Arrested and fined for shoplifting in Bangkok

I was arrested at Bangkok Airport for shoplifting in the year 2010 for a chocolate bar worth 200Bh. I was chargesheeted by police and produced before court within a week and on pleading guilty was fined 500Bh. I paid the fine and was

deported back to resident country, even though my tourist visa was valid.

Now after 4 years can I again apply and get visa for visiting Bangkok ? Is there any law in Thailand which

probhits persons once found guilty of theft to visit the country again?

• Like 1

The easiest way is to go to any Thai Embassy and apply for a tourist visa.If you get this visa then you shouldn't have a problem to come to Thailand. If you are blacklisted they will refuse your visa.

Thai embassies and consulate do not check for blacklisting before issuing a visa. They are not linked to immigration's database to do it.

this begs the question.. why on earth not? What is the point of issuing visas if there are zero checks made on the applicants?

• Like 1

Change of Passport sometime helps, as most of the information kept by the authorities

goes by numbers... another legal way of circumventing such issue, id one to slightly change

the spelling of his name by deed poll and get a new passport, 100% legal...

Yes a chocolate bar is a serious offense when the value is >100THB.

Depending on the country you were returned to and the circumstances of the deportation would determine the final outcome. To give a full assessment you need to disclose which country and how was the return ticket paid for?

The easiest way is to go to any Thai Embassy and apply for a tourist visa.If you get this visa then you shouldn't have a problem to come to Thailand. If you are blacklisted they will refuse your visa.

Thai embassies and consulate do not check for blacklisting before issuing a visa. They are not linked to immigration's database to do it.

Embassies responsible for issuing visas are not linked to immigration's database! TIT

No wonder Thailand allows so many foreign criminals to return again and again.

If they are blacklisted they would not be able to enter the country with a visa. It seems that would be additional punishment if they flew in after getting a visa and were denied entry.

Shouldn't be an issue but you can always get it checked by app,ting for a visa at your nearest thai embassy.

This suggestion was already done earlier in the thread, and this suggestion is not correct since there is no blacklist check at the nearest Thai embassy.

this begs the question.. why on earth not? What is the point of issuing visas if there are zero checks made on the applicants?

I guess some checks are made. Thai visa like a visa issued by any other country does not guarantee entry - immigration officers can deny entry.

It seems very petty to deport someone over such a minor incident regardless of the circumstances surrounding the case.

From what I've read here there is a stamp placed into your passport when you're deported.

This stamp and the details in Thai on it will provide further information.