Internet

loppylugs1

it just gets slower and slower, dropping lines constantly, just seems a waste of time getting an upgrade to faster landline speed as it entails paying a lot more for a little more. 4g may not be far off so junking the computer and a giant phone maybe the answer.

For what is supposed to be an advanced nation it belongs in bongo-bongo land (internet wise)

• Like 1

It depends upon what you're looking for. I don't have need for a lot of complex activity on the internet. I don't do much, if any, "surfing" across a lot of sites. I have 3 primary uses for the internet. Email, of course, occupies most of my online time. Second, I download, no most, but all of the TV shows and movies I watch via uTorrent; and replay them on the VLC Media Player. Third, I'm an "over the top" NFL fan, so I subscribe to NFL "Game Pass", which streams NFL games either live, or on replay. That works here with very few breaks in the nearly perfect viedo quality.

I live on the Darkside, near the east end of Nernplubwarn. My ISP has been 3BB for about the last 4 years; and they give me all the speed I need for the uses noted above; usually just below 3 Mbps from a USA server. I'm on a program they no longer offer, which was called "International Deluxe", or something like that, which promised 10 Mbps for Thailand, and 3 Mbps for international. So it's been pretty close. Cost is 1166 per month. Allowing for the fact that this IS Thailand, I've been very satisfied, overall, with 3BB since I switched to them from the overpriced CAT 4 years ago.

I'm with Patsfanger.

I live on the darkside and have only ever had TOT landline for 7 years, with a 32 inch TV as my viewing device.

My internet is reliable and serves my purpose fine. E mail, banking, UKTV, streaming cricket from OZ etc etc. In fact, with a remote mouse and keyboard I can sit in the armchair and watch UK TV channels as clearly as in the UK - except of course for the time difference. I get most of my news from Channel 4, using the playback facility.

I admit though that I do nothing complicated (Dunno how to!)

Hope you can find a decent option.

My ISP has been 3BB for about the last 4 years; and they give me all the speed I need for the uses noted above; usually just below 3 Mbps from a USA server. I'm on a program they no longer offer, which was called "International Deluxe", or something like that, which promised 10 Mbps for Thailand, and 3 Mbps for international. So it's been pretty close. Cost is 1166 per month.

I had the same package. Bit it was called "premier". Finally i decided to switch to the standard package 13/1MB and recognized, that the speed was even better. So, no reason to use the expensive premier package.

Actually, i suffer under the bad ping to US, but for this we can't do anything.

Too many tourists now at high season?

I am often surprised about the reports that described the irregular perfomance in Pattaya.

Here in upcountry it works as usual (and not too bad).

As usual: slowdown when the kids are out of school, early evenings and most of Sunday.

• Like 1

Finally i decided to switch to the standard package 13/1MB and recognized, that the speed was even better.

That "standard package" is in fact 15MB/1MB now wink.png

http://www.3bb.co.th/uploads/%20%20%20%20%20ตารางPackage3BB-Eng_edit29Oct2014_1.png

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/details/2086

Edit: Why does ThaiVisa refuse .png images ??

My ISP has been 3BB for about the last 4 years; and they give me all the speed I need for the uses noted above; usually just below 3 Mbps from a USA server. I'm on a program they no longer offer, which was called "International Deluxe", or something like that, which promised 10 Mbps for Thailand, and 3 Mbps for international. So it's been pretty close. Cost is 1166 per month.

I had the same package. Bit it was called "premier". Finally i decided to switch to the standard package 13/1MB and recognized, that the speed was even better. So, no reason to use the expensive premier package.

Actually, i suffer under the bad ping to US, but for this we can't do anything.

We all suffer from a bad ping to the US. That will never change no matter how fast your internet package is. The fastest you'll get is around 230 - 240 ms, which is the time it takes a signal to travel through cabling to the US and back... that's about what I get with a 50 Mbps Fiber Optic service. Even though European servers are closer, pings to there are usually worse. I suspect this is due to more junctions and bottlenecks along the way, compared to a single line under the Pacific Ocean.

