Immigration office is officially broken..

LivinLOS

I also forgot to mention that they used to have a nice little snack bar out the back, you could get a quick meal or a drink. Now they have rented most of the space behind the counters to some shit coffee bar that sells overpriced crap, like Starfucks. The place that used to sell food and drink is now a full blown photocopy shop! ( They make you go there when they deliberately loose one of your photocopies at immigration, just so you have to pay their <deleted> mates 2 Baht a pop!)
and it's the only spot in just about the entire city that doesn't have some decent snack food out front, kind of like outlawing tailgating at a football game. And the service station across the street doesn't sell anything. I've even strolled over to the airport and gone through security, instead of lingering in that miserable place. No telling what kind of toilets they have, but likely disgusting.

Next time you go to the airport get on a plane and go somewhere that has toilets you like.

Can't imagine the amount of booze a man must consume daily to not care about clean toilets, but it must be a lot.[/quote)

The toilet is usually fine but no, clean toilets are not high on my list of considerations here and haven't had any booze for years.

Hate to admit it but am coming to be in agreement with Mapguy-"If you don't like it then please leave"

• Like 1

Here's an idea to reduce the queues.

The space in the office isn't big enough for more staff. Whilst waiting for a possible new building, why don't they send immigration officers out to do annual extensions (3 month in case of Ed visas) to places foreigners work - the universities, the schools; and to the language centers. This would free up officers at the office to process marriage and retirement visas, would reduce the mass scrum, and with the universities, schools and language centers knowing when the officials are coming and, in most cases, knowing the paperwork requirements, all should be fairly quick and they'd only need to employ another two immigration officers.

Excellent idea.

Except Bangkok does the hiring and they have allowed 14 new staff but failed to hire them.

People should complain to the people responsible. It does no good to complain on Thai Visa or to the Immigration in Chiang Mai. They are far and away more knowledgeable about the problems. You can come up with all kinds of systems to handle the lines but it is still going to take just as long to process it.

If people are really concerned with it they can make sure that they have all their papers filled out properly and the proper pieces of information when they arrive. I realize that is some times not easily done for the marriage extensions or the original one. I have heard of some pretty strange requests from them but the others are as a rule a straight forward project. Mail in the 90 day reports.

For the extension in the last three years I was number 66 one year there was one behind me who got his done. This year I had an appointment. Got it through luck not long range planning and one year I had #15 at 10:30 they announced any one with over #17 come back in the afternoon. I am quite sure that they had people there who were unprepared and they took the time to help them prepare properly.

That is another thing they could do if you are not properly prepared send you home to get prepared and move on to the next in line.

I have never checked into it but if you tell the people at the photo copier what you are applying for I believe they would know what needs photo copying. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

A new one is being built but it wont be online for a couple of years.

thats very interesting news

would u care to share , with a reply, to where is the location of this new immgr dept ,that u say ^^^^^ is presently being built

a beautiful afternoon to allsmile.png

Actually construction has not began but Immigration has mooted the idea of locating it conveniently near one of the new sky train stops... coffee1.gif

yes they were my thoughts too

but two posts on this thread, L.O.S. has said otherwise

sure he will be along to clarify, in due coursesmile.png

there are two sides to the coin over years have gone in and greet with respect the officers and now go to one of them and do a 90day in 10mins

with a smile both ways year report leave pick up next day now this thing about cm office goes on and on over many posts over the years

the other side put yourself in there shoes every day have to put up with cranky rude farts and no all backpackers

now i have never seen a officer back chat in a rude way to anyone

go to frangland and apply for visa extension to stay in oz can take weeks with paper work

so be nice and enjoy THERE WAY OF LIFE

• Like 1

Foreigners can't do much to improve things, but there are some things to improve the general unpleasant situation.

Among the suggestions above is to mail in 90-day reports; please, please don't visit the office. That should make the office less crowded and more pleasant, save time and fuel, keep the blood pressure below boiling!

It really is simple. Just follow the simple instructions in the pinned thread above. They works just fine.

Also, to reinforce what others have said: be prepared, do your homework ahead of time. There's all sorts of guidance on that. That works just fine, too, unless you have an unusual case. An interview, for example, with proper preparation normally takes about ten minutes for a retirement or dependent extension of stay. Switching extensions-of-stay to new passports also takes less than ten minutes. Switching visas does take more investigation, and that is one case where an agent could be very useful.

