Immigration office is officially broken..

LivinLOS

Due to having a sudden need to travel and a fear my postal might not make it I had to do a 90 day in person.. I also needed a re-entry permit.

As it wasnt extensions I went along late morning.. Honestly never seen it so bad.. Bedlam..

I got 2 queue numbers one for re-entry one for the 90 day.. It was obvious I wouldnt get the re-entry.. The 90 day was managed at 4:20 PM with 10 mins before it closed.. Only reason that worked is the last 20 or so numbers the majority had given up and gone.. Most of the afternoon it looked like I wouldnt even manage the 90 day. There is no system to maintain queue orders for the following day.. Its simply try again.

I spoke to multiple people on their 2nd and 3rd day of trying for a service.

Its not even like its the staffs fault as much as they are totally swamped, they simply cannot handle the volume and the idea this will continue for multiple years until the new place is open is madness. That said, they still spend an awful amount of time checking phones, staring into space, and simple queue and priority systems could easily be adopted to help make some aspects more fair.

Be warned, even 90 day reports might not get done in single days... From around 11 am and I was one of the last to be processed..

Ohh just for reference.. On the re-entry stuff at maybe 10:30 or 11 am I was given a number up at 160 and it was currently 90ish.. They only got up to 12x or 130 by days end..

both re-entry and 90 day reports seemed to tick up unusually slowly.. Would have assumed a 90 day report is a 2 - 3 min task.. Felt like taking 5 to 10 mins each one through the afternoon. Possibly they are purposefully pushing people to mail them in ??

I went for my 90 day on a Tuesday 6 weeks ago and it was total chaos. Never seen it so bad, the place was heaving, it was unbearably hot, the seats are falling apart, people shoving and pushing between the seats and walkway areas, seems to be no queue system it`s every man for himself. I arrived at 11.00am and got my stamp at 3.45pm. Like the OP at times it seemed touch and go whether I would get my stamp or not. Very stressful.

The staff are polite but still only continue on at their own pace, and if people do not get their business sorted on the day, they don`t care and no one dare question them.

Another point that I find extremely irritating are those that push in the queue, acting if oblivious to the procedures and hoping no one will notice. At the time when my number appeared on the LCD display a Burmese monk literally shoved me out of the way and handed his papers to the officer, which held me back for another 15 minutes.

I totally agree that Chiang Mai Immigration is officially broken, it is struggling to function in it`s present format and will soon come to a grinding halt whereas obtaining visa extensions, re-entry, 90 day and so on is going to be like a lottery.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

I had to deal with Chiang Mai immigration for 2 years driving from Lampang every 90 days. Many times was a visa service "agent" in first place to take care of a ton of files..or...somebody given 300THB to the young attendant to pass its file to the office in front of everybody.....and hoping I will not be asked for any copy of my documents because that will make me face an one hour line outside the building.

Now.....living in Chiang Rai, getting in and out of the modern new immigration office in 10 minutes or less, I feel sorry about Chiang Mai expats....

As you are planning to travel overseas urgently you would not need to do a 90 day report if within the time, 15 days before 7 days after due date?

And you can get your reentry at the airport.

I am driving.. and its due to happen on the 16th or 17th (my report day was 8th) and I have unexpected travel from now until then preventing me doing it in between.

So thanks.. But if this failed I was just going to pay the 2k fine reporting.. But that would have been no fault of my own.. But I still have to pay it..

I actually semi tricked a re-entry permit out of the airport office.. Was touch and go but managed to finagle it out of them. Long story how but managed it by the skin of my teeth.

The fact remains.. None of these issues are my fault.. And I allocated a day to a simple task that they force me to do.. Thier failure to operate put into question my visa being cancelled, large costs and fees, a travel delay.. Etc etc..

Theres a certain amount of tolerance to adhering to the 'thai systems' they demand to control us, but when they fail to administer those systems effectively, with zero accountability or appeal, and all the burden of fines, costs and problems falling on us. Thats unfair.

As I mention multiple people I spoke to or heard grumblings in shock were on the 2nd or 3rd full day of waiting. Overseas embassies and consuls give people instructions to use 30 day extensions as part of a travel plan, they recently upped the 30 day visa exempt entry to receive a 30 day extension. How many wasted days vacation do they expect people to suffer because they fail to process them ??

