Western New Year In Chiang Mai

camsouth

well my wife and i are new here in the city. still looking around at things ect so where are good places to go to bring in the new year. bars locations that offer views views of the city fireworks ect and that are safe . this is our first new year together as a married couple been married 9 months . so any help or ideas would be great.

• Like 1

I should think that the best place to celebrate a "Western New Year" would be in a western country.

My wife and I are going to celebrate a real Thai New Year with neighbours. That means a barbecue washed down with copious amounts of Lao Khao and other homebrews.

By midnight we're usually all pissed and hogwild. The fireworks we set off are positively unsafe...

If I wanted to stay safe I would never have left my homecountry.

Sawadee Phi Mai!

ok i guess if you are going that way let me restate it. LOL whats happen around chia

ng mai

• Like 1

Pedantry aside (yes, this event is Western New Year, as opposed to Thai New Year in April), I'm going to do the usual:

1. Park the kids somewhere.
  2. Drive into town, avoiding the most likely spots where cars with Bangkok license plates build the mother of all traffic jams.(Moat between Chiang Mai Gate and Thapae specifically. And Nimmanhaemin / Huay Kaew of course, but I avoid that area at the best of times.)
  3. Bars on Loy Kroh Road, near the moat. With so many people of all ilk and gender around, most will have a real hard time maintaining seediness standards, making for an environment suitable for all. Typical barfly crowd goes in hiding in MM Soi 2.
  4. Before midnight walk to Thapae Gate. Count down to 2015.
  5. Walk on to Zoe / Reggae Area / Kad Boon Yoo. Be impressed by the metric F#&ton of people there. Give up getting a drink and get one from a smaller bar or 7-Eleven.
  6. Walk all the way back. Unless Jesus manifests himself as a tuk tuk driver, miraculously offering to drive us for under 100 baht. Might even get a loom and stay the night, only driving back in the morning. You know, police checkpoints crazy drunk drivers.

In summary though Thapae Gate is good for half an hour and the actual countdown to New Year. Just pick bars or restaurants you like before and after. Shout out for Tiger Kingdom In Town if you don't appreciate Loy Kroh even in this family friendliest of guises, and can get a reservation.

Plan B Bar in case Loy Kroh doesn't work for any reason: Inter Bar on Thapae Rd, near the gate. Because usually not very busy, but hopefully 'just right' on this night. (Also keep other bars in mind that would normally be dead, but could just be in the Goldilocks Zone on NYE.)

All of the above assumes you're not CM Expat Club types, easily fooled by fancy organized hotel events that'll bore you to tears. smile.png

Also assumes you're not 20-somethings out for a proper party, then Spicy/Lucky/Bubble is on the cards after Zoe.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

I should think that the best place to celebrate a "Western New Year" would be in a western country.

My wife and I are going to celebrate a real Thai New Year with neighbours. That means a barbecue washed down with copious amounts of Lao Khao and other homebrews.

By midnight we're usually all pissed and hogwild. The fireworks we set off are positively unsafe...

Sawadee Phi Mai!

Address, please.

Sawadee Phi Mai!

We're going to be doing something very similar.

Last year on a visit home, my second daughter who is working and studying in the US, bought some land in Saraphi; part of a lumyai orchard that we are diversifying with other fruit trees and a fishpond.

My wife is having a Thai style house built on it. Acting as her own contractor, she bought two old teak houses and hired three local carpenters to dismantle them and build the new house. It's about 80% finished.

The guys are doing such a good job that we want to throw a New Year's Eve geen lee-ung for them and any family members who want to come.

My wife and I plan to spend the night in the new place on a mattress under a moong because I won't be in any condition to make the half hour drive back to town.

Happy New Year Chiang Mai... all the best in 2015 - 2558.

• Like 1

well i like that idea wife wants to do the lantern and let it fly i dont know where to get one here in cm to knew here i guess but that sounds good for our first time here. neither one of us speak thai yet lol but will

Pedantry aside (yes, this event is Western New Year, as opposed to Thai New Year in April), I'm going to do the usual:

2. Drive into town, avoiding the most likely spots where cars with Bangkok license plates build the mother of all traffic jams.(Moat between Chiang Mai Gate and Thapae specifically. And Nimmanhaemin / Huay Kaew of course, but I avoid that area at the best of times.)
  3. Bars on Loy Kroh Road, near the moat. With so many people of all ilk and gender around, most will have a real hard time maintaining seediness standards, making for an environment suitable for all. Typical barfly crowd goes in hiding in MM Soi 2.
  5. Walk on to Zoe / Reggae Area / Kad Boon Yoo. Be impressed by the metric F#&ton of people there. Give up getting a drink and get one from a smaller bar or 7-Eleven.
  6. Walk all the way back. Unless Jesus manifests himself as a tuk tuk driver, miraculously offering to drive us for under 100 baht. Might even get a loom and stay the night, only driving back in the morning. You know, police checkpoints crazy drunk drivers.

