High Prices at Rimping Supermarkets

klaus80

I've noticed that some items I buy at Rimping are much cheaper at other shops. For example:

anchor butter 225g
rimping 109 baht
yok 78 baht (28% cheaper)

anchor uht cream 1L
rimping 225 baht
yok 160 baht (29% cheaper)

dairyhome organic milk 1L
rimping 85 baht
tops 70 baht (18% cheaper)

jazz red apples
rimping 6for79 baht
makro 10for99 baht (25% cheaper)

Anyone else found things at Rimping that you can buy significantly cheaper elsewhere?

• Like 2

I haven't found anything at Rimping that I could NOT buy cheaper elsewhere. Milk is 30 per liter at CMU, milked same day.

Milk at cmu, fresh. Haven't heard of it. What's the source of the milk? Uni student breast?

Have you seen the size of the udders on some of the soi dogs???

Some of us know the best cheap deals at Rimping, one I'll keep secret as it's already too well known and often out of stock. BigC stock it @ 50% extra cost.

One I'll share is ACE frozen French Fries @ 105bt ... up to 50Bt cheaper than elsewhere. That's a huge saving.

the wife is an expert at finding things cheap at Rimping. she goes to Promenada, Mae Ping and Meechok and finds different things at different stores. she also knows a couple of the ladies who work there and often they will tip her off to some real bargains.wink.png if the deal is so good she will often buy (in the case of canned goods) 40+ cans. the other day she loaded up her car with Swiss Christmas chocolates, cookies, etc. for business associates of hers after checking prices everywhere she was certain she had a bargain. often items at Rimping are cheaper than Big C, Lotus, etc. we like YOK but you have to look quite hard to find a real bargain there. but sometimes they have something really good like Spanish olive oil for prices as much as 40% lower than anywhere else. they buy many, many cases and it only lasts a couple of days. we've been using the same batch of olive oil from YOK for about 2 years now.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I marvel at people who buy vegetables at the Rimping on the intersection of the Mae Jo Road and the Ring Road (Meechok Plaza), when they could walk 100 meters to the Ruamchok Market -- which is a wet market -- and get everything at a fraction of the price.

Sure, Rimping has a few specialty items, but basically their fresh produce and meat/fish prices are just short of a stiff poke in the eye.

And you could make the same comparison between Big C and Lotus compared to Rimping. Next.......

The pesticide issue is a bit like the on going discussion of quality of bottled drinking water.Unless you are going to have everything tested that comes into your kitchen you will never know ,its just taking someone's word for it and I wouldn't trust any supermarket or supplier.

We had a classic case in Australia recently when Coles ,a supermarket giant, were found guilty of advertising "fresh daily" apples when in fact they had been in cold storage for 6 months and treated with a chemical to preserve them.Coles argument was that if a product was out of season and you wanted year round supply that's the price you pay.

We buy our veges from Mae Hia market ,certainly not Rimping next door whose stock looks tired and highly priced,and are assured by our regular supplier her veges come from the Kings Project just down the road at Doi Kham.

I trust that info is correct but they are washed, and washed by my wife as soon as they reach home.

• Like 1

I haven't found anything at Rimping that I could NOT buy cheaper elsewhere. Milk is 30 per liter at CMU, milked same day.

Wow, I could drive 6 kilometers there and 6 back and spend an hour on the road and I'd save 12 baht per liter. Maybe if gas goes down to 1 baht per liter I might even come out ahead if I don't count the time wasted.

• Like 2

The pesticide issue is a bit like the on going discussion of quality of bottled drinking water.Unless you are going to have everything tested that comes into your kitchen you will never know ,its just taking someone's word for it and I wouldn't trust any supermarket or supplier.

We had a classic case in Australia recently when Coles ,a supermarket giant, were found guilty of advertising "fresh daily" apples when in fact they had been in cold storage for 6 months and treated with a chemical to preserve them.Coles argument was that if a product was out of season and you wanted year round supply that's the price you pay.

We buy our veges from Mae Hia market ,certainly not Rimping next door whose stock looks tired and highly priced,and are assured by our regular supplier her veges come from the Kings Project just down the road at Doi Kham.

I trust that info is correct but they are washed, and washed by my wife as soon as they reach home.

We also buy Kings Project vegetables whenever possible. There used to be a group of vendors that sold only Royal Project produce next to Girasole Restaurant every Friday morning for prices cheaper than Mae Hia or anywhere. They were there for years. People were queued up waiting for them. They would sell their entire stock of a huge variety in about 1 hour. It got to be a bit of a scene and now, they are no longer there. Sometimes they have Royal Project for sale like that at Airport Plaza, out in back of Nakhornping Hospital and a few other places but not the same variety as the sellers that use to come on Fridays.

If it's a "farang" trap why it it I see more Thai people and, depending on the time of day, more Japanese people, at the Rim Ping stores I visit? The OP has W-A-Y too much time on his hands and has made a real name for himself with his first post on ThaiVisa.

• Like 2

If you buy at RimPing you pay more - Get used to to it! It's a farang trap - It's designed that way.

It's a trap! A farang one at that. Are the majority of Thais that shop there also ensnared? What bait are they using?

lol what a joke! it's probably 80% Thai clientele there.

I prefer a more honest company like Tesco that puts its 44 gram bags of chips on sale for 17.50 thb, while the fresh ones are in 27 gram bags for 10 thb....I hope those Brit pensioners aren't missing their dividends checks too much, but I can kind of see why they are going down the drain and were laughed out of the USA.

If it's a "farang" trap why it it I see more Thai people and, depending on the time of day, more Japanese people, at the Rim Ping stores I visit? The OP has W-A-Y too much time on his hands and has made a real name for himself with his first post on ThaiVisa.

You probably see more Thais because you're not looking through the eyes of a paranoid cynic.

"Farang trap" lol that is hilarious.

Rimping is a pleasure to shop at. The other day an employee came over and explained the different tastes of the different cantaloupe, he had excellent English, great service. Standard items are on a par with elsewhere but it is certainly a place to seek out bargains.

My only complaint is that they usually don't have egg salad for my sandwiches :(