the immigration office has space for.. Even having moved all the Burmese workers out to the promenada one, and residency certs work to there... The current place cant cope with the workload.

A new one is being built but it wont be online for a couple of years. Hopefully with mail in 90 day reports and booking my extension slot online.. I wont have this again..

I went for my 90 day on a Tuesday 6 weeks ago and it was total chaos. Never seen it so bad, the place was heaving, it was unbearably hot, the seats are falling apart, people shoving and pushing between the seats and walkway areas, seems to be no queue system it`s every man for himself. I arrived at 11.00am and got my stamp at 3.45pm.

i did my 90-day about a week ago. i handed the envelope to our postman... took about 3 minutes to prepare and about 30 seconds to walk outside and hand the envelope to the postman. couldn't have been easier. got the next date slip back in the post in about 4-5 days. wink.png some people will never learn...biggrin.png

You did read the OP yeah.. Been doing postal for the last year or so.. But somethings come up last minute, and I cant say for sure that a postal report sent monday would be back in time for me leaving.. It might be, but too big a gamble.

But thanks for your smug if inapplicable advice.

• Like 1

Number of people and inadequate facilities and insufficient staff.

It might have something to do with all the Burmese working in Chiang Mai. That probably uses a lot of resources.

I dont know for sure, but I think they are now 100% at the Promenda located office.. Thats how it looked last week.

I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Used EMS to send and regular postage on the return envelope. Took 3 days from the time it was dropped off at the post office to the time it was in my mail box at home, even though it did go through Lamphun distribution center.

So post office stamped at 11:05 on a Tuesday Morning the 25th, arrived at immigration Wednesday afternoon of the 26th, immigration stamped it at 4:15PM on the 26th and in my mailbox morning of Thursday the 27th.

Tywais, thank you for this, much, much appreciated.

Anyways to escape the hassle and stress of a day at Immigration has to be worth a try.

Sorry to impose on you further, just to clarify for a dimbo like me what is involved here:

You send an EMS to Immigration that includes a copy of your passport, JB arrival card signed and dated and a completed TM47 form? And include a stamped self addressed envelope for the return slip.

Is this correct please?

Perhaps so, but what do you or anyone else intend to do about it? We are all aware of the inconvenience caused and no one is disputing what you say, just that there is noting we can do to change the situation.

Oscar2, your posts have been invaluable and thank you for that. For my next 90 day report I am going to be daring and give the post option a try.

My post was to point out the error of the apologists.

The guy in charge of CM immigration positively hates foreigners and will do all he can to make their visit to immigration as unpleasant as possible. It is deliberate and it is his policy. None of the other immigration offices across Thailand are as unpleasant as this one.

I suppose it proves one thing; no matter how many meetings the 'Chief of Immigration' has with Chiang Mai citizens, nothing is going to change until the head of immigration resources says it will.

the last immgr dept chief,before the present poodle,was immediately sent to coventry for stating the bare facts,that a degrading service is given to all aliens,in c/mai

the expats club meeting with the present poodle approx 6 weeks ago ,was simply a spin doctor scenario etc etc , i had a post removed on annoncement of the meetings thread , for saying so

200 questions was given to the poodle,200 mind you,and i have it from expats mouths that attended the meeting most were useless to help the present crisis

this is not a cheap shot at the expat club at all,just posting the truth,, but honestly why would the head honchos of bangkok immgr dept, listen to a bunch of old worn out expats , they have been giving the two finger sign up for yrs now, and will continue to do so, they are on a cash cow here, thats what they want

holler for a visa agent,or put up with the s???... simple as that

the immgr dept usual worshippers, on this board are just a bunch of of old prats,sugar coating a very poor service,and amenties resembling a up market refugee camp

i openly admit , i am also a worn out old expat, or a coffin dodger so to speak,but i engage my super duper agent to handle all my immgr affairs, so i can turn the lights out with pride and dignity

• Like 1

The guy in charge of CM immigration positively hates foreigners and will do all he can to make their visit to immigration as unpleasant as possible. It is deliberate and it is his policy. None of the other immigration offices across Thailand are as unpleasant as this one.

I have dealt with multiple other offices.. And CMs officers are by far the nicest of the ones I have dealt with..

I have never seen another office so small for such a workload..

• Like 2

If its worse than CM then I don't want to experience that.

Hey Everybody bask in my glory!!!

I was there today and thinking.. This is it!!! No more immigration for me.

Can you imagine yourself in that realization???? Share in another's joy.. It will make you feel good :-)

The mail reports and agents seem a no brainer for the well heeled folks

Neccessary evil to live in the kingdom of bountiful camel toes

You send an EMS to Immigration that includes a copy of your passport, JB arrival card signed and dated and a completed TM47 form? And include a stamped self addressed envelope for the return slip.

Is this correct please?