In summary though Thapae Gate is good for half an hour and the actual countdown to New Year. Just pick bars or restaurants you like before and after. Shout out for Tiger Kingdom In Town if you don't appreciate Loy Kroh even in this family friendliest of guises, and can get a reservation.

Plan B Bar in case Loy Kroh doesn't work for any reason: Inter Bar on Thapae Rd, near the gate. Because usually not very busy, but hopefully 'just right' on this night. (Also keep other bars in mind that would normally be dead, but could just be in the Goldilocks Zone on NYE.)

All of the above assumes you're not CM Expat Club types, easily fooled by fancy organized hotel events that'll bore you to tears. smile.png

Also assumes you're not 20-somethings out for a proper party, then Spicy/Lucky/Bubble is on the cards after Zoe.

Sawadee Phi Mai!

So then your Thai new year celebration is in April... Probably getting quite wet in the process..

Perfectly normal to point out Jan is western calendar new year.. Chinese is (usually) early Feb.. Thai is mid april etc etc..

But of course with your aspirations of assimilation and holier than thou looking down on a new arrival you knew that anyway..

• Like 2

well i like that idea wife wants to do the lantern and let it fly i dont know where to get one here in cm to knew here i guess but that sounds good for our first time here. neither one of us speak thai yet lol but will

Typically in Thailand, the things you need for any kind of festivity will be right there in front of you when you want them, including people selling lanterns.

Personally if I want to make 100% sure I get some then I buy them at a store selling Buddhist paraphernalia, for example the one near the corner of the bridge near the Holiday Inn. (On the side where the hospital is, immediately on the left when turning North towards downtown.)

Not suggesting you go on a wild chase there to buy them though, as chances are they will sell them in the area. For reference though (in case someone ever needs them for a birthday or whatever), that shop sells them year-round, here: https://goo.gl/maps/9os6J

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

If you want a really classy, and expensive, experience try the 137 Pillars.

If you want packed and packaged, and for me a rather hollow experience (and still quite expensive), then go for a big hotel.

I prefer to either eat at The Dukes on the east side of the river and then walk North to the green bit just past the Thanon Charoen Muang bridge. There we buy lanterns and fireworks and engage in a not so safe but very exhilarating hour of fun, with the main show going off from the bridge to the north. I do provide visitors and kids with safety glasses. The real fun for me is not being bound by all the safety regulations. But it is not for everyone. But then I also like driving in Thailand and any other suicidal activity that reminds me I am still alive.

I should add it is two years since I was on the river. Went to Thapae Gate last NY. Ok, but not as much fun as the river area.

Edited by Mousehound
  • Like 2

For a "Western New Year" party, you could try here

attachicon.gifwestern.jpg

Out on hwy 1317 towards Mae On

I have actually ridden past that a few times & the word Steak caught my eye smile.png

Ever eaten there yourself?

No, I heard it was quite pricey. "cowboy ripoff", top quality, or keeping the riff-raff out? No idea.

• Like 1

They have already set up all the market stalls all along Thapae Road. Frankly I hate it. There are so many people that it is hard to move. It is suffocating.

Back in the old days, people would drink elsewhere and about 10 minutes before midnight everyone would go to Thapae Gate for the countdown and fireworks. THAT was fun.

Yes I think I will avoid the moat area completely this year

I don't know about the very old days but the last couple of years it is just too congested

A Thai New Years in January is not much different from a Western one - except it is easier to find female company for lonely old farts.

The voice of experience has spoken.

I would have thought that the lonely old farts on this occasion would stretch the demand for female companionship.

Should be no problem at Tha Pai Gate. Also there is generally a pretty good show at the Anshan market in the Night Bazaar area. The one that has O'Malley's bar in it.

I have probably screwed up the word Anashan Moderators feel free to fix it.

They have already set up all the market stalls all along Thapae Road. Frankly I hate it. There are so many people that it is hard to move. It is suffocating.

Back in the old days, people would drink elsewhere and about 10 minutes before midnight everyone would go to Thapae Gate for the countdown and fireworks. THAT was fun.

I don't know about the very old days but the last couple of years it is just too congested

That's my feeling as well. I drove past Pratu Thapae yesterday and this year they have tons of junk food sellers and trinket sellers completely congesting the area - like on Sunday nights. In past years that area was left open for people to congregate, for the bands to play, etc. So I'm guessing everyone will be out in the street this year like the Songkran Festival. I've partied in that area every NYE since about 2006-2007 and honestly last year I didn't enjoy it one bit at all, and tonight I will give it a pass. It has become way too crowded.

