Thai price / Foreigner price

johncat1

OP, I'm against the 2 tier prices also.

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

Recently, after obtaining the Yellow book, I pay Thai prices.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

I'm afraid that's very Thai logic you're spouting - discrimination (of any sort) on the basis of race is RACISM..............get it?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Why can't people be proud of their race? Why should some people be treated as special simply because of their race?

Leave your political correctness back home and deal with the reality you live in.

Some races don't like other races (no matter how hard the left wing pundits try and convince us that they do), and never have and never will.

Sure many times in everyday life there is a veneer of acceptance/tolerance by some race to another race - but when the sh!t hits the fan reality kicks in.

Point in case the recent white cop killings in the US. The black people are up in arms simply because the cops are white. Not because a cop has done the job he is paid to do. I doubt there would be much said if the cop had been black or the victims white.

Call it what you will - racism or whatever - I call it reality.

• Like 2

I think in "most" of these places it's effectively a discounted Resident's Price and Non-Resident's Price. Pretty much the same as happens all over the planet.

ScreenShot2014-12-26at093937am_zps61a921

This is not the same! Like California, this prices are purchased at Bulk for their theme parks which are attractive to Residents during the summer which are like season passes. Visitors would not benefit from the purchase since they visit once only. Like Six flags you can purchase these passes and use them at any of their theme parks attractions throughout the summer months with limited or unlimited visits. These passes also allows residents not to have to wait in line.

Edited by thailand49

Suradit69 post # 33.

And how the Farang loss of face syndrome can elevate the trivial to a mountain of hot gas.

Is it racist and greedy that virtually all farang visitors and residents live a comfortable life well beyond anything that the majority of Thais will ever experience?

Do not forget that the general living expenses in 'developed countries''far exceed those here in Thailand.Yet people prosper, little or no corruption free enterprise encouraged and a decent education system to name just three advantages.
So Suradit 69 what are you doing or what have you done to assist in improving the quality of life for those Thai's tht you may employ or even come into contact with?
You of course accept without a qualm a triple price fee for you being a foreigner, or are you a Thai who isn't actually affected by such mundane trivial matters as you seem to see them?
  • Like 1

I think in "most" of these places it's effectively a discounted Resident's Price and Non-Resident's Price. Pretty much the same as happens all over the planet.

No problem in Florida as it is based on residency in the state of Florida and not your etnhic look.

If Thailand would apply the same principle there would probably be no complaining.

Thai ID card or Thai driver's licence should give you the local price. ( most place I went in Thailand with my Thai driver's license give mrethe local price except

a few greedy one.

• Like 1

First of all it is not racist, as it is up to the nationality not the race.

Second it is common around the world......In famous ski areas the locals even pay less for the beer in the restaurants than the tourists.

Wish you had told me this when I owned a restaurant in the snow area of Lake Tahoe. Never knew I could charge people not looking like Americans more. That would be racist, because charging an Asian a higher price without knowing if he was an American would be wrong. I never saw it done in the states anywhere, although I am sure you can find some dumps that do it. Oh well....

Pricing based on nationality are illegal in the U.S. and the U.K.

• Like 1

Racism? Maybe or maybe it was subsidized by the public purse in which case they have a right to charge a two tier system. I've been to two national parks and Sriracha tiger zoo where one flash of my work permit and they've charged me the Thai national amount without hesitation.

Whilst on a school trip to Korat Zoo I saw a very sad example of how racist and greedy Thai people really are.

We all know about the two tier pricing system in Thailand. Thai price and foreigner price. But Korat Zoo have gone one step further and charge foreign children a higher price than Thai children and they proudly display these charges. PURE GREED AND RACISM !!

​ Apologies for spelling error in Topic title but cannot correct

Clearly you don't understand irony....I found it amusing you ranting about racism while claiming Thai people are racist and greedy as though every one of the 75million share the same exact attitude, some people may deem that opinion racist.

If anyone not happy with a 2 tier price system....simple don't pay for it....nothing to do with racism...if one travels near and far one would know thailand is not the only country...bah.gif

Try getting a cab in Malaysia. They'll take every Muslim in the queue before they'll take you.

I always go on about the Uk, but it could have been worse. I could have been born in Malaysia.

• Like 1

Second it is common around the world......In famous ski areas the locals even pay less for the beer in the restaurants than the tourists.