I went this morning to get a wrong stamp changed. Still took an hour. I had to go thru three underlyngs who insisted it was right before it got kicked up to a guy with a desk and he spotted it right away and changed. Place was packed. Is tomorrow Constitution day? and Immigration holiday? The nearby holidays might have figured in the crowding. I wanted to do a tourist visa extension also but a number I got meant afternoon so will go on another day for my last ever visit to Immigration!!!!! Yay. Palm Springs California will be my new home after nearly 10 years here. Loved living here but it's time to move on and Immigration issues definitely did figure in my decision.

enjoy Palm Springs....hotter than hell....was a very nice place about 25 years ago. like everywhere else, it's over-grown, over-populated, over-built, and lost its charm. but California is nice indeed. hope to be visiting Calif. soon myself.smile.png

• Like 1

^^ Coachella valley really works for me a lot better than CM in a lot of ways but the thread is not about that

You suckers can pay more for high quality food, choke on air pollution, be attacked by unlimited insects and brave the worlds 2nd most dangerous roads.

Enjoy!!!

No place is perfect as there are always tradeoffs. Will miss all the girls in miniskirts!!!!!

• Like 1

I went for my 90 day on a Tuesday 6 weeks ago and it was total chaos. Never seen it so bad, the place was heaving, it was unbearably hot, the seats are falling apart, people shoving and pushing between the seats and walkway areas, seems to be no queue system it`s every man for himself. I arrived at 11.00am and got my stamp at 3.45pm.

i did my 90-day about a week ago. i handed the envelope to our postman... took about 3 minutes to prepare and about 30 seconds to walk outside and hand the envelope to the postman. couldn't have been easier. got the next date slip back in the post in about 4-5 days. wink.png some people will never learn...biggrin.png

OK Oscar2 I am tempted to give it a try.

I would like to ask you; how long have you been using the 90 day report postal option and have you received a date slip back every time without fail?

Edited by Beetlejuice

^^ Coachella valley really works for me a lot better than CM in a lot of ways but the thread is not about that

You suckers can pay more for high quality food, choke on air pollution, be attacked by unlimited insects and brave the worlds 2nd most dangerous roads.

Enjoy!!!

No place is perfect as there are always tradeoffs. Will miss all the girls in miniskirts!!!!!

right. didn't mean to derail the thread or in any way be negative about your future plans. hope you enjoy yourself. we'll be thing about you.thumbsup.gif best of luck.

Why are standards so dramatically different between Pattaya and Chiang Mai?

Number of people and inadequate facilities and insufficient staff.

It might have something to do with all the Burmese working in Chiang Mai. That probably uses a lot of resources.

• Like 1

I went for my 90 day on a Tuesday 6 weeks ago and it was total chaos. Never seen it so bad, the place was heaving, it was unbearably hot, the seats are falling apart, people shoving and pushing between the seats and walkway areas, seems to be no queue system it`s every man for himself. I arrived at 11.00am and got my stamp at 3.45pm.

i did my 90-day about a week ago. i handed the envelope to our postman... took about 3 minutes to prepare and about 30 seconds to walk outside and hand the envelope to the postman. couldn't have been easier. got the next date slip back in the post in about 4-5 days. wink.png some people will never learn...biggrin.png

OK Oscar2 you have convinced me and think I am going to give it a try.

I would like to ask you; how long have you been using the 90 day report postal option and have you received a date slip back every time without fail?

i have been using the reporting by post option for about 8 years i believe?? or thereabouts.... i have received a date slip back every time without fail. the exception was the one time they suspended the option for about 3 or 4 months. perhaps this was about 2 years ago? i read that it had been suspended by reports from other members, right here on the TV C.M. forum so i had to go in and sort it out (like everyone else). as i recall the lady who did it at the time quit on the spot.

just be sure to use rong tabien (registered post) both sending and affix a registered sticker to the return envelope. do NOT use EMS.

i photocopy about 25 copies of my passport, visa, etc. and file them away. i always have all supplies on hand; i.e. envelopes, stamps, registered stickers, printed labels with Immigration address, etc. so every 90-days i just grab a set, put it together along with the slip and hand it to our postman. very easy when you have everything ready at home. no trips to the P.O., photocopy shop, etc.

I might add that it used to take up to 30 days to get the new slip back, but over the last year they have become extremely efficient and it usually comes back now in 4-8 days.

Edited by Oscar2
  • Like 2

Why are standards so dramatically different between Pattaya and Chiang Mai?

Number of people and inadequate facilities and insufficient staff.

It might have something to do with all the Burmese working in Chiang Mai. That probably uses a lot of resources.

but not that much different to all the Cambodians and Russians working in Pattaya?

Edited by Asiantravel

just be sure to use rong tabien (registered post) both sending and affix a registered sticker to the return envelope. do NOT use EMS.

What's the problem with using EMS?

takes about 5 days to deliver as it goes to main Lamphun sorting center first to be entered into the system.

also if a EMS delivery is attempted on a Saturday when a business is closed, they will often send it back to Lamphun (again). twice this year they attempted to deliver EMS to my stock broker in Bangkok on a Saturday when they are obviously closed. ended up taking about 8 days each time to get delivered to Bangkok. registered post arrives in C.M. locations next day.

• Like 1