My opinion is that the moat area has become somewhat grotty and that since C.M. has "grown up" so much the last couple of years, that there are so many other options for places to go; not only NYE but every night. I've been going out quite often lately and I really like the area by Nimmanhaeman and Huay Kaew. The bars up on the roof of MAYA are very nice, there is plenty of bars around Nimmanhaemann, plenty of people and action. I've also had a couple of fun evenings up at the rooftop bars at the min-mall near the bus station. The crowd there is a little less pretentious than MAYA roof top bars. And for people who live out in the outlying areas and are worried about driving in to the city, the Prom always has good music, inexpensive drinks, and a nice atmosphere in the evenings. No doubt they will have something going on there tonight. Those should offer a decent alternative to the moat area for NYE. Of course the above-mentioned places don't have ex-pat bars or hookers, so if that is what you are after then better stick with the moat/Loy Kroh. I always take my kid out with me on New Year's Eve so I don't care about that. This year we will go to one of the other places.

Wherever you end up - stay safe and have fun!

When referring to the mini mall by the bus station is it the Star Avenue location across from Big C Extra? Is it obvious how to find the rooftop establishments?

This makes me wonder if the Star Avenue location on Mahidol Road near Chiang Mai Land has any rooftop restaurants/bars. Or any decent restaurants for that matter. Anyone checked out this location?

Grin

That's my feeling as well. I drove past Pratu Thapae yesterday and this year they have tons of junk food sellers and trinket sellers completely congesting the area - like on Sunday nights. In past years that area was left open for people to congregate, for the bands to play, etc. So I'm guessing everyone will be out in the street this year like the Songkran Festival. I've partied in that area every NYE since about 2006-2007 and honestly last year I didn't enjoy it one bit at all, and tonight I will give it a pass. It has become way too crowded.

My opinion is that the moat area has become somewhat grotty and that since C.M. has "grown up" so much the last couple of years, that there are so many other options for places to go; not only NYE but every night. I've been going out quite often lately and I really like the area by Nimmanhaeman and Huay Kaew. The bars up on the roof of MAYA are very nice, there is plenty of bars around Nimmanhaemann, plenty of people and action. I've also had a couple of fun evenings up at the rooftop bars at the min-mall near the bus station. The crowd there is a little less pretentious than MAYA roof top bars. And for people who live out in the outlying areas and are worried about driving in to the city, the Prom always has good music, inexpensive drinks, and a nice atmosphere in the evenings. No doubt they will have something going on there tonight. Those should offer a decent alternative to the moat area for NYE. Of course the above-mentioned places don't have ex-pat bars or hookers, so if that is what you are after then better stick with the moat/Loy Kroh. I always take my kid out with me on New Year's Eve so I don't care about that. This year we will go to one of the other places.

Wherever you end up - stay safe and have fun!

When referring to the mini mall by the bus station is it the Star Avenue location across from Big C Extra? Is it obvious how to find the rooftop establishments?

Yes, that's it. My brain wasn't functioning too well at 4:00 or 5:00 this morning. I couldn't remember what it was called. After a few hours sleep I'm thinking more clearly. smile.png

Yes, obvious - just walk up the stairs to the top. There are 3 (I think) large rooftop bars up there, lots of seating, live music, drink promos, etc. A nice crowd up there; not overly hi-so.

Cheers,

Star Avenue also hosts the new CM branch of Sunrise Tacos. IMO Miguel's is much better, but ST it might be worth visiting for a change of pace.

I took one look and passed. Food didn't look very Mexican. I think they used stock photos in the menu - but I am not sure of course. Run by a couple of young Thai guys. Rent has to be super expensive and the 3 times I have been at Star Avenue the last 2 weeks there has only been one or two tables occupied. I wish them luck.

Edit: UG - is this place a branch of the place near Th. Khao San in Bangkok? Maybe I'm thinking of another place in that area.

Edited by elektrified

well thank you all for the input , we will explore some of these places. looking forward to it and thank all from tv who made suggestions wish you all a safe and happy new year

cheers

Edited by camsouth

Star Avenue also hosts the new CM branch of Sunrise Tacos. IMO Miguel's is much better, but ST it might be worth visiting for a change of pace.

I took one look and passed. Food didn't look very Mexican. I think they used stock photos in the menu - but I am not sure of course. Run by a couple of young Thai guys. Rent has to be super expensive and the 3 times I have been at Star Avenue the last 2 weeks there has only been one or two tables occupied. I wish them luck.

Edit: UG - is this place a branch of the place near Th. Khao San in Bangkok? Maybe I'm thinking of another place in that area.

well i found the salsa kitchen, and has a pretty good food was surprised in fact . being from the states and been to mexico a few times.its not bad where is Miguel's located

well i found the salsa kitchen, and has a pretty good food was surprised in fact . being from the states and been to mexico a few times.its not bad where is Miguel's located

Miguels is on the outer moat, heading towards Pratu Taphae, it's on the left. 106/1 Cahiyaphum