You may find these tables interesting. It's the ping and latency measurements by Verizon in the US. http://www.verizonenterprise.com/about/network/latency/

The ping rates are in brackets in the first column. Malaysia transpacific is 230 ms. Interestingly Malaysia - UK is slower at 280 ms despite UK being nearly 3000 km closer to Malaysia than California. You'll notice in the table that all westward traffic from Asia to Europe is slower.

I just did some rough calculations (Yeah, too much time on my hands LOL). Assuming Thailand's Internet traffic heads south to join the Singapore - Hong Kong submarine line, the distance to LA would be about 32,000 km round trip. I read that Internet traffic moves at about 2/3 rd's the speed of light in fiber optic cabling, so unimpeded that would take about 160 ms rtt, Of course there are junctions and bottlenecks along the way to slow it down.

Even though European servers are closer, pings to there are usually worse. I suspect this is due to more junctions and bottlenecks along the way, compared to a single line under the Pacific Ocean.

Different reason I think.

If I analyze the traceroute to a German server it obviously goes through Singapore to Japan.

From there it gets difficult to analyze, but based on the current cable installations it goes through the US to Europe.

Many powerful cable connections eastbound through the Pacific.

So no wonder that it is slower.

There is only one continuous cable connection to Europe (SEA-ME-WE-4, 1.28 Tb/s).

Seems too small/expensive nowadays?

http://www.cablemap.info/

Seems like the powerful new connection through ROTACS (via the polar sea) is not setup yet?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/122989-1-5-billion-the-cost-of-cutting-london-toyko-latency-by-60ms

Edited by KhunBENQ

We all suffer from a bad ping to the US // The fastest you'll get is around 230 - 240 ms, which is the time it takes a signal to travel through cabling to the US and back... // Even though European servers are closer, pings to there are usually worse.

USA is a large country and ping is very irregular depending on where in USA is the server. I would say 230-300 ms for ping

For me Europe is always a little bit faster. I would say 210-240 ms

Edit: Right now I get 219 & 223 on 2 servers in France, and 216 ms on ping.ovh.net

I am at Pattaya with the 3BB 15MB package

You can probably win 10 or 20 ms in each case if you test from Bangkok ??

Edited by Pattaya46

We all suffer from a bad ping to the US // The fastest you'll get is around 230 - 240 ms, which is the time it takes a signal to travel through cabling to the US and back... // Even though European servers are closer, pings to there are usually worse.

USA is a large country and ping is very irregular depending on where in USA is the server. I would say 230-300 ms for ping

For me Europe is always a little bit faster. I would say 210-240 ms

Edit: Right now I get 219 & 223 on 2 servers in France, and 216 ms on ping.ovh.net

I am at Pattaya with the 3BB 15MB package

You can probably win 10 or 20 ms in each case if you test from Bangkok ??

True, the USA is a large country and I should have been more specific.... as I was referring to servers in California.

I can't test now as I'm in the Philippines on a slow DSL connection.

I remember there was something funky going on with 3BB speedtests to Bangkok. Looked like the results were cached to provide better numbers. I now use CAT fibre optic, which pings about 6 ms (average) to Bangkok from Pattaya.

Edited by tropo

I repeated this test several times in the past months with different test-tools (to Chicago). The outcome differs only about 10-20ms, while the current result 309ms is at the upper end.

113487119.png

Edited by alocacoc

I repeated this test several times in the past months with different test-tools (to Chicago). The outcome differs only about 10-20ms, while the current result 309ms is at the upper end.

113487119.png

It really is mostly down to distance and routing. US pings are quite predicable as there aren't too many junctions along the way (under the Pacific) and US interior cabling is efficient. For example, with a slow dsl connection in the Philippines and pinging from a province down south I get about 220 ms to California and 248 ms to Chicago. I'm about 2500 km east from Pattaya and all the US Internet traffic heads for Japan compared to Thailand US bound traffic which first heads south to Singapore. I get very slow pings to Europe from here (350 - 440 ms) as all the traffic is routed through the US.