Correct but also your current 90 day receipt. The instructions in the pinned topic clarifies it pretty well and how I did it.

I used those A4 brown envelopes to put all the documents in without having to fold any and a standard envelope for the return.

//edit - I understand your trepidation as I felt the same way for the first one and was triple checking everything. smile.png

Hogwash.

I have been going to the CM Immigration office for more than 25 years and never found the staff or service to be unpleasant.

I doubt you have ever spoken to the boss, he only speaks Thai (by choice).

You clearly don't speak one word of Thai, even though you've been here 25 years.

Edited by BritManToo

I don't know if it's hostile by intent but perhaps hostile by incompetence.

Kind of like driving on the roads. The guy that creams you probably doesn't have it out for you but just isn't thinking.

Today I showed three people the date on my visa and incorrect stamp and each assured me the stamp was correct (which it wasn't)

A lot of people would have left.

Finally a higher up agreed it was wrong and changed it.

BritManToo, you must be going to a different CM Immigration office than the one I go to. Staff have always been polite and friendly, even though they have to work in an environment I would find deplorable.

Yet again, for those with comprehension problems.

The boss, not the other staff.

• Like 1

Is this correct please?

Correct but also your current 90 day receipt. The instructions in the pinned topic clarifies it pretty well and how I did it.

I used those A4 brown envelopes to put all the documents in without having to fold any and a standard envelope for the return.

//edit - I understand your trepidation as I felt the same way for the first one and was triple checking everything. smile.png

Thank you again Admin and Tywais for your kind assistance.

Considering that it is possible to obtain the 90 day stamp two weeks prior to when it is due, I shall post two weeks beforehand every time and then if there are any hiccups plenty of time to visit Immigration and confirm all is in order. I will send my original 90 day slip of paper and make a copy to cover if in the event it becomes mislaid somewhere in the system.

And this in my mind is a viable solution to the 90 day reporting problem.

Was there for a 90 day myself on Monday. It was a zoo, no denying.

Arrived at 11:15 finished at 3:30 that includes the hour or so break they took for lunch which I understand and accept. This was the first time in over 2 years of doing them that I had a wait like this all the others 15 minutes half hour tops.

I figured out approximately how long it was taking to process each report by the next number board (about 3 mins. I was 42 ahead).To kill the time I wandered around airport plaza had some lunch at the food bazaar even had a beer at that hotel apartment place right beside the plaza as you walk back to immigration. Not a bad afternoon really. Wouldn't want to do it every time though.

With such a workload, maybe staggered lunch breaks?

• Like 1

Number of people and inadequate facilities and insufficient staff.

Bangkok HQ hates Chiang Mai and everything about it. This was strongly implied by the CM Imm boss in a recent interview.

• Like 1

I did my yearly extension there last week.. It was great. Nice place to sit with a latte from the little shop, and was out of there in about an hour and a half.

Ok that was by appointment, but didn't witness any zoo-ish scenes. That was last Thursday, day before a holiday and weekend.

In the scenario described in the OP I would still have mailed it in. If it wouldn't make it back in time then that's just too bad; it's not like exit immigration at the airport actually checks the 90 day ticket.

Re-entry is the one that matters, which is why you can conveniently get it at the airport.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The pinned topic on 90 day reporting by mail has been at the top of the CM TV page for ages.

At a recent meeting the head of Immigration himself requested that people should report by mail to relieve the number people visiting the office.

I don't understand why people are still confused and keep moaning about it , use the system.

My last report by mail,2 weeks ago ,registered both ways, resulted in a 4 day turn around which appears to be on average the time taken.

just be sure to use rong tabien (registered post) both sending and affix a registered sticker to the return envelope. do NOT use EMS.

What's the problem with using EMS?

takes about 5 days to deliver as it goes to main Lamphun sorting center first to be entered into the system.

also if a EMS delivery is attempted on a Saturday when a business is closed, they will often send it back to Lamphun (again). twice this year they attempted to deliver EMS to my stock broker in Bangkok on a Saturday when they are obviously closed. ended up taking about 8 days each time to get delivered to Bangkok. registered post arrives in C.M. locations next day.

I also recommend using registered post (both ways) and not EMS. EMS for valuable items as I believe the insurance is 7500 THB. Registered is much quicker as has been said - no routing to Lamphun 1st. We've had a number of problems sending stuff EMS. One package we sent (I think it was to Chiang Rai) could not be delivered for some reason and they sent us a letter saying that we had to come out to Lamphun to pick it up - which we had to do because after a couple of calls over there they refused to send it back. Registered post always sends it right back to the return address if undeliverable; International as well. Also just last month we sent a package to Bangkok EMS and it took 9 days to get there. Funny thing was the postal clerk even asked me if I was sure I wanted EMS as he thought registered would be much quicker - probably 2 days!