Chinese passenger opens emergency exit 'to get some fresh air' as plane prepares for take-off

webfact

Why on this forum, people cannot be identified by something else that their nationality ?

A chinese blabla

A Norvegian blabla

Thai people blabla

Myanmar blabla

Then we have comments like : "i take back all the negative comments i made about thais, seems chinese take the cake" or "the Chinese should not be seated anywhere on an aircraft" ...

And after I see complaining about thai being racist ?

I think this forum has a problem

But I am open to discussion.

Cheers

C.H

Right, so what do you want do use as the identifier then? Body weight? IQ? Sexual orientation? Number of tattoos and piercings? Number of books read the last year? Income? Number of posts in the forum? Preferred dresscode? Religion? Meal preferences?

I can't see any problem doing generalisations of how a certain ethnicity from a certain social group behaves in general. As long as it is understood that it's an average and cannot be used for a specific individual.

Actualy it would be less discrimantn to say "passenger"...

"I can't see any problem doing generalisations of how a certain ethnicity from a certain social group behaves in general"... Doing generalisation on 1 billion chinese ? do you think only 50% of them would open the door in a plane ? or even 5% ?

Dont you get upset when people call you "farang" ? Do you accept to be in the same bag as all the farangs living here ?

I think the national identification thing is not from this forum but a factor of the source of the news feeds. I have noticed a tendency for Thai news to also focus on national identification in reporting events.

I like your comment and I think your suggestion that the person concerned by identified as a passenger is sensible. I think the national identification opens the door for racial interpretations on events and from there into stereotyping.

Immediately I read this article I started to think of the other unsocial things I have seen Chinese people do. It is not such a large step from that to assume these things are racial characteristics. I see a lot of racism expressed on many threads. I think your suggestions are positive steps to address this.

Thanks smile.png

For sure thai news (and even a large part of thai population) have this problem, that's why we must be vigilant and not do the same which actualy shows a lot of ignorance wink.png ... and which can actualy make you hate the country where you live.

Edited by Cheap High

Different upbringings in different cultures/countries makes people act and think differently. What is the problem with that? Are you suddenly racist if you acknowledge that fact?

Things completely natural for a old Chinese farmer is completely alien to a young billionaires daughter in New York. The farmer wouldn't think twice before taking a dump in a hole in the ground or cook a dog for dinner, but both things would be completely unthinkable for the girl.

Is that racist? No. Saying that you hate all black people is racist (and stupid) on the other hand.

If you can't acknowledge that people are acting different depending on their upbringing (and thusly their ethnicity since upbringing and ethnicity are tightly linked) then you must have a serious PC-complex.

• Like 1

Different upbringings in different cultures/countries makes people act and think differently. What is the problem with that? Are you suddenly racist if you acknowledge that fact?

Things completely natural for a old Chinese farmer is completely alien to a young billionaires daughter in New York. The farmer wouldn't think twice before taking a dump in a hole in the ground or cook a dog for dinner, but both things would be completely unthinkable for the girl.

Is that racist? No. Saying that you hate all black people is racist (and stupid) on the other hand.

If you can't acknowledge that people are acting different depending on their upbringing (and thusly their ethnicity since upbringing and ethnicity are tightly linked) then you must have a serious PC-complex.

I don't think anyone is saying that people in different countries don't have differences and that these cannot be described. What starts down the road to racism is generalising the features of a few and applying them to everyone else of that nationality. The differences you describe in your example are actually socio-economic and not racial. It is immaterial that one is Chinese and one is American in your example.

All I am saying in response to the other poster's observation is that starting from the point of identifying nationality may have some influence in people making racially based interpretations of such events. The same argument happened during the 'gender wars' when job descriptions became gender neutral - air hostess became flight attendant etc. This was a concerted effort to remove gender stereotypes. Maybe something similar would help reduce racism?

Edited by Tep

Yes I think 60 years of communist make them crazy about opening planes doors wink.png

What about "A norvegian killed his Norvegian friend" ? Is there a ethnic reason make Norvegians killing each other ?

You can do generalities and say "Americans are fat", but putting all the chineses in the same bag because one did something stupid once it's a nonsense.

NB : I have nothing against Americans

Edited by Cheap High

Strange as I heard this was on landing and taxing to the gate when the doors could have been disarmed - would not be possible after doors had been shut and armed after leaving stand.

Emergency doors cant be opened once the wheels are up, this wasn't the case here

That seems very unlikely to me. You really think you're not able to open the emergency doors if the landing gears hasn't deployed - like on a water landing or some other mechanical failure?

The usual stated reason for not being able to open the doors while in the air is the pressure differential between the cabin and outside air. You're simply not strong enough to open the door.

That is true.

Shortly after take off, the aircraft will be pressurized and you will not be able to open the doors.

For smoke evacuation in case of a fire, the pilots can depressurize the cabin and the door seals will deflate allowing some smoke to escape out the now not completely sealed doors.

This will normally be done at lower altitudes and speeds.

Cabin pressure will also go to match the outside air pressure during landing for making it possible to open the emergency doors in case of an emergency evacuation after landing.

regards

Hi,

The guy should have used the spit bag.