To help answer any questions an officer might have, also have proper backup handy. One is proof of residence. Another rarely asked for is proof of pensions (government pensions preferred!) to back up an affidavit. Those seeking marriage extensions have more to put up with.

And getting re-entry permits upon exiting from the airport seems to have been affirmed; no need to crowd the office. And whoever said you can't get re-entry permits when traveling by land? This, however, might bring on palpitations.

Foreigners can't do much to improve things, but there are some things to improve the general unpleasant situation.

Among the suggestions above is to mail in 90-day reports; please, please don't visit the office. That should make the office less crowded and more pleasant, save time and fuel, keep the blood pressure below boiling!

It really is simple. Just follow the simple instructions in the pinned thread above. They works just fine.

Also, to reinforce what others have said: be prepared, do your homework ahead of time. There's all sorts of guidance on that. That works just fine, too, unless you have an unusual case. An interview, for example, with proper preparation normally takes about ten minutes for a retirement or dependent extension of stay. Switching extensions-of-stay to new passports also takes less than ten minutes. Switching visas does take more investigation, and that is one case where an agent could be very useful.

To help answer any questions an officer might have, also have proper backup handy. One is proof of residence. Another rarely asked for is proof of pensions (government pensions preferred!) to back up an affidavit. Those seeking marriage extensions have more to put up with.

And getting re-entry permits upon exiting from the airport seems to have been affirmed; no need to crowd the office. And whoever said you can't get re-entry permits when traveling by land? This, however, might bring on palpitations.

all the above is fine in theory, but in practice????, come on, stop sugar coating the present set up in place, at the zoo,which is a fluffing mess

and the buck stops with the head honchos of the zoo, nobody else

getting a spot at 4.am to have your visa affairs taken care of , is a disgrace to any alien, gosh its approaching 2015,and the zoo is a real laurel and hardy gig

and the head hochos could nt give a stuff, they just luv taken the aliens baht, simple as that

Edited by evenstevens
  • Like 1

Why can't immigration here do the same as Chiang Rai immigration before they opened new facilities... Have a outreach annex in on of the malls one day a week for expatriate services like 90 day reporting and extensions... I'm sure any of the malls would provide space free of charge (KSK could provide a whole floor if needed!)...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 2

all the above is fine in theory, but in practice????, come on, stop sugar coating the present set up in place, at the zoo,which is a fluffing mess

getting a spot at 4.am to have your visa affairs taken care of , is a disgrace to any alien, gosh its approaching 2015,and the zoo is a real laurel and hardy gig

and the head hochos could nt give a stuff, they just luv taken the aliens baht, simple as that

I think there's a lot of truth in that statement.

It's only those who need to get there at 4am who are worrying, the immigration officers have only just turned over in their beds and couldn't care less. Truth be known, they probably enjoy looking out at the sweaty foreign masses, makes the job enjoyable.

• Like 1

I think there's a lot of truth in that statement.

It's only those who need to get there at 4am who are worrying, the immigration officers have only just turned over in their beds and couldn't care less. Truth be known, they probably enjoy looking out at the sweaty foreign masses, makes the job enjoyable.

Got to love Thai Visa we have a guy on his high horse with a better than you know it all attitude to a guy who I am sure tongue in cheek insinuates that the immigration staff sleeps there.clap2.gif

As long as Immigration employees know farangs are willing to line up in the early dawn hours, pay any kind of fees, photocopy endless pages of anything to do what it takes to stay here… then, so be it.

They couldn’t give two hoots about our complaints. It’s their country, their rules – so deal with it.

Why should they make it any easier for us to stay here? We are just an annoyance to them.

As long as Immigration employees know farangs are willing to line up in the early dawn hours, pay any kind of fees, photocopy endless pages of anything to do what it takes to stay here… then, so be it.

They couldn’t give two hoots about our complaints. It’s their country, their rules – so deal with it.

Why should they make it any easier for us to stay here? We are just an annoyance to them.

You might want to reconsider the word willing. It doesn't quite match the rest of your post. Never been there at 4:00 in the morning how big is the line?

In a round about way you are saying that Thailand is a wonderful place to live for some. I am one of those who agree it is a wonderful place to live and I have never had to get in line at 4:00 in the morning.