Wish you had told me this when I owned a restaurant in the snow area of Lake Tahoe. Never knew I could charge people not looking like Americans more. That would be racist, because charging an Asian a higher price without knowing if he was an American would be wrong. I never saw it done in the states anywhere, although I am sure you can find some dumps that do it. Oh well....

Very common, but not on nationality, on appearance, dialect, etc.. In the very west of Austria with a local friend we were always ordered to shut up. He with local dialect paid half of what Germans or East Austrians would pay. My parents skiing in East Austria once got from the service the not diluted Schnaps and the local peoples price because they came so often there that he told they are almost locals already laugh.png

Common practice legal or not. A lot jokes about the Germans pay the double, and the Japanese even more......

It's not about race. And certainly has nothing to do with age. It's about tax dollars. Public facilities like the Korat Zoo are paid for with tax dollars. Thai tax dollars. If you're able to show a work permit or sometimes just a non-B, you can pay the Thai rate at those facilities. Usually. Every once in a while you get a ticket vendor that's not familiar with that policy...

That's a very linear view. You could argue tax dollars at places like that but the fact is nice restaurants do it, as do private entertainment shows, not adult and not related to the government what-so-ever.

Please, if you're going to spew information, at least make them facts. Nothing like paying double price for a buffet. mmm, I sure hope their taxes paid for the bolognese that went on it.

this is thailand not the UK or US,

like many have said, dont go to these places if you dont want to pay,

or better still next time your on your holidays, get a thai driving license,,,

Pricing based on citizenship is not racist - get off your soap boxes.

Become a citizen and pay Thai price.

Since most visitors are better off than average Thais I do not mind paying more to subsidize entry to poorer Thais.

Besides, I am not greedy enough to raise hell about extra $1 or even $5 :)

• Like 2

Met my now wife 7years ago when she was studying at a UK university.....she was paying more than a British person was on the same course......RACISM booooooo, or hold on maybe it was because that University had been given government grants paid for by the British tax payer which she wasn't.

Some people just love to have a pop, I'm now going to challenge my wife as to whether she's a greedy (I live in her condo rent free) racist (married me) just like the OP claims that all Thais are.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, I'm against the 2 tier prices also.

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

Recently, after obtaining the Yellow book, I pay Thai prices.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

I'm afraid that's very Thai logic you're spouting - discrimination (of any sort) on the basis of race is RACISM..............get it?

To be honest the yellow house book is useless now apart from another form of ID. I went to the hospital for a lower back treatment and found out that as I am not from Thailand/ Loas / Cambodia or Myanmar I will still have to pay full charges. No more getting the same as a Thai. Supposedly this honor to farangs holding a yellow house book was taken away as soon as the coup began but was not let known to the farang general populous. I would not have minded if they had fixed my back but they didn't and now after paying the full price I have to travel in as an out-patient.

Actually, The Yellow Book and the Thai Drivers license have been sporadically ineffective for years. Sometimes they will be excepted- sometimes they won't. Thailand1 The onlt thing that stays the same is.......change.

It does not happen all over the planet

Most countries respect tourists and try to encourage repeat business

• Like 1

You will never see a 2 tier system in the US.

It's not about race. And certainly has nothing to do with age. It's about tax dollars. Public facilities like the Korat Zoo are paid for with tax dollars. Thai tax dollars. If you're able to show a work permit or sometimes just a non-B, you can pay the Thai rate at those facilities. Usually. Every once in a while you get a ticket vendor that's not familiar with that policy...

If we're talking about tax, for those of us who have retired here, we're also paying tax. GST.

100% of my income is spent here, therefore I'm also paying tax.

Unlike many other countries, including China, we get no discount for being a pensioner. Many places of interest in China also have free admission to parks.

For all that, I much prefer living here in Thailand. wai.gif

Yes it is not fair or friendly according to our standards. It is really an insult to Thai's that they are so poor they cannot afford the real entrance fee, but we superior foreigners with more wealth have to support them all.

The money could be used for something good and I am happy to donate on that basis.

It can make me feel bad. I have to pay 8$ to visit Shwe Dagon pagoda Yangon when it is free for locals.

I just go less and in the case of a Buddhist shrine it detracts from the religious experience. Surely all the Buddhists in Myanmar are donating enough to support this pagoda? I am a buddhist but that does not help me.

When I first came here everything like that was free, but not anymore. Now the dollar is our religion and dont you forget it.

We take refuge in it, worship it and will do anything to get it.

We are all just monkeys fighting over bananas smile.png

I still have a few bananas left over though.

• Like 1