• 3 weeks later...

Its not even surfing outside of Thailand,internally still the same. Had 3BB do a line check etc. now thinking the router.Read if two years or more new one needed, but does anyone know if I bought an all-in -one (modem and router combined) would it function?

Its not even surfing outside of Thailand,internally still the same. Had 3BB do a line check etc. now thinking the router.Read if two years or more new one needed, but does anyone know if I bought an all-in -one (modem and router combined) would it function?

3BB did a line check and said what? Your line was OK? Next time get them to come inside and try one of their modems. If it works, then you do need to go buy a new one. They don't all 'expire' after 2 years or more but they can go dodgy which can sometimes be sorted by doing either a factory reset or checking for new software and downloading and installing that.

Make sure that you have your 3BB username and password though. And check the modem setup for specific 3BB settings before doing any resets/updates.

The 3bb supplied adsl modems are crap and only offer wi fi 802.11g. I went to Powerbuy and bought a 802.11n adsl+2 modem/ router for about 800baht.

you need to have your 3bb username and password, change the service name to 3bb and it worked fine without any other adjustments made. The service personnel from 3bb wanted 2000 baht, it is not difficult to do it yourself. Can get even better 802.11 ac modems but none of my computers or phones support them so I didn't bother.

Thanks for advice ,yes 3BB are having yet another go,but does look as tho DNS settings are a problem,talking to them I figure they are well aware of router problems,Seems a bit daunting wading through the router settings,about 20 odd at rough guess, and will the required information be adequate OK if doing it every day,but as one off,a cock up maybe the outcome

Cannot see any difference between 10/.5 and 15/1 and and another poster stated the premium package was a waste of time

It is not that hard to set up a new router/modem, nearly all of them automate the set up, there was just the three things to do. Select 3bb as service provider. Enter username and password. Bingo everything worked fine. There is no need to manually adjust the settings.

The router i bought was TP-Link TD-W8961ND

It is not that hard to set up a new router/modem, nearly all of them automate the set up, there was just the three things to do. Select 3bb as service provider. Enter username and password. Bingo everything worked fine. There is no need to manually adjust the settings.

The router i bought was TP-Link TD-W8961ND

Thanks again. ill strangle the guy from 3BB first (when he eventually arrives) and go get another one.

The 3bb supplied adsl modems are crap and only offer wi fi 802.11g.

I went to Powerbuy and bought a 802.11n adsl+2 modem/ router for about 800baht.

Don't know what allow you to call them "crap" ??

3BB provided me a Billion BiPac 5200g R4 when I subscribed.

This router is now 5 years old but manage perfectly the 15-16 Mbps my connection offers smile.png

I don't really see how not having the 802.11n could be a problem,

at least for me with Internet at no more than 17 Mbps

and no device able to manage a more than 54 Mbps transmission...

img_0449_resize.jpg

• Like 1

So true.

Always funny that people believe they could improve their internet speed by a few Megabits by upgrading from 150 to 300 MBit/s or even higher WiFi. Completely irrelevant in this respect. 150 Mbit/s is still a magnitude from usual internet speeds.

The high WiFi speed is just relevant for connections within the home network (e.g. file transfers from PC to laptop etc.).

For such purposes I connect my PC with laptop with a good old 1 Gbit/s Ethernet cable. Unmatched by any existing WiFi thingy.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

So true.

Always funny that people believe they could improve their internet speed by a few Megabits by upgrading from 150 to 300 MBit/s or even higher WiFi. Completely irrelevant in this respect. 150 Mbit/s is still a magnitude from usual internet speeds.

The high WiFi speed is just relevant for connections within the home network (e.g. file transfers from PC to laptop etc.).

For such purposes I connect my PC with laptop with a good old 1 Gbit/s Ethernet cable. Unmatched by any existing WiFi thingy.

I fully agree with this two statements above.