Got to love Thai Visa we have a guy on his high horse with a better than you know it all attitude to a guy who I am sure tongue in cheek insinuates that the immigration staff sleeps there.clap2.gif

Don't many of the Immigration staff live just behind the office?

What is someone, "on his high horse with a better than you know it all attitude" ? I can think of many posters I would consider in that category.

• Like 1

What is someone, "on his high horse with a better than you know it all attitude" ? I can think of many posters I would consider in that category.

Yes, they do have housing for some of their employees.... to the right of the copy shop....

TRUJILLO - yes, new day, new number.

If you take a number on one day and they don't get to you, do you still have the same number the next day, or do you have to pick a new number?

They will just hand out a set number of queue tickets each day for each service and then they will stay at the office until they serve everyone who received a queue ticket that day. So, if you get a queue ticket, you'll be served that day.

But, just because you're in line before they open, you can't be assured that you'll get a queue ticket. Some services, like retirement extensions, have a very small number of queue tickets each day and if you join the line "late", like after 7 am, you'll probably be told to come back the next day when you finally get to talk to an immigration officer at around 8:30 am. You won't be given a queue ticket for the next day, either. You'll just be told to come back. They won't tell you to come back earlier, but you should have figured that out by then.

Edited by NancyL

You might want to reconsider the word willing. It doesn't quite match the rest of your post. Never been there at 4:00 in the morning how big is the line?

In a round about way you are saying that Thailand is a wonderful place to live for some. I am one of those who agree it is a wonderful place to live and I have never had to get in line at 4:00 in the morning.

I once woke up at silly o clock when I had a visa task to do and thought as it was nice and cool, instead of doing my email and the like, would just head there with an iPad.. I probably got there at 5:30 ish.. Still pre dawn.. And yeah.. I wasnt first !!

He was German !!!

• Like 1

If you take a number on one day and they don't get to you, do you still have the same number the next day, or do you have to pick a new number?

Each day treated as a new start.. Thats a huge part of the problem.. Its a total scrum to grab a number with no system of allocation..

Some people I spoke to, and over heard, were there for the 3rd day !! Each morning starting again.

They will just hand out a set number of queue tickets each day for each service and then they will stay at the office until they serve everyone who received a queue ticket that day. So, if you get a queue ticket, you'll be served that day.

I was given a queue ticket that had no hope of being seen.. Didnt get half way to it by 4:30..

Maybe thats how it used to be ??

Earliest I have been was 6:45am and got number 48 (of the first set of numbers). I spoke to some and they had arrived at 4:00am.

Yes, this is a great place to live in many ways...just don't expect Immigration to revamp their ways for us... when and if they ever get proper funding from BKK Hqs. then the situation might change to improve the employees situation.

Earliest I have been was 6:45am and got number 48 (of the first set of numbers). I spoke to some and they had arrived at 4:00am.

Yes, this is a great place to live in many ways...just don't expect Immigration to revamp their ways for us... when and if they ever get proper funding from BKK Hqs. then the situation might change to improve the employees situation.

How many is some 2 or 3. How many days did you have to cover to come up with that number?

When they get the funding and have completed the process that it was meant to you will receive the benefit. What good would it do the employees if it didn't lesson their work load?

Edit

Forgot to mention when is the key word here.

Edited by northernjohn

Don't bother hml367, NJ might not know much about certain things but he certainly does like to write about them.

and very rarely on the money

• Like 2

I've done two 90 day reports by mail. The first self addressed return envelope without registered sticker took about 16 days from Immigration to my place across town. This last report, with both envelopes registered, took 5 days for the entire process.

In addition to the documents in the pinned topic here I also include a cover sheet with a list of all everything in the envelope. It's helpful to me (I check off each sheet) and may be helpful to the Immigration staff too.

Why can't immigration here do the same as Chiang Rai immigration before they opened new facilities... Have a outreach annex in on of the malls one day a week for expatriate services like 90 day reporting and extensions... I'm sure any of the malls would provide space free of charge (KSK could provide a whole floor if needed!)...

Almost next door at the rear of Airport Plaza Mall is an enormous unused carpark next to and behind the warehouse type stores. Less than 5 minutes walk away from immigration office.