Oil Changes and Reusing Drain Bolt Crush Gaskets

RubberSideDown

I did an oil change today (which I do every 2K miles once the bike is broken in), and I took a close look at the drain bolt crush gasket as I often see questions about them in threads on various boards (asking if it needs to be changed). From what I've heard, shops tend to reuse them rather than swap them out (they're a cheap part in the States- I bought a dozen from Parts Unlimited for 25 cents each)- maybe it's tough finding OEM gaskets here.

I tossed the bike up on the Bursig stand (the sharp-eyed among you will spot the torque wrench and official Hello Kitty drain pan) and dumped the old oil (with a socket extension it's not necessary to remove any body work to access the filter or drain bolt on the 14R, which makes it really easy):

post-176811-0-24252000-1419738400_thumb.

For comparison, the old crush gasket is next to a new one- it's clearly indented about 1mm from the edge (the drain bolt was torqued down at 22lb/ft- the filter is torqued to 13lb/ft):

post-176811-0-94540000-1419738433_thumb.

However, flipped over, it's as smooth as new, with no scoring or indentations:

post-176811-0-96935100-1419738448_thumb.

Based on what I saw, I wouldn't worry too much about turning it over and reusing it (the edge of the indented side would flatten, and the difference in width would be negligible), but I'd only do it once, as I think it would then be compressed to the point where it wouldn't be able to create a proper seal.

• Like 1

You should be able to reverse it & it will be as good. Next time have them order several new ones so you have them on hand. As long as it isn't leaking while torqued down your fine.I have reused on other bikes but only do the trick one time in a pinch.

I can't see what difference it would make which way around it is, it needs to be sealed around the bolt head and the casing and when it is tightened if it leaks you have a problem, if it doesn't you don't.

I have never seen a Thai change one, on a bike car or anything, although these washers are quite widely available. So I keep a couple in and when I change the oil on my big bike I change it if there is any deformation at all, I don't do oil changes on the Wave so I don't know, but have no leaks on either bike.

Some while ago I took a friend's old Wave in for repairs and when we got it back the sump plug was leaking, I found the washer they had reused was too thin (perhaps warn too thin) and part of the thread had been stripped, so we added another washer and it held.

It's a crush washer- it has to deform to some degree to create a proper seal, which is why it makes a difference (to some point) which way around it is- it will eventually reach a point where it won't compress anymore and will leak. I think flipping it once would be fine, and would create a new crush area rather than reusing the old one, which seems like it could expand and possibly fail- I always use a fresh one as I have them on hand, but I was just pointing out that they should be able to be used at least twice (and probably more than that, but push it too far and it will fail). I keep the old ones just in case. Of course, there will be people who have used the same one a dozen times with no ill effects, but why take the chance?

I was bored today (no riding, just a bit of wrenching;)), so I thought I'd toss up a couple of pics.

I've read about Kawasaki shops reusing them (and even performing oil changes without changing the filter), which is why I brought it up. I've got oil, filters, and gaskets on-hand, but not everyone does (and it might not even occur to someone that they need one)- my point is that if you're due for an oil change and a gasket isn't available, you can reuse your old one once (and possibly more) without an issue rather than waiting until you can source one.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

Okay I see your point but big bike mechanics from the big Japanese brands should be trained and know things like that.

I noticed in Aut. car dealer ships they seems to take it much more serious.

When I have my Thai scooters "serviced" it's a joke, it's a oil change only and they always ask me if I want the oil filter changed and I says; yes please. Not all models have a proper paper filter but more like a metal net type that can be blown though with air and good to go again.

2k miles = app 3200 km, it's 4000km on the small scooters but I often change earlier than that myself too.

Just out of curiosity how do you get rid of the old oil?

I'm referring more to people who do their own maintenence- I've just heard a few disappointing stories from the various service centers in LOS?

I have a 20L bottle that I dump my old oil into- evey four changes I bring it to a local car service center and pay a few baht to have them take it off my hands.

• Like 1

I've always used new crush washer if one is available otherwise I just turn it around and re-use.

I know of one bright spark who thought it was just a matter of tightening the plug a bit tighter.....which stretches the thread so next time the plug was out so was a lot of alloy from the thread!

Was the days before helicoils became popular, so it was an expensive fix.

The manual of course says to use a new one, but an OEM crush gasket isn't always available- my price of 25 cents is delivered to an address in the US and brought over for me- it's not about the money, but rather the access to the part.;)

How are you liking your Bursig stand mate? :)

post-6366-14198652400698_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm referring more to people who do their own maintenence- I've just heard a few disappointing stories from the various service centers in LOS?

I have a 20L bottle that I dump my old oil into- evey four changes I bring it to a local car service center and pay a few baht to have them take it off my hands.

I give my 2-3k old oil to my father in law. He uses it in the farm bike etc.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I really like the Bursig stand- the Abba SuperBike stand would have been a good choice as well, but it takes a little longer to get the front wheel off the ground as a strap has to be used. If I could get the new Abba Sky Lift, though (which lifts the bike higher and allows the front or rear to be elevated), I'd trade it in.;)

skylift17.jpg

Those stands look like a make called ABBA we have in England. Fantastic and much more stable than a paddock stand. Nice Ducati . Im slightly worried about the Hello Kitty situation.cheesy.gif

I don't get your joke? Please explain to the dimwit (me) :)

I've always used new crush washer if one is available otherwise I just turn it around and re-use.

I know of one bright spark who thought it was just a matter of tightening the plug a bit tighter.....which stretches the thread so next time the plug was out so was a lot of alloy from the thread!

Was the days before helicoils became popular, so it was an expensive fix.

I don't know how many people I come across with that thinking. On another note I converted my drain plug to a new style that uses an O ring. So far so good. Though I have kept the old drain plug and several new crush washers as back up. I also have new Orings as well.