Actually, I'm quite satisfied with the service of 3bb. First, i get the speed what i pay for. Then, they changed my 7 year old modem a few weeks ago which i connected to a wireless-router. I paid 450 baht for the new 4-port device. 2 weeks later, the new modem/router suddenly stop to work. I went to the 3bb shop in the Threappasit and they gave me a 4port wifi device without to pay the different. That's fair.

Edited by alocacoc

Without knowing how his home is set up how do you know that changing to a 802.11n modem would improve his speed or not. One of the advantages of 802.11n is improved speed over longer distances and less interference from other 2.4ghz devices. No 802.11g setup will ever achieve 54mps however it could limit you to around 20Mbps under normal operations or less if not close to router.

3bb website gives the following prices.

• The price of router 1 Port WIFIis 650 baht and router 4 Port WIFI is 999 baht. (VAT included).
  • I stand by what i said 999 baht for a crap 802.11g modem/router for that amount you could buy a decent 802.11n modem/router. I do not know if they even have gigabit ports on the one they supply, my guess would be not.
  • Ok if you wish to only ever have old 802.11g devices then you will see no improvement.

Finally i decided to switch to the standard package 13/1MB and recognized, that the speed was even better.

http://www.3bb.co.th/uploads/%20%20%20%20%20ตารางPackage3BB-Eng_edit29Oct2014_1.png

Yes, but the "standard package" has a high contention ratio. If lots of people in your neighborhood are downloading you'll be running slow and there's nothing you can do about it as it is all in the fine print on the contract with no promises of actual speed. I have an expensive CAT fiber optic service and even that is shared with no promises. Fortunately my service is not very popular due to its price (nearly 6K per month), so I don't share with too many people. Usually only hotels and guesthouses will shell out that much.

You've also got to remember that we live in Thailand, and most people who use internet here are Thai and would visit a lot of Thai websites and get fast speeds. For the rest of us we have to understand that the European and US servers are distant and you're not going to get the ping rates you get back at home. 200 - 300 + ms is the best you're going to achieve to European and US servers no matter what packages you get.

I disagree that Thailand is extremely backward regarding Internet services available, but the problem is the fast services are very pricey, but they are available.... who wants to pay for their own Internet Leased Line, but all the major Internet providers have them available. You'll need to be sitting down when you see the prices.biggrin.png They're mainly used by Corporations. You have to contact the sales staff to get quotes on these private services. You can even get 100% speed to International servers if you wish.

It's always the same. People rubbish Thailand's services based on the prices of similar back at home....and then they get the bargain basement service and complain that its crap and that they expected more. It's the price you pay to live here - take it or leave it. Some things cost more here some cost less. It balances out.

• Like 1

It's always the same. People rubbish Thailand's services based on the prices of similar back at home....and then they get the bargain basement service and complain that its crap and that they expected more. It's the price you pay to live here - take it or leave it. Some things cost more here some cost less. It balances out.

You make the point. And this is also valid for other services and products. When people ask for similar quality of services or products as in the west, they will learn that Thailand is quite expensive.

• Like 1

// I stand by what i said 999 baht for a crap 802.11g modem/router for that amount you could buy a decent 802.11n modem/router.

I do not know if they even have gigabit ports on the one they supply, my guess would be not //

I come back on this point. Where did you see that 3BB routers are 801.11g "only" ?

Ok, I have a 801.11g router wink.png ... but mine is 5 years old and not many 11g to be found at that time...

Now I would like to know what modem-wifi-router you get nowadays from 3BB ?

I saw that someone who subscribed in 2014 got a ZyXEL router.

I am not 100% sure about the model, but I it looks like this one : http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/nbg_418n.shtml?t=p smile.png

I would not be surprised at all to learn that all new routers that 3BB provide are 801.11n smile.png

The routers have 3BB's name on them. A new install recently in a house about a year ago they supplied was only 802.11g. If someone got a Zyxel router they may have run out of the 3BB branded ones. The ones they supply now may be 802.11n but single antenna only

The better 802.11n routers have two antennas for double speed 300Mbs instead of 150Mbs.

Edited by DPGumbypgh