Retirement Extn. – Under Consideration. New Hoops?

I went into Udon Thani Immigration yesterday to do my annual extension, 4th on this current Non “O” visa. All my paperwork was in order, the officer puts a stamp into my passport then tells me to come back in 30 days to get my full extension. I cannot have a Re-entry Permit until then either

Whilst she was doing her thing I asked her, through TW, when this requirement was implemented she replied since August, “the army have instructed us to do it this way”! – OK, I thought that’s when the crack down on retirement extns, took place.

Why hadn’t I seen any mention of this goal post move on ThaiVisa or UdonMap?

I then asked her why 2 friends were granted their full extns., in the last two weeks. AND this was very inconvenient for me as TW and I are going to Australia early in the new year.

She then tells me, through TW, she can expedite “under consideration” for 1000 Baht.

Presto 12 Month extension and re-entry permit – the consideration lasted 5 minutes.

post-18212-0-10128500-1419638866_thumb.j

The 30 day under consideration period for a extension based upon retirement is only a policy of Udon immigration and one other office. There are no new rules and am I certain they were not told by army to do it.

You could of gotten a re-entry permit for the 30 days.

• Like 2

she replied since August, “the army have instructed us to do it this way”!

She then tells me, through TW, she can expedite “under consideration” for 1000 Baht.

That is, the army told her, gouge out one grand whenever possible.

• Like 1

When does your current extension expire?

11th Jan 2015

Is it possible that your TW mentioned to the officer that you intended leaving the country within a few weeks and also required a re-entry permit. If that's the case, the officer recognised a tea money opportunity by issuing the "under consideration" stamp.

The fact that it was a rort is evidenced by the immediate issuance of the renewal. I bet you didn't get receipt for the 1k baht either.

Don't give them any more info than they need - if they see a chance to score, they will.

• Like 2

In October I was given a one month extension as and told to come back. Reason given to me was that ranking person was not available to sign. Returned in one month, showed payment receipt, picked up new extension based on retirement and got a reentry permit. Only disadvantage was making a second trip to Udon Thani from NongBuaLamPhu.

you gave into a corruption scam, shame on you, why are people so gutless? you should have reported her.

I'm guessing you don't live here!

I live here and I know that if corrupted officers are getting away with it, soon it won't just be 2 offices doing but the all country

• Like 2

And continue jumping through hoops to find the continually moving goal posts. Yep that's me, a gutless payer of corruption. I've got the ending I wanted but you would prefer I be a marked man for the rest of my Thai life.annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0bWXwkG Do you honestly think I would have received my extension after the consideration period if I had kicked up a stink?

Refusing to pay a bribe is not kicking up a stink, you should have told her you would report her. Corruption is like a cancer, it thrives on those that let themselves be infected.

she replied since August, “the army have instructed us to do it this way”!

That is, the army told her, gouge out one grand whenever possible.

sounds like local gouge to me. in my case the man said that he did not have any "small Money"! told him to keep the change and but lunch. it was a three hundred baht tip. if you are moving before next year you can complain to the head man, may or may not do any good, either way if you do that don't go back there!

I went into Udon Thani Immigration yesterday to do my annual extension, 4th on this current Non “O” visa.

If you've done extensions of stay 4 times, your non-O visa is neither current nor valid, which is why you need a re-entry permit in place of your long-expired visa if you plan to do any border crossings. You are extending your permission to stay within Thailand, not your visa that allowed you to enter the country.

• Like 1

I went into Udon Thani Immigration yesterday to do my annual extension, 4th on this current Non “O” visa.

If you've done extensions of stay 4 times, your non-O visa is neither current nor valid, which is why you need a re-entry permit in place of your long-expired visa if you plan to do any border crossings. You are extending your permission to stay within Thailand, not your visa that allowed you to enter the country.

What he said is Ok, at least he did not say he was renewing his retirement visa which is what a lot post

I registered to Thaivisa a long time ago and still get the daily informations, but when I tried to sign in to answer to this topic it didn't accept my username and my emailaddress either, always said it's not registered.

So I opened a new account but I am NOT a newbie.

Living on a retirement visa in Udonthani for many years I can confirm that immigration things in Udonthani have changed.

I went last november to do my annual visa extension. Old visa would have expired in december. They told me to claim the final visa I have to come back again exactly 1 month later which was AFTER the expiring dat of my old visa. On my request they told me that depending on new rules they have to send all documents to Bangkok.

That wasn't a problem at all, but they did not accept the bank statement which was exactly the same I used for immigration Udonthani many years without any problems. At this morning I showed the bank the old statement from last year and they printed me a new one with the new dates and amount of my fixed account.

Anyway, immigration wanted it on a new way, said the "law" has changed, which is bullshit.

The bank reworded the certificate and I went back to immigration and got a stamp in my passport with the date - 1 month later - I had to show up again.

I gave the office lady exactly 1.900 Baht so that I not had to wait/ask for any change!

One month later it took only a few minutes to get the visa stamped in my passport.

I am in touch with many friends living all around Thailand and some of them renewed visa during the last 3 months. They all got their final visa extension on the same day when they applied for it, nobody had to come again. Seems Udonthani is running a special way. I am not sure that they really have to send documents to Bangkok or are this only false pretences to have time to investigate about people's documents? I know a lot of foreigners in Udonthani living on faked visa but this way won't help the immigration to identify the cheaters!

Edited by FarangUdonG

I extended in October. I was given the stamp. There was not suggestion that they could speed things up, and 30 days later, they put the stamps in my passport. The most often reason given for the 30 day delay is that an immigration inspector must check the applications.

My take on it is that it will be inconvenient for some and problematic for others, but if the applications are truly being checked by somebody thoroughly fammilliar with current requirements, we might see a reduction in painful and sometimes expensive misunderstandings.

My reaction to this topic is that it (again) confirms that the "rules" vary from office to office. At the Ranong office they will not issue a letter of residence unless the gov't office that requires it, like for a driving license, sends a letter requesting it. WHAT a pain! Otherwise no hassles. I would agree with the OP if the delay cost me my trip out of the country. If not, I'd have whipped out my camera and taken her pic while informing her that she's being reported. Those who agree to the bribe are perpetuating the problem. Those who think I should just go back home may well see that happen. It never changes and it wears me out.

• Like 1

you gave into a corruption scam, shame on you, why are people so gutless? you should have reported her.

You want it NOW, or maybe NEVER? Sometimes, if you need to get on down the road, you have to grease the skids. "Make a problem" and they will remember you always. And not in a good way.

OP was correct in his actions.