The cabin crew will arm the evacuation slides, generally prior to or during pushback. This does not lock the doors.

The aircraft will pressurise slightly during the take off roll. The door flight locks automatically engage at 80 knots.

The doors can be opened after take off when there is a low differential pressure of approximately 1.5 PSI but only when the flight locks are not working.

Smoke evacuation on an aircraft is not via the door seals. There are large valves fitted to the front and rear for that purpose.

A blown slide will result in that slide being removed and if unable to repair will result in that door not being usable for passenger evacuation. That may have an impact on how many passengers can be carried depending on which door is affected. Less seats at the front of an aircraft due to first class may result in no change to the passengers carried. If it is a door at the rear of the aircraft you may have to block off a large amount of seats depending on the aircraft configuration !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Beneath all the overpriced real estate. Beneath the Tofu bridges, roads, railways, and buildings. Beneath the empty ghost cities and mega construction projects. Beneath the intentional poisoning of baby formula and other foods with substitute ingredients in order to make every last penny. Beneath the toxic devastation of rivers, lakes, and forests. Beneath the encroaching desertification. Beneath all of that lies 500 million or so uncouth, uneducated Chinese newbies with a little money in their pocket who are ready to brawl on airplanes, trash hotels, attack airline personnel, and open airplane exits in mid flight. These are the people who will reverse Chinese corruption and make China into the 21st century's superpower. Right.

No, that will be their educated, polite children with a lot more money in their pockets, who will know about airplane safety, wont dream about trashing things,attacking people or doing something so ignorant as opening the door of an airplane, who will do that. The transition from peasant farmers to factory workers has been remarkably fast and there are some social problems as a result but, consider the emphasis on education and you can get an idea of what the future will hold for the next generation.

No matter how educated, prosperous or socialized, the fact is the place is subcultural. It remains closed to the outside world except for some economics, some finance, and some English for certain college and university students.

We're talking sub-cultural in the globalized and ever globalizing world.

You can take the peasant out of the countryside but you can't take the peasant out of the peasant.

For a rundown of recent events ... alt=biggrin.png>

Years ago, while living in Hong Kong, I traveled by ferry from one of the islands. During a holiday period, the ferry would be very crowded and people were advised to stay seated until the ferry was berthed at the pier. Most didn't listen and rushed the exits, which are all on the same side. It caused the 3 story high ferry to list dangerously toward one side, with the upper portion actually hitting the top of the pier building. In spite of the situation, people refused to move away from the exits and the process of getting people took nearly an hour with police having to board the boat and physically force people away from the exits.

On one of my first flights from HK to Thailand, many people unbuckled, opened the overhead bins and tried to get to the exit while the plane was landing. It created absolute chaos, stuff was falling and air hostesses were trying to make people sit down. It wasn't just a few, it was a lot of people. Once a couple got up, it seemed like it triggered a stampede. The air hostesses looked like they were trying to herd cats!

I traveled a lot on Mainland China, which was also chaotic, but the officials there didn't mess around. If they told you to move, you moved.

Quite scary. Sometimes when West meets East, it makes for some interesting experiences.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Beneath all the overpriced real estate. Beneath the Tofu bridges, roads, railways, and buildings. Beneath the empty ghost cities and mega construction projects. Beneath the intentional poisoning of baby formula and other foods with substitute ingredients in order to make every last penny. Beneath the toxic devastation of rivers, lakes, and forests. Beneath the encroaching desertification. Beneath all of that lies 500 million or so uncouth, uneducated Chinese newbies with a little money in their pocket who are ready to brawl on airplanes, trash hotels, attack airline personnel, and open airplane exits in mid flight. These are the people who will reverse Chinese corruption and make China into the 21st century's superpower. Right.

No, that will be their educated, polite children with a lot more money in their pockets, who will know about airplane safety, wont dream about trashing things,attacking people or doing something so ignorant as opening the door of an airplane, who will do that. The transition from peasant farmers to factory workers has been remarkably fast and there are some social problems as a result but, consider the emphasis on education and you can get an idea of what the future will hold for the next generation.

No matter how educated, prosperous or socialized, the fact is the place is subcultural. It remains closed to the outside world except for some economics, some finance, and some English for certain college and university students.

We're talking sub-cultural in the globalized and ever globalizing world.

You can take the peasant out of the countryside but you can't take the peasant out of the peasant.

For a rundown of recent events ... alt=biggrin.png>

You horrible bigot.

If 10% of chinese are idiots that is 130 MILLION idiots. If 10% of Americans are idiots that is 33 Million. If 10% of Brits are idiots that's only about 6 Million.
The more people you have, the more idiots you have . Being an idiot is not limited by geographic borders.
Add to the equation the lack of exposure to modern machines and technology ....like an airplane is for BILLIONS of people on the planet and it's surprising that there aren't more incidents like this. Easy for those of us that grew up in advanced countries to point to the country bumpkins. I'm sure a lot of teens look at older people struggling with computers and think "geez what an idiot".
None of us should get too high and mighty about who has the biggest idiots. I suspect that all countries have their fair share.